Advice on Vyvanse

ExtremeVoid101

Hey guys, I was recently prescribed vyvanse for adhd/weight loss support and am kind of on the fence about it. My symptoms are mostly gone but i don’t know if taking this stimulant would have an effect on them. I feel like taking prescribed medication isn’t the same as recreational use and that I don’t want to be afraid of these things anymore. I’ve read some stories here of people developing worse hppd after certain substances. What were they? Did it happen shortly after the initial onset of symptoms or after a long time of abstinence? Has anyone here taken vyvanse after the onset of symptoms?

Other than purity, there is very little difference between a legal amphetamine and an illegal one, to my knowledge. It is still going to trigger your dopamine receptors and potentially put undue stress you. 

I guess the question is is the potential risk of worsening your hppd worth the benefits of the med on your ADHD/Weight loss? If the ADHD is really troublesome, then you will need to find a balance.. If it's not much of an issue, I am not sure the risk of taking amphetamines is worth it.

You are correct, jay, but dosage is also important when understanding these things. I went ahead and took it as prescribed yesterday, noting no effect on visual symptoms during the day and I’d say 1-5% increase this morning, similar to what I would have after a night drinking. In my opinion you can take this drug if necessary, but you should moderate it. Won’t be taking it every day that’s for sure. 

I’d agree with Jay1 on this one doesn’t matter if it’s Vyvanse Adderall  Focalin or Ritalin all adhd stimulant medications are essentially the same and chemoligically they are all amphetamines I know that Adderall specifically is classified as a methamphatamine. In fact Adderall and Crystal Meth are the same molecule except Adderall has 2 methyl groups and Crystal meth has 3 methyl groups, making it stronger. Studies were done where participants took high levels of Adderall and couldn’t tell the difference between that and meth. My point is that this shit will make your hppd worse and may even put you at risk for an HPPD relapse. It happens. It’s happened to older folks on this website as well as me personally I’ve had setbacks from using drugs. In addition, I think it’s important to say that I was prescribed adhd meds when I was younger and I think it contributed to me developing hppd after using subsequent hallucinogens. So basically I was having minor visual disturbances and tunnel vision after being prescribed adhd meds as a kid, and my theory is that when I did hallucinogens it enhanced these visual disturbances and contributed to me developing hppd. Just a theory but I strongly suggest against taking adhd meds they are literal crack my guy. 

On 9/16/2020 at 1:47 AM, Jay1 said:

Other than purity, there is very little difference between a legal amphetamine and an illegal one, to my knowledge. It is still going to trigger your dopamine receptors and potentially put undue stress you. 

I guess the question is is the potential risk of worsening your hppd worth the benefits of the med on your ADHD/Weight loss? If the ADHD is really troublesome, then you will need to find a balance.. If it's not much of an issue, I am not sure the risk of taking amphetamines is worth it.

Jay nailed it.

Edited by Fawkinchit