STAR BURSTING

I was just wondering how many of you on here expierence this symptom and how you cope with it as it is very hard to ignore? I have been to a neuro opthamoligist and apparently my eyes are perfectly fine, though to me they are getting worse so i gather it must be the HPPD, what would be the main trigger for this? would there be anything i could do to manage this symptom improve?

post-1473-0-37567600-1333264180_thumb.jpg It looks exactly like this and happens in daylight when the sunlight reflects off anything

Yeah, it can be caused by other things.

Halos around lights can be caused by laser eye surgery as well. As can ghosting.

But it doesn't mean there is damage to our eyes. A cough can be caused by a cold, or by throat cancer.

People have a reduction on symptoms with certain meds. This wouldn't happen if there was the same type of damage to the eyes as there is when laser eye surgery goes wrong.

Irrespective of all this, I do find it odd how we have some symptoms similar to people who have problems with their actual eyes.

Very strange, ghosting also accompanies this symptom but i can handle that, this makes it extremely hard to get around during nice sunny days, even sunglasses do not help like they once did. oh well i guess ill just have to suck it up and hope it gets better over time. thanks guys

yeah this symptom is annoying as hell. it gets to me most when im driving on the highway and all the on-coming traffic (headlights) is just a bunch of starbursts heading my way and distracting me. sometimes i squint really hard and it will lessen/dissappear for a minute but then go back to normal.

Thats my main concern, i don't drive yet but want to get my liscence and i can see this being a major issue. If i squint all i see is a tonne of floaters and my ghosting is a lot more intense, i really cant see a way of dealing with it. it sucks! I've been trying to focus on the road when im in other peoples cars or on the bus to work but all i see is massive star bursts which then cause me to go blind if they hit me directly in the eye

• 1 month later...

My ophthalmologist recommended waring amber colored lenses while driving at night. Probably could even wear during the day

Curious, I find amber the worse color. High-pressure-sodium street lamps (yellow ones) are the worst. I've got prescription blue tinted glasses - but don't notice they help starbursts.

I suspect starbursts involve the retinal horizontal cells. But that wouldn't necessarily explain why laser eye surgery would cause it. They don't specify the type of laser surgery. If it is for glaucoma (high eye pressure) then this would make sense. Glaucoma causes reduced blood flow which damages the retina. Once the pressure is reduced, the retina recovers some but the starbursts could represent residual injury. Again, they didn't say the type of laser, whereas for floaters they specifically mention LASIK http://www.visionsimulations.com/

Thats my main concern, i don't drive yet but want to get my liscence and i can see this being a major issue. If i squint all i see is a tonne of floaters and my ghosting is a lot more intense, i really cant see a way of dealing with it. it sucks! I've been trying to focus on the road when im in other peoples cars or on the bus to work but all i see is massive star bursts which then cause me to go blind if they hit me directly in the eye

Just remain calm and 'aim' for the center of what you see - this is how I manage :lol:

Irrespective of all this, I do find it odd how we have some symptoms similar to people who have problems with their actual eyes.

Your reference was excellent on this http://hppdonline.co...ual-perception/

Hyperfunction – "... the mechanism by which loss of visual input results in increased cortical activity is unclear but may relate to changes in thalamocortical circuitry."

Certainly increased cortical activity is involved in our problems, including hyperfocus and anxiety that many suffer.

Just remain calm and 'aim' for the center of what you see - this is how I manage :lol:

I try to ignore my starbursts but they really invade my vision, if i am looking straight passed them i see the rays of light coming into my eye. Massive starbursts can not be ignored i find they leave burns/ afterimages at different depths through my vision which are Dark green and dark red which flash when i blink, really very hard to ignore and this is during the day :( I can't even see past the aura of one, ive tried so hard.

I'm way to scared to even attempt to get behind the wheel of a car, really sucks. I wear sunglasses to combat the floaters and the blood cells i see floating around in the light but they do not help against starbursts at all, they only dim them they remain extremely visible. I'm thinking of trying keppra in the hopes that it might combat them in some way. I don't know what else to do about them

• 4 weeks later...

I hate this symptom.....I get it mostly at night and it just comes from absolutely every light. I can still drive because I've just kinda learned to deal with it, but it's still obnoxious as hell to see a normal traffic light extending itself in all directions in your field of vision.....

I haven't actually told my family about the hppd but I did try to explain this symptom to my sister the other day. she has really bad vision issues.( No surgery, but lots of other stuff) and she kinda knew what I was talking about but didn't really understand why I thought it was so intense. so maybe we do share similarities to people with eye problems but I feel like it could be more significant and vibrant with hppd maybe.

• Upvote 1

It seems there is a large variance in the the intensity of starbursting for different folks. Some can barely drive at night while others its just there and not a big deal. For me its not a big deal. It's a minor annoyance. The halos that accompany the starbursting sometimes are actually beautiful.

I have it day and night, night time is nothing compared to the day, i agree sometimes the halos can look pretty cool as you move all the beams coming off the light source shoot all over the place but i'd prefer it gone, it would seem i will just have to accept it and try work around the symptom. The size of the starbursts during the day can be massive depending how large the surface is, that is being hit by sunlight and the aura from those blocks almost half my vision, so basically im temporarily blinded until the light source is removed. So you can imagine what would happen if one suddenly appeared whilst driving which is usually the case, the worst periods being sunrise and sunset when the sun is lowest, cloudy days are the only days i can feel "normal"