Question about nootropics and supplements

Hey I'm new to this but I have been a Nootropics geek for past few years. You can read more about my symptoms and story below.

Starting from yesterday I stopped taking all Nootropics including caffeine (I am having nasty caffeine withdrawals as I'm writing this) until seeing how my baseline looks like.

In the meantime, I wanna hear from your experience if any of the following nootropic compounds can help/worsen the symptoms?

• NA Semax Amidate
  • Piracetam
  • Aniracetam
  • Fasoracetam
  • Oxiracetam
  • Phenylpiracetam
  • NSI-189
  • BPC-157
  • Forskolin
  • Alpha GPC
  • Uridine MPS/Triacetyluridine
  • Vinpocetine
  • Bromantane
  • Agmatine Sulfate
  • Sulbutiamine
  • ALCAR
  • NAC
  • L-Theanine
  • Lion's Mane Mushroom
  • Ashwagandha
  • CBD Oil
  • Bacopa
  • Rhodiola
  • Ginkgo 
  • Phosphatedyl-Serine
  • Resveratol
  • Pterostilbene

Thank you!

Edited by BillR

I have tried most of the list and sadly nothing has worked for me, but on the plus side, i didn't get any negative effects either. Part of me thinks it's all a placebo, but that might just be me being jealous!

Welcome to the forum!

I can't speak in regards to HPPD symptoms since I have those under control, but the mechanism of action of NAC could be of benefit. I'm currently taking it, not for HPPD-related reasons, but because I'm a recovering alcoholic and want to undo some of that damage, and because I want to go off of my Klonopin at some point, and it sounds like NAC could help there too.

In terms of Piracetam, I took that before I had HPPD, for several months, and I honestly can't report any of the benefits they claim it has.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: As of yesterday I have been taking L-Theanine. I must say, unlike most herbal supplements, I'm actually noticing a pretty decent calming effect. It's too early to know for sure, but if it continues to work this well after a month of use, I think it will be time to begin slowly tapering off of my Klonopin. I've also been using California Poppy extract, which I'm also finding helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill! A lot, in fact all of the ones I have taken, have come with their ups and downs for me. I feel like it is helpful for now to write briefly as it would take more time than I have at the moment to go into depth on why I personally believe any item is "good" or "bad". So heres that and some more--

NNE: No Noticeable Effect

• NA Semax Amidate: NA
  • Piracetam: BAD BAD. There is a very small chance this stuff will melt your brain. Of course my hubris didn't allow me the foresight to understand that could happen to me (the irony being AGAIN duh)... If it helps you it can be a wonder drug. If it melts your brain well.... suicide becomes a very real and probable option in a way I never understood during even the worst of my hppd from LSD. 
  • Aniracetam: BAD BAD
  • Fasoracetam: NA
  • Oxiracetam: BAD BAD
  • Phenylpiracetam: BAD BAD
  • NSI-189: GREAT
  • BPC-157: GREAT, currently I only know of 4 people with hppd who have tried this--Myself and three others. Three had extrememly positive reactions and one had an extremely negative reaction that improved over time. This must be carefully sourced ESPECIALLY if injected. 
  • Forskolin: NA, good for increasing cyclic AMP.
  • Alpha GPC: NNE
  • Uridine MPS/Triacetyluridine: GOOD, i must watch mood for excess choline symptoms
  • Vinpocetine: NA
  • Bromantane: NA
  • Agmatine Sulfate: GOOD, may enhance a lot of other drugs
  • Sulbutiamine: GOOD, bad for people with severe methylation issues
  • ALCAR: GOOD, bad for people with severe methylation issues
  • NAC: GOOD, bad for people with severe methylation issues
  • L-Theanine: YMMV
  • Lion's Mane Mushroom: GOOD (If used chronically causes sever depression for me. Stops upon taking it after 1-2 days)
  • Ashwagandha: GOOD
  • CBD Oil: GOOD
  • Bacopa: GOOD
  • Rhodiola: NNE
  • Ginkgo: GOOD
  • Phosphatedyl-Serine: NNE
  • Resveratol: NNE 
  • Pterostilbene: NA

I also currently use many of these  

• Selegiline

• Pramipexole

• CBG

• CBN

• D8-Thc

• Memantine

• Naltrexone

• Selank

• Kava

•Intranasal Insulin (highly recommend)

Frequent Aerobic Exercise 

• I purify all my air with hepa or hyperhepa air filters

• I keep my carbon dioxide levels in good range where I sleep. 

• I keep my spine straight including neck (its amazing what proper posture will do for mood and anxiety)

• I treat my genetic mutations that result in negative physical and mood effects as to encourage a more stable system in which healing can occur. 

Edited by Onemorestep
6 hours ago, Onemorestep said:

this stuff will melt your brain

Um, what?

Curious what you're talking about.

Same with "bad for people with severe methylation issues ", what do you mean (in regards to NAC)?

You also mention genetic mutations, do you have other disorders besides HPPD?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but intranasal insulin? Why are you recommending that? Same with Kava: Kava can cause bad liver damage unless prepared a certain way.