Anyone neurodiverse in here?

Just that. I am neurodiverse myself and I'm wondering how it is for any of you that have HPPD along with autism and/or adhd. I've found it's made my sensory issues worse. And when the sensory issues are triggered my HPPD flares up more. I can't go into grocery stores or anything like that even with very powerful noise cancelling headphones and sunglasses. It was already very difficult for me to do but now it's too much to force myself to tolerate. I'm afraid of going outside at all too. Or even leaving the room I stay in all day. Maybe a bit of agoraphobia.

I've never been diagnosed with anything, but I do wonder if I am on the spectrum somewhere... I really struggle with eye contact and sometimes struggle with social cues... That might just be from HPPD though.

Back when I was a teen, in the 90s, you were either clearly autistic or not... The idea of being mildly autistic wasn't really a thing. 

I've never had anything prior to HPPD and visual snow but ever since onset at like around 23 I've been diagnosed with anxiety, depression and visual snow. Some doctors love to through the word bipolar around. I would definitely consider myself neurodiverse ever since I got this. I've had panic attacks only after having HPPD. I don't have them anymore. I also had tinnitus and many other things but most of that calmed down. But autism and ADHD I don't have.

The anxiety and depression is considered clinical and not just like oh I'm feeling a little anxious and depressed today lol.

Edited by brake

Yes. 

I realized I was on the spectrum somewhere after all this stuff happened to me.

Some of my friends knew it though and some other people avoided me for unknown reasons in the past. Now I know why.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2024 at 5:22 PM, brake said:

I've never had anything prior to HPPD and visual snow but ever since onset at like around 23 I've been diagnosed with anxiety, depression and visual snow. Some doctors love to through the word bipolar around. I would definitely consider myself neurodiverse ever since I got this. I've had panic attacks only after having HPPD. I don't have them anymore. I also had tinnitus and many other things but most of that calmed down. But autism and ADHD I don't have.

The anxiety and depression is considered clinical and not just like oh I'm feeling a little anxious and depressed today lol.

Omg so true about the bipolar! I was diagnosed with bipolar when I was 33 (I’m 45 now.) I damn well know I don’t have it (but who’s gonna believe me, I’m crazy and in denial 🤣) If you fill out the vague questionnaire they give you, then everyone has bipolar. I was told by a psychiatrist in the mental ward (I ended up there from being depressed and panicky and taking 3/4 bottle of Ativan) anyway, he said I don’t have bipolar disorder, that I have Major Depressive Disorder. For some reason after I got out, my therapist and meds prescriber were shocked that this doctor said I was not bipolar (even though the guy is a psychiatrist who deals with hospitalized mental patients for a living.) They insisted he was wrong and did not change my diagnosis. Recently I brought this up, was given one of those stupid questionnaires to fill out…and according to that one-sided piece of paper, I am bipolar. Like wth? Has anyone been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and does not agree with their diagnosis? Just curious.

On 7/6/2024 at 3:13 AM, Shadow said:

https://www.sfari.org/funded-project/regulation-of-kcc2-as-a-target-for-the-treatment-of-autism/

Also, here's why I think the KCC2 drugs wll help us.

We were born with faulty KCC2 channels in my opinion and these drugs (in my case, antidepressants, mirtazapine) pushed us over the edge and BAM.

Interesting. I can't say I understand everything in the article but I am always interested in research that is relevant to me. Also I take mirtazapine every evening before I go to bed. I've considered the possibility of it exacerbating my symptoms, but I tend to feel pretty alright shortly after taking it, (and i also take lorazepam every evening about 2-3 hours before mirtazapine) which says alot because the rest of the day is filled with the weight of anxiety I have to fight with constantly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2024 at 6:22 PM, brake said:

How long did you have tinnitus for and did it fully resolve?

20 hours ago, AmitV said:

How long did you have tinnitus for and did it fully resolve?

I don't remember but it did not fully resolve. It did decrease in intensity and frequency though over the years. It's definitely not one of my main symptoms anymore.