Keppra (Levetiracetam) induced hair loss

Hey guys,

I've been on Keppra for a little more than 3 months now, 1250mg a day at the moment with a 1500mg goal but I started to notice that my hair are falling out when I pass my hand through or when I take a shower...

I feel like the Keppra is slowly improving my symptoms however, especially brain fog.

I'm 23 so it may seem superficial but I'm a bit alarmed by this lol

Apparently zinc supplementation can help with the hair loss induced by Keppra and I'm lucky enough to have some on hand so I'll see if it has a positive effect or not.

I will update this post in case somebody has the same issue and I'm curious to know if any of you guys has had the same side-effect from Keppra.

Edited by Lucas

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wish I had seen this in june-- Yes i had the hair loss. It really helped my mind. I felt cured. Ruined my body though :( I do not think i was healthy enough physically at the time to handle keppra. 

I recommend you get on rogaine asap. Idk why it screws with hair so much but it took me quite a while to return and didn't fully. Rogaine has brought a lot back though. I don't even use it on my head-- Im just trying to grow a beard! seems to help with the head even if applied to the face though hehe.

Some people also report lessening of hair loss with b vitamin supplementation. Remember to watch your b6 as keppra is known to effect that 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Hey there. I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing hair loss as a side effect of Keppra. It can be frustrating and scary when we start to notice changes in our bodies that we don't understand. I'm glad you're considering zinc supplementation as a potential remedy. Zinc is a great nutrient for overall health, so even if it doesn't help with hair loss, it's still a good idea to take it. I haven't personally experienced hair loss as a side effect of Keppra, but I have heard of others who have. I'm curious to hear if anyone else here has had a similar experience. In the worst scenario, you can always consider hair restoration (novahairtransplantnyc.com). Thanks for sharing, and I hope you find a solution that works for you!

Edited by PiercedenNiston

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I can totally understand your concern about hair loss, especially at a young age. It's great that you are taking steps to address this issue and considering zinc supplementation. In addition to that, I recently read an article about how hair masks can be useful in promoting hair growth. They are typically made from natural ingredients like avocado, coconut oil, and honey, and can provide nourishment to your hair and scalp.

Edited by Shagall1981

• 6 months later...

I came across your post from a few years back and wondered how things are going for you now? Hair loss is a pretty serious concern, especially at such a young age. It's great to hear that Keppra has been working for you otherwise, though.

You mentioned trying out zinc supplementation to counter the hair loss, but have you also looked into the idea of Protein Overload? I was reading an article about it on lovedbycurls.com, and they explain that too much protein can actually lead to hair fall and breakage. The symptoms include stiff or straw-like hair, excessive shedding, and dryness, among others.

Edited by AniemDariel