Beware of artificial food colorings

I've had HPPD for over 4 years now and I wish I would have known this sooner. I found out that artificial food colorings (the most common are Red 40, Yellow 5 and Yellow 6) were aggravating both my visual and mental symptoms. The most noticeable being vivid color enhancements. Mental symptoms included feeling out of body,  dizzyness, intense feelings of anxiety, intensified my overall sense of dread and I think it was causing borderline panic attacks.  

The thing that sucks is that I didn’t even know it was flaring up my symptoms because artificial coloring are in a lot of different types of food; not just candy and stuff. They put it in BBQ sauce, honey mustard, lemon pepper spice, chicken soup mix, lemonade mix, wraps, sushi wasabi and ginger, Cheetos, and that spicy red popcorn stuff. It’s smart to start checking ingredients. 
In fact, artificial food coloring is so bad and has so many negative side effects that it’s BANNED in Europe. Food dyes like red 40 yellow 5 and yellow 6 are proven human carcinogens (which means they are proven to cause cancer). Red 40 has been proven to cause hyperactivity and fits of anger in both children and adults. A british study was done on children that didn't have any prior conditions but started exhibiting ADHD-like behavior when given artificial food coloring. Natural food colorings, which are not harmful are never be labeled with a number. Usually natural companies will use fruit juice concentrates or things like paprika and turmeric to color their foods. 

List of FDA approved artificial food colorings:

Red #40, Red #3, Green #3, Yellow #5, Yellow #6, Blue #1, Blue #2. They might also be labeled FD&C Red 40 or FD&C Yellow 5.

Edited by David28
Adding information
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, David28 said:

I've had HPPD for over 4 years now and I wish I would have known this sooner. I found out that artificial food colorings (the most common are Red 40, Yellow 5 and Yellow 6) were aggravating both my visual and mental symptoms. The most noticeable being vivid color enhancements. Mental symptoms included feeling out of body,  dizzyness, intense feelings of anxiety, intensified my overall sense of dread and I think it was causing borderline panic attacks.  

The thing that sucks is that I didn’t even know it was flaring up my symptoms because artificial coloring are in a lot of different types of food; not just candy and stuff. They put it in BBQ sauce, honey mustard, lemon pepper spice, chicken soup mix, lemonade mix, wraps, sushi wasabi and ginger, Cheetos, and that spicy red popcorn stuff. It’s smart to start checking ingredients. 
In fact, artificial food coloring is so bad and has so many negative side effects that it’s BANNED in Europe. Food dyes like red 40 yellow 5 and yellow 6 are proven human carcinogens (which means they are proven to cause cancer). Red 40 has been proven to cause hyperactivity and fits of anger in both children and adults. A british study was done on children that didn't have any prior conditions but started exhibiting ADHD-like behavior when given artificial food coloring. Natural food colorings, which are not harmful are never be labeled with a number. Usually natural companies will use fruit juice concentrates or things like paprika and turmeric to color their foods. 

List of FDA approved artificial food colorings:

Red #40, Red #3, Green #3, Yellow #5, Yellow #6, Blue #1, Blue #2. They might also be labeled FD&C Red 40 or FD&C Yellow 5.

Placebo. It's your anxiety that is playing tricks on you. Don't let it win. Don't over study things over the internet...it will make you anxious about litteraly anything. For a fact, some even stop masturb.....to find relief (true)...no no no.

Edited by olivier24445

1 hour ago, olivier24445 said:

Placebo. It's your anxiety that is playing tricks on you. Don't let it win. Don't over study things over the internet...it will make you anxious about litteraly anything. For a fact, some even stop masturb.....to find relief (true)...no no no.

definitely not a placebo bro. Its an hppd aggrivant it made all my symptoms worse increased visual snow and everything.

1 hour ago, David28 said:

definitely not a placebo bro. Its an hppd aggrivant it made all my symptoms worse increased visual snow and everything.

You give it the power you want. I know it's hard. There is no doubt you do feel these symptoms. That's why it's so tricky

Edited by olivier24445

I hear where you're coming from @olivier24445 with this stuff it's one of those situations you could easily become paranoid trying to blame everything under the sun for causing symptoms/flare up.

But as I stated in one of my posts I started having issue right after I was eating.  I thought at first it was blood sugar or some shit, but this literally started with the onset of HPPD.  I next thought it was Caffeine after reading a bunch of people have sensitivity to that on here.  Cut that out, but still was seeing the same.  Now I'm not so sure I fall into that category.  All I can say is I seem to have an increase in symptoms after eating so for me @David28 may be on to something.

If anything it's worth noting.  At the least I may provide some more insight into possible triggers.  Everybody's different though.  Seen it on here with peoples personal experiences with various meds as well as with Caffeine for example.

Edited by r3dk00la1d

10 hours ago, olivier24445 said:

You give it the power you want. I know it's hard. There is no doubt you do feel these symptoms. That's why it's so tricky

I know that it's important to stay level in these tricky times but I have absolutely 0 doubt in my mind that artificial food colorings were negatively affecting me and no doubt others. When my hppd onset occurred I was literally experiencing almost every single visual and mental symptom of hppd. I was extremely hypersensitive so I started highly regulating everything I ate so I could pinpoint triggers. I eat from home 100% of the time and check the ingredients of every item I buy. That's how I found out artificial food colorings were causing a high percentage of my hppd flare ups. Since I cut out artificial food colorings my symptoms have reduced significantly.