Sleep Question - HPPD Newbie

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I too can fall asleep despite symptoms and wake up feeling like I didn't slept, what I often tell my friends is my body feels like I've been in a fight last night.

Benzos seems to work for me and CBD too.

Did you notice that being very sleep deprived actually make your symptoms better ? 

Thanks for the reply!

I'm sorry to hear this affects you as well.  Benzos seem to help in going to sleep, but I still feel exhausted the next day.  Perhaps I should look into CBD

Edited by p3rs0n

Liquid concentrate of Melatonine is the best honnestly. It's Natural and works without side effects.

Mix it with cbd and you'll sleep like a baby everynight for the rest of your life ;)

Then,  if there are some particular thoughts that prevent you from sleeping and it's reccuring , you should also consider talking about it to a psychologist.

Edited by olivier24445

Ever since my hppd started 4 years ago I wake up feeling like shit and hung over every day. My HPPD symptoms are always bad in the morning and then get less intense throughout the day. The first 2-3 hours of the morning are always the worst. It could be that you’re getting proper sleep but then feel like shit just cause your hppd acts up in the morning like mine maybe. I think it’s due to the fact that dreams are a brain induced hallucination and maybe those same chemicals aggravate your hppd symptoms. I’ve found that cbd tinctures help with the nausea and overall brain foggy ness of waking up with hppd. Some good natural energy boosters that might help you is mint tea, peppermint oil, spearmint oil, b-12 supplements, And Ceylon cinnamon. 

Melatonin is definitely a great suggestion, but make sure you stick to the smallest dose possible and take periodic breaks from taking it at all. If you take it every day without any breaks eventually your brain will be unable to produce melatonin properly on it's own which is obviously very bad which is why you need to take breaks.

Some other suggestions I would make are Valerian Root and Chamomile tea. Both will relax you and calm you into sleep, more-so with Valerian though, especially since it works on GABA receptors.

My nurse practitioner told me this so take this with a grain of salt, since he doesn't always know what he's talking about, but since I take Clonazepam twice a day he's told me to avoid taking it close to bed-time as apparently it can disrupt sleep. Don't know if that's accurate/true though. I also tend to trust Pharmacists far more than anyone else when it comes to medications, so if you have questions they always seem to be the best bet. Pharmacology is a Doctorate degree, and they tend to really know their shit.

• Thanks 1

@r3dk00la1d

This is a general list of things that genuinely help me deal with hppd on a daily basis. 

Omega 3 fatty acid supplements. They help reduce my visual Symptoms. The best way to get omega 3 fatty acids is through fish oil supplements, flax seed oil, chia seeds, and canola oil. I personally go with flax seed oil. Magnesium supplements can reduce visual symptoms. Some people have success with taking valerian root tinctures to reduce visual symptoms; but be careful because if you take too much valerian root it can cause some weird side effects. CBD supplements really help with my mood and help with some of the mental symptoms of hppd. The proper dose for CBD is between 20-100mg per serving. (20-30mg is the threshold level to get the medical benefits and the 50-100mg range is what people do to get the anti anxiety effects. Whenever I start to feel panicky I drink chamomile tea (2 bags) and it really calms me down. Meditation helps with mental symptoms. 

Here’s a list of things that aggravate my hppd. 

1. Artificial Food coloring IE: Red #40, Red #3, Green #3, Yellow #5, Yellow #6, Blue #1, Blue #2. They might also be labeled FD&C Red 40 or FD&C Yellow 5. 
Artificial food colorings really made my hppd worse for a long time. Like it caused heavy color enhancements, increased visual snow, dizziness, and it made all my mental symptoms a lot worse. The thing that sucks is that I didn’t even know it was flaring up my symptoms because artificial coloring are in a lot of different types of food; not just candy and stuff. They put it in bbq sauce, sushi wasabi and ginger, Cheetos, that spicy red popcorn stuff. It’s smart to start checking ingredients. 
Natural food colorings, which are not harmful will never be labeled with a number. Usually natural companies will use fruit juice concentrated instead or things like paprika and turmeric to color their foods. In fact, artificial food coloring is so bad and has so many negative side effects that it’s banned in Europe.

2. Caffeine=color enhancements. 

3. Alcohol=wavy/ melty vision.  

4. Lack of sleep=heavier visual snow 

5. Drugs (duh) 

• Thanks 1

Thank your the detailed breakdown @David28

It's funny you mention the food aspect.  Ever since this started I've noticed I get "high" or an off feeling after I eat with an intensifying of my symptoms.  I thought it was caffiene as I used to drink it when I ate, but there's definitely something else contributing to it.  I'll have to pay closer attention to what I'm eating to see if i can single out what's triggering it. 

I really do appreciate all the input guys.

Edited by p3rs0n

@r3dk00la1d

Yeah i found out that the thing that causes color enhancements the most (for me at least) is caffeine and artificial food colorings. Although food coloring did a lot more damage than caffeine ever did in my opinion. Also it's important to know that caffeine is present in cocoa powder so things like chocolate actually have caffeine and might aggravate your symptoms. In addition, green tea and black tea have high amounts of caffeine in them, 1 cup of green tea is like drinking half a cup of coffee. Snapple has hella caffeine in it.