Will going under anesthesia make it worse?

I'm afraid of going under anesthesia. I'm supposed to do it at some point for dental work. I can't have it done awake because I have terrible dental anxiety which has certainly gotten somehow even worse since getting HPPD. I've done it before pre HPPD, and I could remember everything up to the moment it knocked me out. It felt like ketamine for a few moments before I slowly woke up after the procedure. Since many drugs can have a lasting worsening effect on HPPD, I'm very afraid to do it. Especially since I'll be able to feel and remember what the drug feels like before it puts me to sleep. I also have a fear of being conscious during it, I'm not sure how rational that particular fear is but it still scares me. Has anyone here had anesthesia with HPPD? How was it? Do you know which drug/drugs were used?

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2024 at 8:09 AM, raincat said:

I'm afraid of going under anesthesia. I'm supposed to do it at some point for dental work. I can't have it done awake because I have terrible dental anxiety which has certainly gotten somehow even worse since getting HPPD. I've done it before pre HPPD, and I could remember everything up to the moment it knocked me out. It felt like ketamine for a few moments before I slowly woke up after the procedure. Since many drugs can have a lasting worsening effect on HPPD, I'm very afraid to do it. Especially since I'll be able to feel and remember what the drug feels like before it puts me to sleep. I also have a fear of being conscious during it, I'm not sure how rational that particular fear is but it still scares me. Has anyone here had anesthesia with HPPD? How was it? Do you know which drug/drugs were used?

I had an appendectomy before I was on any medication for HPPD. (And any medication, period, I’m on a lot of meds now, lol.) That was a lot of years ago (2004) and I have no idea what I was given to put me under. I don’t recall my HPPD being worse after I woke up and was recovering in the hospital for most of the next day. It seemed like when I got home, my HPPD was worse but that might be because I was on Vicodin, had had multiple pain shots after the procedure while still in the hospital, and was operating on almost no sleep. Opioids increase my visual snow, not a ton, but enough to notice. After that I went back to baseline. Idk if this is helpful? 

7 hours ago, AF44 said:

I had an appendectomy before I was on any medication for HPPD. (And any medication, period, I’m on a lot of meds now, lol.) That was a lot of years ago (2004) and I have no idea what I was given to put me under. I don’t recall my HPPD being worse after I woke up and was recovering in the hospital for most of the next day. It seemed like when I got home, my HPPD was worse but that might be because I was on Vicodin, had had multiple pain shots after the procedure while still in the hospital, and was operating on almost no sleep. Opioids increase my visual snow, not a ton, but enough to notice. After that I went back to baseline. Idk if this is helpful? 

I guess it's helpeful, I'm still too afraid to do it right now though. I wish we had more studies about us. There's so much guessing and reliance on anecdotal evidence for anything HPPD related... Perhaps as psychedelics continue to enter the mainstream, HPPD research will too? Somewhat at least? Especially since psychedelics are supposed to be used to treat people whose issues seem to put them at higher risk for this.

• 1 month later...