Brain fog

Hi! I recently was diagnosed with HPPD and have been struggling with it for the past 4 months. The first month was really bad— ceiling fixtures spinning, walls breathing, sound synthesizing along with really bad DP/DR. This was also happening while I was studying abroad not knowing wtf was happening to me so I had to be evacuated and sent home. After being on Klonopin and Gabapentin for the past few months, my symptoms have improved greatly. Now my only visual symptoms are visual snow, tracers when it’s dark, and auras around objects and people. While these things still bother me, it’s nothing compared to what I was experiencing 4 months ago. The thing that’s really killing me right now is the brain fog. My short term memory is awful along with basic things like remembering the names of people who I’ve known for years. I’m going to be heading back to college in the next couple of weeks and I’m really really nervous. I was wondering if anybody knows of any supplements or methods to get rid of brain fog. My college is kinda far from home so I’d like to try to get anything that could possibly help me while I’m still with family and my therapist nearby. Any suggestions are helpful :). Also! I am thinking of starting Keppra but was wondering who has had good/bad experiences with it. 

- M

• Thanks 1

Hello There,

My suggestion to you is the common remedy you will find on this site.  Live as healthy as possible, find an exercise routine that works for you and stick to it.  Eat well and sleep well.  Learn to meditate and stick with it.  All of these things combined will help your brain recover and ultimately lead you to a more peaceful existence.  I really believe that much of our HPPD symptoms manifest themselves from anxiety and some form of  drug induced PTSD.  Things will get better and it is important to believe this.  The changes will be incremental so it is important to be patient and stick with a good plan that will enable you to pull yourself back together.  It is also very important to stay away from psychoactive substances such as weed and hallucinogens.  From personal experience these substances tend to exacerbate symptoms.  Anyway if you ever want to talk or have any other questions we are here for you.  

Best of luck,

Nick 

• Thanks 1
  • 3 years later...
On 12/22/2018 at 10:14 AM, mth97 said:

Hi! I recently was diagnosed with HPPD and have been struggling with it for the past 4 months. The first month was really bad— ceiling fixtures spinning, walls breathing, sound synthesizing along with really bad DP/DR. This was also happening while I was studying abroad not knowing wtf was happening to me so I had to be evacuated and sent home. After being on Klonopin and Gabapentin for the past few months, my symptoms have improved greatly. Now my only visual symptoms are visual snow, tracers when it’s dark, and auras around objects and people. While these things still bother me, it’s nothing compared to what I was experiencing 4 months ago. The thing that’s really killing me right now is the brain fog. My short term memory is awful along with basic things like remembering the names of people who I’ve known for years. I’m going to be heading back to college in the next couple of weeks and I’m really really nervous. I was wondering if anybody knows of any supplements or methods to get rid of brain fog. My college is kinda far from home so I’d like to try to get anything that could possibly help me while I’m still with family and my therapist nearby. Any suggestions are helpful :). Also! I am thinking of starting Keppra but was wondering who has had good/bad experiences with it. 

- M

how its going ?