Treating HPPD with kratom or valerian

I took kratom once.  I got it from a friend who deals with cronic pain.  What he gave me came from a good source and I didn't take a lot.

I didn't like it at all.  It made me feel weird, gave me stomach problems, and made me feel shaky.  I was warned that it has a dependency profile and not to take it daily.  I did it once, not for me.

Valarian just makes me sleepy.  I'm sleepy enough so I never took to this herb either.

I've tried a bunch of herbal treatments for this disorder but none have helped much.  I do take cbd oil when I have insomnia.  Sobriety and meditation practice worked best for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 10:45 AM, MadDoc said:

I took kratom once.  I got it from a friend who deals with cronic pain.  What he gave me came from a good source and I didn't take a lot.

I didn't like it at all.  It made me feel weird, gave me stomach problems, and made me feel shaky.  I was warned that it has a dependency profile and not to take it daily.  I did it once, not for me.

Valarian just makes me sleepy.  I'm sleepy enough so I never took to this herb either.

I've tried a bunch of herbal treatments for this disorder but none have helped much.  I do take cbd oil when I have insomnia.  Sobriety and meditation practice worked best for me.

I've already tried kratom a few times before I had HPPD, I'm more concerned about how it'll affect my symptoms now that I have HPPD. It was helpful for my chronic pain, but I'm concerned it might aggravate my hppd or make it worse!

Ive never tried valerian, thanks for your insight!

I've been sober for over 6 months of all drugs (i used to be a user of more than a few of them) except for the occasional drink and my nicotine addiction LOL. Meditation doesn't seem to help me at all, only makes it worse )):

Thank you so much!

Meditation takes time and practice.  It taught me that "I" am the controller of my own mind.  A weird concept.  Can I control my conciseness 100%.  No way.  Can I control a part of it, yup.  What I can control is the firing of the adrenal pumps when hppd tells me to PANIC.  Like a circuit breaker, I can left it go.  

Akin to learning a musical instrument, it takes practice.  For me, the benefits were huge.  Perhaps life saving.  

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Edited by MadDoc
More thoughts

• 8 months later...
On 1/26/2019 at 6:54 PM, therocknamedwonder said:

Has anyone had any positive effects OR negative effects with kratom or valerian? Specifically red vein kratom.

Does taking either of these plants affect your HPPD? In what way? Thank you! 🙂

I’m curious— did you try it? The kratom I mean. 

valerian acts upon gaba a receptors I believe in a similar way to benzos. Usually, they are safe to take. For me, however, it exacerbates my symptoms related to gaba PAWS. A few years ago, if I took it, I felt MUCH better followed by weeks of feeling like death. Now if I take it, I have a comparatively mild increase in anxiety after usage. My brain has come a long way though so ymmv.

I take valerian from time to time. It's a mild sedation, sometimes barely noticeable, but often also effective and helpful. Can reduce anxiety and strange feelings a little bit, also slightly helps with sleep. Especially in the beginning I had to be quite careful with dosing. The doses I needed seemed to fluctuate and overdosing felt uncomfortable. It doesn't affect visuals for me. Valerian is so mild it's no problem to give it a try. Whether it helps or worsens, effects are so mild that there is no risk trying it. I think most commonly it does not have any significant impact at all. I think I'm lucky that it often does a quite good job for me.

Nowadays I most often take 450mg.

Edited by AlphaBeta

• 3 years later...

I haven't personally had any experience with using kratom or valerian to treat HPPD, but I have heard from others that they have had some positive effects. It's always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional before trying any new treatment and to make sure you're getting your kratom from a reputable source. If you're looking for a good vendor, you might check out some of the best kratom vendors online. Just be sure to do your research and only buy from a trusted source. If you get any positive results, then, do not hesitate to share them here.

Edited by feronicadaw