Dexamphetamine

Hey there everyone.

I am due to see a phsychologist soon. I have seen my doctor about my ADD and was prescribed Dexamphetamine as a kid. He is referring me to community mental health. I was going to not worry about dexamphetamine and talk to them about Sinemet as HPPD is far more bothersome than ADD but I'd given up any hope of ever treating HPPD.

I have read on here that amphetamine make HPPD much worse, but then Ive read a thread where someone says they help because they increase dopamine, the same as sinemet.

Has anyone got any experience?

Will amphetamines make HPPD worse?

If it was a choice between Sinemet and Dexamphetamine which would you reccomend?

Dextroamphetamine is about 75% Adderall and the rest some other stuff. Haven't tried it. It is clearly harsher than Sinemet since there are reports that long term use of Adderall and/or Ritalin may double the risk of developing Parkinson's Disease - of course the jury is still out about this.

Have taken Selegiline, http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Selegiline, which is and MAO-B inhibitor which (oddly) combines mild amphetamine and mild methamphetamine. It is used in early PD. Also for depression. It reduces or delays the onset of PD. I found it mild but helped in all ways that other dopamine meds do.

Don't know much about what the community says about Adderall and HPPD (amphetamines usually refer to street drugs), but a few on DP forums claim Adderall helps depersonalization and derealization.

Street drugs such as meth and cocaine can permanently destroy your ability to feel pleasure. Asked a doctor recently about this since there was a fellow who had used cocaine a lot and now feels no pleasure at all - and craves the drug constantly. The doctor told me this is rare since these drug users usually end up killing themselves with overdose trying to feel good again. Ironically, I have a brother who has used cocaine several times and said it never did anything for him. He is still alive and kicking and occationally uses weed.

So it is hard to know. But for certain, street drugs are much stronger than what doctors prescribe.

So you took Dexamphetamine before HPPD and don't know how it will affect you. Generally, all amphetamine and methaphetamine drugs can over stress dopaminergic neurons. Yet very small doses can be useful.

Across the board, dopamine helps these conditions mentioned. I'd put my money on Sinemet. But haven't tried what you have. Sinemet is certainly milder in nature - which one would think a plus since you are try to help the brain, not overpower it. Of course the questions remains, will it help your HPPD? And will your doc work with you on this?

Please let us know how he responds to the idea of low-dose Sinemet. And if you benefit.

Hope this helps. Whatever choice you make, wish your success...

Was it my thread i started about amphetamine helping me? While on it it did help me but the next day/week was always much worse. I don't have A.D.D my self but recently i did try some dextamphetamines to see if they helped my hppd. At the time i was really hungover and i had 2 to start with. Within about an hour my hang over was gone i was feeling alert but not high, my visuals did reduce slightly as well. I then had one more about 2 hours after the other 2. Once again i felt alert reduced visual but not high. The reason i say i didn't feel high is i was at a holiday house at the time and a lot of the group i was with had been taking dextys as a 'party' drug. They had been having 2 and been saying they were high, talking shit and couldn't sleep. They were all shocked i had 3 and felt fine.

Maybe it was because i was hung over and tired at the time I'm not sure. But thats just my experience with dextys may not help. Its not a cure for hppd even though it helped for me, it just seems to harsh to do day in day out.

Best of luck with your hppd

Back in my dim and distant past I have experience with (street) amphetamine sulpate. Visual disturbances decreased when the speed was active, and increased drastically during comedowns. Of course that was street stuff and not pharaceutical dexedrine which one would hope would be a little cleaner, but I think the effect was due to the amphetamine itself rather than any impurites.

I think I'll probably give Dexamphetamine a miss. Everything I have read says amphetamines make HPPD worse, and I dont want to risk it. I will talk to the doctor about sinemet and keppra. Now its just a case of getting to the end of the waiting list!

I imagine that Sinemet and Keppra will cost a fortune as in NZ its not subsidised for HPPD so even if I do convince the Dr I'll be spending hundreds a month on it. Oh well hopefully it helps, Ive read some really good things on here.

Back in my dim and distant past I have experience with (street) amphetamine sulpate. Visual disturbances decreased when the speed was active, and increased drastically during comedowns. Of course that was street stuff and not pharaceutical dexedrine which one would hope would be a little cleaner, but I think the effect was due to the amphetamine itself rather than any impurites.

Facinating - thanks for this info

I imagine that Sinemet and Keppra will cost a fortune as in NZ its not subsidised for HPPD so even if I do convince the Dr I'll be spending hundreds a month on it. Oh well hopefully it helps, Ive read some really good things on here.

They are both generics (Sinemet has been around about 45 years).

• 5 weeks later...

This is my experience, too - the symptoms are reduced while it's active but increased after the comedown. My symptoms are relatively mild, so they weren't increased very much, but still. I think it might partly be also that I just don't get distracted by the visuals while I'm on Adderall (that's what I was taking).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have found speed to be an everchanging hit or miss bit of help with hppd....it can make me so clearheaded im bored and feel odd, yet the strange foreign feeling is "normal" mental supposedly. I have also had amphetamines give me a a psychotic break which lasted a few hours but i was conscious and remember it all. I have been on amphetamines and methamphetamines since 2003 and have had hppd since 2005.