NeuroSteroids

I am male and have taken testosterone in the past, which mad me feel better, but I am unable to get that from a doctor now. Feel free to pm me if you know a source! ;) 

I know many people use in conjunction with testosterone when they have low t. I figured it would not be as effective as both but still might show me something. 

i have a pituitary micro are adenoma which the doctor said is “probably benign” since my hormones are “within range” but the thing about ranges... they are only helpful if you have a baseline in good health. I need to pull up my numbers but because I don’t remember them specifically, but 4 things give me pause:

1. many males my age have higher levels than me even if I am within normal range.

2. I’ve had MANY head injuries, which has been known to effect hormone production. 

3. I had a bad experience with oxiracetam and coluracetam which damaged my hypothalamus. I suspect this has screwed up my hpa axis somewhat. When I first began my long road to recovery in the end of 2015, I was unable to experience hunger, thirst, or sexual lust. I still have basically no circadian rhythm anymore... it’s quite taxing. 

4. before starting testosterone the first time, I was 23 and completely unable to grow any facial hair. My body hair was also sparse, and I looked probably 6 years younger than I was. Within a few months I started to grow facial hair etc. 

I remember being on a lowing dose of testim to try and negate the halting you mention. Not sure how well that worked. I went off of it very rapidly and was suffering from a doctor induced overdose of thyroid medication... real bad juju. I do remember feeling like utter shit but there was so much going on medically it was hard to pinpoint what was what.

your story is quite remarkable— and not the first tile I’ve heard tell of testosterone improving symptoms. Im so happy you’ve found some relief :) we all deserve a bit of luck Id say. It’s a tough gig dealing with hppd. Thank you so much for sharing your experience; It’s so important that we do.

11 hours ago, Onemorestep said:

I am male and have taken testosterone in the past, which mad me feel better, but I am unable to get that from a doctor now. Feel free to pm me if you know a source! ;) 

I know many people use in conjunction with testosterone when they have low t. I figured it would not be as effective as both but still might show me something. 

i have a pituitary micro are adenoma which the doctor said is “probably benign” since my hormones are “within range” but the thing about ranges... they are only helpful if you have a baseline in good health. I need to pull up my numbers but because I don’t remember them specifically, but 4 things give me pause:

1. many males my age have higher levels than me even if I am within normal range.

2. I’ve had MANY head injuries, which has been known to effect hormone production. 

3. I had a bad experience with oxiracetam and coluracetam which damaged my hypothalamus. I suspect this has screwed up my hpa axis somewhat. When I first began my long road to recovery in the end of 2015, I was unable to experience hunger, thirst, or sexual lust. I still have basically no circadian rhythm anymore... it’s quite taxing. 

4. before starting testosterone the first time, I was 23 and completely unable to grow any facial hair. My body hair was also sparse, and I looked probably 6 years younger than I was. Within a few months I started to grow facial hair etc. 

I remember being on a lowing dose of testim to try and negate the halting you mention. Not sure how well that worked. I went off of it very rapidly and was suffering from a doctor induced overdose of thyroid medication... real bad juju. I do remember feeling like utter shit but there was so much going on medically it was hard to pinpoint what was what.

your story is quite remarkable— and not the first tile I’ve heard tell of testosterone improving symptoms. Im so happy you’ve found some relief :) we all deserve a bit of luck Id say. It’s a tough gig dealing with hppd. Thank you so much for sharing your experience; It’s so important that we do.

I was able to double natural T with 1/2 anastrazol EOD  (425 to 820) but it wasn't very stable, that is, if I got a cold, or took cortisol, or benedryl my T would crash.  It my case, its a hypothalamus thing since overall my dopamine systems are weak and the hypothalamus has circuits using dopamine (autonomic dysregulation, which is controlled by the hypothalamus, is common with Parkinson's disease).  Clomid 25mg also increased T significantly but I don't have blood tests regarding it.  It also was unreliable.

Typically people can get good rise in T with AIs or SERMs.  But you need to watch E2 getting too low which causes depression.  But it is simple enough to try.  They don't have really long half-lives.

Having a doctor give too much thyroid is horrible.  Usually anxiety/agitation is high.

What is your T level now?

21 hours ago, Onemorestep said:

Hah, I went to 6 doctors and I was "within range" Basically had the t levels of a 60 year old male and I am 27. Doctors are a joke when it comes to hormones anyway, my endo told me his protocol would've been 200 MG every 2 weeks!!??? Thats 1 giant injection with a 4.5 half life meant to last 14 days??? Lol, they have no clue how to use hormones. That does more harm than good as hormone fluxuations that broad are not good for you. I personally inject small doses everyday to mimic daily production and to keep hormone levels steady.

Anyway I went out of pocket and I pay a US based Tele medicine clinic. Its expensive but I did self medicate prior with underground Testosterone. Anyway my relief is still ongoing, I'm very much just experimenting lol. E2 has a very powerful effect on neurotransmitters, I'm very intrigued and actually scared at the same time, its increased my anxiety a bit but really made me feel real again. I will pm you.

Edited by josht9210

Found this on another site;

First off, a basic explanation of DHT (Dihydrotestosterone); it is an androgen (male sex hormone), like Testosterone, which rather than promoting the growth of muscle mass directly (tissue-acting), it acts via intracellular (in the cell) mechanisms to increase strength and metabolism. DHT is not very anabolic, but it is Androgenic, and thus meaning, it promotes masculine characteristics (such as a deeper voice, and growth of facial hair, body hair etc) (1).  DHT has a bad rap, since it has been claimed to cause an enlarged prostate, but if you follow the source, most of the studies saying this are linked to pharmaceutical promotion of their anti-prostate, anti-Male drug, Finasteride (Propecia) and Dustasteride(2) (3).  DHT has also been claimed to cause your hair follicles to become thin, and your hair - subsequently falls out. No. Just No. DHT has been implicated as a factor at most, more studies show that more specifically it is Zinc deficiency AND genetics that provoke male pattern baldness (4)(5).  Although Zinc deficiency causes the rise of DHT levels, it also causes increases in prolactin, and estrogen, thus the real problem here could have to do with either of those hormones. Just to clarify, Anti-ESTROGEN drugs have been used recently to treat prostate enlargement (BPH), and they are very successful, with less side-effects(6) (7) ( (9). So if they were wrong about DHT causing prostate enlargement, maybe they were wrong about DHT and hair loss too.

DHT - HOW IT AFFECTS THE BRAIN - AND NERVOUS SYSTEM

But anyway, we got carried away. Let's go on to discuss DHT's effects in the Brain. DHT has pronounced effects on neurochemistry (it affects neurotransmitters in the brain). DHT has been shown to increase circulating epinephrine levels (adrenaline), this can cause anxiety in predisposed individuals, however, most of the time, this is not the case, since DHT also increases GABA activity in the brain, which is relaxing (10) (11) (12).   So in other words, DHT should promote A focused, calm burst of energy, which is what many users of DHT-based steroids, report as the "alpha-male" feeling (13) (14).  Dihydrotestosterone increase central and nervous system energy production by increasing not just adrenaline, but cyclic AMP (15). This molecule increase thermogenesis (fat-burning and heat production)(16).  Cyclic AMP facilitates the conversion of TSH thyroid hormone, to T4, a more potent thyroid hormone, thus, indirectly, DHT increases thyroid function (by increasing cyclic AMP) (17).

So seeing all this, DHT definitely acts as a nervous system stimulant, and a metabolic "probe", it also increases GABA.  Second to this though, it could indirectly decrease serotonin or serotonin receptors; since DHT antagonizes estrogen activity, and estrogen helps maintain the expression of serotonin receptors in the brain(18) (19). This is also consistent with DHT being shown to stop estrogen induced prolactin release(20).  This is part of the reason behind using DHT Gel to treat gynecomasita.  Clearly DHT has anti-depressant effects, since Finasteride causes depression (21) and also based on the above mentioned activity of DHT in the brain. It gives energy, it gives focus, it gives aggression.  

DHT also improves spatial working memory(22), according to some studies, by altering NMDA-receptors(23) (namely increasing), and by improving Calcium-induced acetylcholine release & function in the hippocampus(24)(25); a very important area of the brain involved in memory formation and spatial (directional) memory.

DHT also decreases glutamate levels and excitory outputs through other mechanisms (26) (27) (28).

Finally, Dihydrotestosterone, or it's metabolite 3-alpha-Diol; downregulate alpha-adrenergic receptor distribution, leading to more inhibitory adrenergic (adrenaline influence)(29) (30) (31). For those who don't know, adrenaline can activate an 'alpha receptor' - which stimulates the nervous system, vasoconstricting blood vessels and arteries, raising blood pressure, or it can activate a beta-adrenergic receptor, generally vasodilating artieries, but yet, increasing heart contractile force. This all might just be another result or a reflection of what is mentioned above, that DHT increases epinephrine, GABA, and cyclic AMP.  However, in a separate study, Testosterone (without specificity), had upregulated alpha-1-receptors to protect the heart against ischemia(32).  Is this an effect of Testosterone or it's metabolites though. Likely, it doesn't matter, it was probably case coincidental, but may indicate that if blood pressure falls too low, Testosterone can increase it to maintain homeostasis.

In yet another study however, DHT has been shown to increase alpha-1-adrenergic expression, whereas Estrogen decreased the expression/density(33). This again reflects the need for DHT and Estrogen to be kept in balance, as both promote vasodilation through different pathways, however, since Alpha-1-receptors are incredibly potent Vasoconstrictors, DHT + an OVERALL deficiency in nitric oxide may actually promote high blood pressure, especially in coordination with estrogen deficiency. Interestingly, Alpha-1-receptor activation may increase serotonin activity at the 5-HT1A receptor(34)(35), this is an auto-receptor that ironically seems to possess anxiolytic (serotonin-typical) effects. 5-HT1A activation has shown to help social anxiety disorder, but worsen anticipation anxieties(36)(37). In another study, DHT/Androgens also facilitated serotonin 5-HT1A/1B agonist-decreases in aggression, which is controversial, although it appears that estrogen allows for intermale aggression by downregulating serotonin 5-HT1A/1B activity(38)(39). Thus DHT's only pro-aggressive propertly lies in it's adrenaline promoting effect, and not with serotonin.    

So DHT via multiple pathways increases nervous system strength, DHT increases epinephrine levels, decreases prolactin (assuming you have enough dopamine production as well), increases GABA, may decrease serotonin and serotonin receptors. All-round this means DHT has positive effects on your chemistry and nerve cells. By reducing prolactin, and estrogen, and subsequently serotonin, and also regulating catecholamines, by this, DHT can definitely increase libido, and alleviate sexual anxiety in most individuals by increasing GABA. DHT is key to many of Testosterone's brain benefits. Keep in mind though, despite positive effects on brain chemistry, this still doesn't give an excuse to OD on aromatase inhibitors, likely, because you need a little bit of estrogen (not much at all), to promote nNOS (neuronal nitric oxide synthase) production. So DHT serves as a great compliment to a little bit of brain estradiol, and a great ratio of DHT to estrogen means optimal sex drive, stamina, charisma and general masculinity.

Let's summarize in Bullets Here.

DHT regulates alpha and beta adrenergic receptors. DHT may increase alpha-1-receptor density. DHT may decrease glutamate activity and increases mGLU7 expression (which increases GABA release) DHT increases serotonin 5-HT1A receptor density by influencing A1-Adr.Receptors. DHT promotes serotonin 5-HT1A/1B activity and may reduce aggression in the presence of serotonin. Although this may easily be over ridden by the pro-adrenergic effects of DHT. DHT increases beta-endorphin release by ^ 5-HT1A receptor indirect activation. DHT facilitates the release of Epinephrine (adrenaline). DHT increases cyclic AMP. DHT blocks estrogen-induced prolactin release. DHT reduces serotonin and serotonin receptors by inhibiting estrogen influence in the Brain. (but mainly acting to oppose 5-HT2A,2C and 5-HT4 receptors) DHT increases GABA and GABA-A (neurosteroid-specific) receptor expression.  DHT increases NMDA-receptors in the Hippocampus. DHT increases Ca3 (Calcium) evoked Acetylcholine Function(AcH release). DHT increases nervous system strength and regulates blood pressure.

On 12/9/2019 at 11:25 AM, hope1 said:

For what its worth (and in theme of the thread), the use of testosterone helps depression.  It is well know that low T causes a depressiveness.  This article is about using high dose testosterone for major depression.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30427999

• "Testosterone treatment appears to be effective and efficacious in reducing depressive symptoms in men, particularly when higher-dosage regimens were applied in carefully selected samples."

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I should share this here: reduction in autoimmune disease via testosterone. There is some thought that HPPD could be immune related in some way.

" In our study, we substituted testosterone levels in experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO) in rat by s.c. testosterone implants. EAO development was reduced to 17% when animals were treated with low-dose testosterone implants (3 cm long, EAO+T3) and to 33% when rats were supplied with high-dose testosterone implants (24 cm, EAO+T24) compared with 80% of animals developing disease in the EAO control group. In the testis, testosterone replacement in EAO animals prevented the accumulation of macrophages and significantly reduced the number of CD4+ T cells with a strong concomitant increase in the number of regulatory T cells (CD4+CD25+Foxp3+) compared with EAO control. In vitro testosterone treatment of naive T cells led to an expansion of the regulatory T cell subset with suppressive activity and ameliorated MCP-1–stimulated chemotaxis of T lymphocytes in a Transwell assay. Moreover, expression of proinflammatory mediators such as MCP-1, TNF-α, and IL-6 in the testis and secretion of Th1 cytokines such as IFN-γ and IL-2 by mononuclear cells isolated from testicular draining lymph nodes were decreased in the EAO+T3 and EAO+T24 groups. Thus, our study shows an immunomodulatory and protective effect of testosterone substitution in the pathogenesis of EAO and suggests androgens as a new factor in the differentiation of regulatory T cells."

https://www.jimmunol.org/content/186/9/5162