Sinemet Questions

Im thinking of going on sinemet as I don't know if I can cope any more without meds after 14 yrs of dealing with this. Is there any literature regarding long term low dose use of this drug? I'm nervous about possible complications.

Im thinking of going on sinemet as I don't know if I can cope any more without meds after 14 yrs of dealing with this. Is there any literature regarding long term low dose use of this drug? I'm nervous about possible complications.

You probably already read the comment from Jay's neurologist http://hppdonline.co...-sinemet-trail/ but no technical literature was indicated.

Since it isn't addictive, perhaps that is some comfort to you.

The problem is that 99% of the time, Parkinson's Disease is progressive. And this is the main use for Sinemet. I've read of people taking the same dose for 25 years without the disease progressing or with any need to increase the dose though this is rare - If I can remember the case, I'll send it to you. Such cases are rare, however the underlying facter is early treatment - detecting the disease early.

Most people need increasing doses which, as they become large, cause side effects. It is important to remember that with PD, massive damage to dopamine systems has happened. Before any motor symptoms show, the patient has already lost about 75% of all their dopaminergic neuron function.

That is like taking a bridge, removing 3/4 of its structural supports, and then expecting it to not sway. And this is EARLY PD. So it is difficult to support the remaining neurons when they have to carry such a high metabolic load (400% as much as they were designed to) - hence progressive degeneration

Because of these above reasons, there is probably limited liturature about remaining on low dose Sinemet. But, we will keep our eyes open to try to help ;)

But do remember, the level of and/or the nature of how our dopaminergic systems have been altered is different that PD. While there are reports of some degeneration, many here report having HPPD for decades - some the same, some a little worse, and some better. [ Such is impossible with PD ]

If I remember correctly, you once spoke with Dr A. Perhaps he could provide you with more info.