Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder (HPPD) Support Forum

I'm new here.  Hey everyone!

My HPPD onset appears to be a little different than most.  I stopped using hallucinogens 15 years ago (LSD, Shrooms, Salvia, Bromo) - weed 13 years ago - alcohol 4 years.  I was put on 2 anti-psychotics simultaneously (Abilify/Risperidone) due to some mental challenges and it appears to have triggered this.  Tracers, Visual Snow, Images burning in, walls breathing, lines close together flickr, CEV's etc...

Anyways,  this started a little over month ago and I'm having a major disruption to my sleep.  I'm seeing bright flashing lights when I close my eyes, but am able to eventually get to sleep. When I wake up the next day after 8 hours of sleep though I'm feeling like I hardly slept at all.  Groggy and nodding out throughout the day.

Is this something you've experienced with this?  Did it get better with time for you?  I've tried Ambien/Melatonin to the same affect and for some reason Benzos now cause me to wake up hourly instead of putting me down as they once used to do when I tried them briefly a year ago.  Also, I'm already and have been taking Lamictal prior to the onset of this.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Anybody?  I've read of people having insomnia, but with my situation I'm able to go to sleep and not wake up during the night yet in the morning I'm feeling like I never slept at all.

Nodding out durning the day etc.  Ambien/Klonpin/Melatonin do not appear to be helping.

This all started after the onset of this, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.  Especially in the early stages.

Hey, I too can fall asleep despite symptoms and wake up feeling like I didn't slept, what I often tell my friends is my body feels like I've been in a fight last night.

Benzos seems to work for me and CBD too.

Did you notice that being very sleep deprived actually make your symptoms better ? 

Thanks for the reply!

I'm sorry to hear this affects you as well.  Benzos seem to help in going to sleep, but I still feel exhausted the next day.  Perhaps I should look into CBD.

Regarding the affect of sleep on my symptoms it's hard to tell.  I've been dealing with the sleep thing since this started.  My visual snow all of a sudden got worse after a month in, but I'm thinking it was related to either Ambien or Caffeine which I've since stopped both.

Liquid concentrate of Melatonine is the best honnestly. It's Natural and works without side effects.

Mix it with cbd and you'll sleep like a baby everynight for the rest of your life ;)

Then,  if there are some particular thoughts that prevent you from sleeping and it's reccuring , you should also consider talking about it to a psychologist.

Edited by olivier24445

Thanks for the feedback Oliver.  I really need to check out CBD. I'm loving Melatonin especially since it doesn't make this any worse for me. Curious about CBD's affect on anxiety if any as it'd be nice if i didn't have to take benzo's.  For for the time being they do help out a lot and I'm doing my best to be careful with them.

The main thing that is messing with my sleep is these damn CEVs and crazy vivid dreams.  I feel like my mind just keeps on doing it's thing even though my body is out cold.  I talked to my psych and he prescribed me this drug called Prazosin that is supposed to help people with PTSD who have crazy nightmares sleep through the night.

I think i'm going to try to hold out for a little bit longer though.  See if the melatonin and Klonopin can keep me in check before I go tempting fate again with another pharmaceutical.

Ever since my hppd started 4 years ago I wake up feeling like shit and hung over every day. My HPPD symptoms are always bad in the morning and then get less intense throughout the day. The first 2-3 hours of the morning are always the worst. It could be that you’re getting proper sleep but then feel like shit just cause your hppd acts up in the morning like mine maybe. I think it’s due to the fact that dreams are a brain induced hallucination and maybe those same chemicals aggravate your hppd symptoms. I’ve found that cbd tinctures help with the nausea and overall brain foggy ness of waking up with hppd. Some good natural energy boosters that might help you is mint tea, peppermint oil, spearmint oil, b-12 supplements, And Ceylon cinnamon. 

Melatonin is definitely a great suggestion, but make sure you stick to the smallest dose possible and take periodic breaks from taking it at all. If you take it every day without any breaks eventually your brain will be unable to produce melatonin properly on it's own which is obviously very bad which is why you need to take breaks.

Some other suggestions I would make are Valerian Root and Chamomile tea. Both will relax you and calm you into sleep, more-so with Valerian though, especially since it works on GABA receptors.

My nurse practitioner told me this so take this with a grain of salt, since he doesn't always know what he's talking about, but since I take Clonazepam twice a day he's told me to avoid taking it close to bed-time as apparently it can disrupt sleep. Don't know if that's accurate/true though. I also tend to trust Pharmacists far more than anyone else when it comes to medications, so if you have questions they always seem to be the best bet. Pharmacology is a Doctorate degree, and they tend to really know their shit.

• Thanks 1

Appreciate the feedback guys.

Really good point on the Melatonin.  Something I honestly didn't think about, but going forward I'm going to keep in check.  Also, my issues appear to be with getting restful sleep and not so much going to sleep anyways which was how I was using it.

I'll have to check out the Valerian root only thing i'd be curious as to whether it would increase possible dependence on benzos if used simultaneously with the Klonopin considering both affect GABA receptors.  Already on B12 so I got that covered.  I'm hoping has this evolves my mind will settle down on it's own some too.

@r3dk00la1d

This is a general list of things that genuinely help me deal with hppd on a daily basis. 

Omega 3 fatty acid supplements. They help reduce my visual Symptoms. The best way to get omega 3 fatty acids is through fish oil supplements, flax seed oil, chia seeds, and canola oil. I personally go with flax seed oil. Magnesium supplements can reduce visual symptoms. Some people have success with taking valerian root tinctures to reduce visual symptoms; but be careful because if you take too much valerian root it can cause some weird side effects. CBD supplements really help with my mood and help with some of the mental symptoms of hppd. The proper dose for CBD is between 20-100mg per serving. (20-30mg is the threshold level to get the medical benefits and the 50-100mg range is what people do to get the anti anxiety effects. Whenever I start to feel panicky I drink chamomile tea (2 bags) and it really calms me down. Meditation helps with mental symptoms. 

Here’s a list of things that aggravate my hppd. 

1. Artificial Food coloring IE: Red #40, Red #3, Green #3, Yellow #5, Yellow #6, Blue #1, Blue #2. They might also be labeled FD&C Red 40 or FD&C Yellow 5. 
Artificial food colorings really made my hppd worse for a long time. Like it caused heavy color enhancements, increased visual snow, dizziness, and it made all my mental symptoms a lot worse. The thing that sucks is that I didn’t even know it was flaring up my symptoms because artificial coloring are in a lot of different types of food; not just candy and stuff. They put it in bbq sauce, sushi wasabi and ginger, Cheetos, that spicy red popcorn stuff. It’s smart to start checking ingredients. 
Natural food colorings, which are not harmful will never be labeled with a number. Usually natural companies will use fruit juice concentrated instead or things like paprika and turmeric to color their foods. In fact, artificial food coloring is so bad and has so many negative side effects that it’s banned in Europe.

2. Caffeine=color enhancements. 

3. Alcohol=wavy/ melty vision.  

4. Lack of sleep=heavier visual snow 

5. Drugs (duh) 

• Thanks 1

Thank your the detailed breakdown @David28

It's funny you mention the food aspect.  Ever since this started I've noticed I get "high" or an off feeling after I eat with an intensifying of my symptoms.  I thought it was caffiene as I used to drink it when I ate, but there's definitely something else contributing to it.  I'll have to pay closer attention to what I'm eating to see if i can single out what's triggering it. 

I too am getting mad color enhancements too.  It's so messed up because I haven't used drugs in so long it's really caught me off guard.  I had no idea about this disorder and when it all came on I was like what the f*** is happening to me.  It's been so long since i've used drugs it blows my mind this is even possible.  I've looked into all this other shit though and consulted with Neuro-Ophthalmologist/Neurologist/Psychiatrist(s).  Done the whole MRI bit and this is the only thing that makes sense at this point and they all seem to agree.

I'll definitely take all of these suggestions in to consideration and start with some lower doses of some of this to see what impact it has as I cautiously move forward.

I really do appreciate all the input guys.

Edited by r3dk00la1d

@r3dk00la1d

Yeah i found out that the thing that causes color enhancements the most (for me at least) is caffeine and artificial food colorings. Although food coloring did a lot more damage than caffeine ever did in my opinion. Also it's important to know that caffeine is present in cocoa powder so things like chocolate actually have caffeine and might aggravate your symptoms. In addition, green tea and black tea have high amounts of caffeine in them, 1 cup of green tea is like drinking half a cup of coffee. Snapple has hella caffeine in it.