Where to start?

Kyle77

I don't know where to start. I have had "brain fog" since 2011. I'm 24 years old now and I need to figure my life out, but I am too afraid to take the step because of this simple yet obscure "brain fog". It is a disability, but no one is able to accept or even acknowledge that it is a very real problem. "I look normal" on the outside but I definitely don't feel so normal on the inside. To put it plainly, I feel numb and dumb and I have one or some visual symptoms as well. I have heard of sage helping with cognitive function, but what is the proper dose? What are some side effects associated with sage? What are some peoples experiences using it? I've read lots of stuff on brain fog and just about anything can cause it, but I believe, like everyone else here, feel it is a chemical imbalance due to previous drug and alcohol usage. I would appreciate it if someone could point me to the right place. I am interested in herbal remedies and vitamins that may help. Thank you.

This is a good place to start:

https://www.selfdecode.com/

mthfr gene mutations (inefficient processing of folate into active form) are INCREDIBLY common (Up to 50% in some populations) and can cause a wide swath of cognitive, emotional, and physical issues. I have been a big advocate for genetic testing to, at the very least, rule out this mutation. Folate is used in 800 different bodily processes and without adequate amounts, you will think and feel like shit.

if you do have it, there are fairly easy solutions. If you do not, I would be surprised if there wasn’t something having your genes tested couldn’t do to improve your state. 

I used 23&me for my testing as selfdecode didn’t offer any back when I had mine done (2013). I have, however, used their site and found it to be extraordinary. This is cutting edge for self care.

best,

oms

• 1 month later...

Thankyou for the reply, im feeling really beaten and depressed because of this. I've forgot to mention that I was also diagnosed with sleep apnea awhile ago and got a CPAP machine but I don't think it helps all that much. It gives me gas. Do you know any other HPPD/Visual Snow/Brain Fog sufferers that have been diagnosed with sleep apnea as well? Mine isn't severe persay when they found it but it was enough to cause a drop in blood oxygen when I'm sleeping.

• 1 year later...

i found brain fog and general fatigue the symptoms most manageable with supplements.  Start with n acetyl cysteine.  Buy the powder, take a gram and work up to 5g to see if it does anything.  If it does then you can go down to a lower maintenance dose.  Also methylated b vits.  I take these Optimum Vitamin B Complex - Phoenix Nutrition sometimes bumped up with additional methyl folate, like if i drink a lot of alcohol Methyl Folate Tablets - Phoenix Nutrition. Use methyl b in case you have mthfr issues which is quite likely.  You will likely get further benefit from 5000iu vit d3 supplement and other amino acids (personally i take about a gram of nac with about 4g arginine and about 10g or less essential amino acids in the morning, too much eaa makes me drowsy probably due to tryptophan).  Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/20/2021 at 2:16 PM, brendan said:

i found brain fog and general fatigue the symptoms most manageable with supplements.  Start with n acetyl cysteine.  Buy the powder, take a gram and work up to 5g to see if it does anything.  If it does then you can go down to a lower maintenance dose.  Also methylated b vits.  I take these Optimum Vitamin B Complex - Phoenix Nutrition sometimes bumped up with additional methyl folate, like if i drink a lot of alcohol Methyl Folate Tablets - Phoenix Nutrition. Use methyl b in case you have mthfr issues which is quite likely.  You will likely get further benefit from 5000iu vit d3 supplement and other amino acids (personally i take about a gram of nac with about 4g arginine and about 10g or less essential amino acids in the morning, too much eaa makes me drowsy probably due to tryptophan).  Hope this helps.

thanks brendan, i give it a try. The Brainfog is what bothers me the most with my hppd, hopefully it helps