Best medication for visual symptoms?

I've read a lot of the posts on this forum, and from what I gather, Keppra or Sinemet is probably the way to go in terms of risk/gain. The trouble is, people often say that these meds have helped them without giving specifics: specifics are really important because not everyone has the same symptoms. My symptoms are mainly visual.

My visual problems include visual snow, after images, halos, vertical ghost (double) imaging of objects (most prominent when looking at light sources), starbursts and rays of light, normal floaters, cell like floaters when looking into the sky, blotches of colour in vision and some other minor disturbances. The most troublesome of these are the visual snow and the double-vision like ghosting (I don't experience trails).

If you have tried any meds which have helped with your visual problems, specifically Keppra or Sinemet, please let me know by detailing which specific problems they helped.

keppra put me into a dark depression, not worth any visual effects for me. The most effective thing probably is the klonopin I've taken, but of course you have to be careful of side effects, including depression. Personally I'd rather have hppd an not be depressed, rather than no hppd and depressed....so you gotta watch for that.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just started Suboxone (Buprenorphine/Naloxone) for opiate addiction maintenance and this is probably the best med i've ever come across for treating my DP/DR and visuals. It's a very strong narcotic though so make sure you know what you're doing if you ever try opiates.

What sort of dosage do you take for hppd relief?

• 2 weeks later...

What sort of dosage do you take for hppd relief?

I'm on 8mg a day but this dose comes with a rather strong tolerance for opiates. If you were to try Suboxone and you don't take opiates often I would start out with nothing higher than 2mg.

But I get a lot of relief with it. It's good for muscle tensions, facial pressure, the headaches, and it constricts pupil size and this cuts down on a variety of the visual symptoms. Plus my DP/DR is lessended with it too. I think that is contributed to the opiate's effect on the Dopamine system.

I've tried suboxone once. To me it fealt like taking some strong opiates so of course I felt better.

Suboxone is extremely hard to quit, unless you were on a very high oxy ect... dose, I would just taper off the regular opiates instead of the synthetic. GL!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on 8mg a day but this dose comes with a rather strong tolerance for opiates. If you were to try Suboxone and you don't take opiates often I would start out with nothing higher than 2mg.

I got my doc to perscribe me 2mg a day.... Phew, strong stuff... 2mg has put me on my ass! Nice though, very calming and some changes in visuals... Hopefully, I wont be so sluggish, once my body is used to it.

The doc has me on this schedule:

Day 1 to 10 klono - 2mg

Day 11 to 15 - Suboxone - 2mg

Day 15 to 20 - Clean, no meds

Repeat.

If I can be strong willed and don't get too many side effects... this could be quite a nice little routine that should ensure I don't get addicted or tolerent to either med. I love my nuero, so good to have a smart, inteligent doctor that is willing to listen and trust me to find a way of making my life managable.

If I can live 75% of my life without anxiety and with some visual relief... I will be over the moon. Just need to stay strong and sensible.

Hopefully days 15-20 won't be to hard on you. Before I was on such a high dose of klono, I often thought of doing this with some sorta strong opiate, but finding a doctor to help you like this is beyond hard. Hope everything works out man!

Cheers mate, the nausea is killing me right now... I've not much experience with opiods... just codeine twice. Hopefully the nausea will go once my body is used to it.

If not, are there any "cleaner" opiods? I don't really care about which one gives a good high, just a clean experience that brings down my anxiety would be good.

percocet (oxycodone) or vicodin( hydrocodone) get them prescribed with minimal acetaminophen.

I personally like vicodin better, percocet is a little stronger and more sedating. Everybody is different of course but I've heard that from a few ppl. They use suboxone to come off these meds after severe addiction.

Shaolin, could explain this much better... but I've taken all opoids and those two are the best w/o getting to high. If you don't like them my address is j/k take care!

I'm not sure that you get these strong opiods here in Europe.... I'm sure i've read that they are very hard to come by, which makes me think that they are not available for perscription.

I wonder if there is a list of meds and their availability?

I think my doctor would percribe me with such a med, as he seems to trust me

I'm not sure then. You want something stronger then codeine but weaker then morphine. I'd just talk with your doctor, You might even have to go to pain clinics out their for stronger opiates idk.... Just stay away from methadone! I've honestly heard suboxone is hard as hell to get off as well.

One thing I have found out is Neurontin has eased my opiate wd's by atleast 75%, it even takes the edge off klonopin wd's a bit surprisingly.

Maybe one day I'll do 2mg of klono 10 days, vicodin 5 days, then Nuerontin 5 days and live happily ever after :)

Time for work take care man!!

I've honestly heard suboxone is hard as hell to get off as well.

Do you think that 10 days on... 20 days off would be enough to keep away from addiction/tolerance though? (pyshical addiction, that is)

I can't see that I would get mentally addicted to this stuff... I'm not sure if it is just me, but I get no kick out of suboxone or codeine, which is a good thing.

As far a opioids go, have tried tramadol, vicoprofin (hydrocodone with ibuprofin instead of acetaminophen), and oxycodone. None help visuals, usually worsens. Overall feel better but have always been concerned about addiction/tolerance that can happen with taking pain meds we not needed.

Physically yes, mentally no. Believe me those provide alot of relief from hppd (codeine is very weak) you won't care about the visuals. In the back of your mind it's hard to forget about it. (I'm talking about stronger opiates, suboxone is extremely potent but meant for wd's)

Visual is def right, they are so dam addicting, and your body becomes tolerant to them so fast. Maybe give it a try, if you feel you might become addicted just drop them.

HPPD and the visuals must widely differ from person to person because I can't see how someone wouldn't get mental and phsyical relief from taking opiates. The more euphoric ones like Hydrocodone and Oxycodone totally eliminate DP/DR and extremely reduce my visuals.

Jay- That regiment your dr. has you on looks suitable for your goal of avoiding any kind of dependance. Let me know how the Sub goes for reducing your DP/DR and visuals. It's helped me a lot although im prone to using opiates for those specific reasons so maybe it's a preferance type of thing. However it's definitely not a placebo effect as you can attest to.

P.S. Also Jay, ask your doctor about Promethazine for the nausea if it continues or gets worse.

Thanks... the nausea is clearing now I moved down to 1mg.... I was perhaps a bit stupid to take 2mg to start with (have almost zero opiate usage),,,, when the nausea wasn't there, I felt relaxed and saw some improvement in visuals, So it is something to keep going at, for a whlie.

If it doesn't work out, I will chat to him about moving to a proper opiate and will just have to really show alot of will power... Maybe even have my wife hold onto them

Thanks again fellas