I think I have HPPD of some sort and need help

imZanderr

Hello there, I'll get right to it. The main thing I am worried about is my symptoms getting worse to the point where I can't function. Right now I have trails and some visual snow that's not too bad. I'm worried these symptoms will get worse over time even if I stay sober and healthy and I'll be screwed forever.

Any advice on what to do and how to deal with this would be much appreciated. I am in college and need to keep my grades good but my anxiety about this is deterring from that.

Hey there Zander,

How long has it been since your HPPD has set in? Typically things gradually improve over the course of a few months - until you get to your baseline, which is the point that your HPPD hits a point where it stays the same.

If you smoke weed at all, i'd recommend that you stop - any drug use will cause your symptoms to become significantly worse.

If you really need some relief from your symptoms for a short while, you can always see your family doctor and have some ativan prescribed to you, just don't get too heavy into them, they're only a temporary solution to help you adjust to your new set of symptoms.

Other then that, if you continue to live healthy habits, your HPPD should only improve over time.

Yeah it really took me about 2 months to stabilize, but you will adjust soon enough. For what it's worth I wasn't able to leave my room for like a week after mine started.

Did your trails appear well after your last trip? Or did your trip lead right into your HPPD? For me I was tripping, went to bed, and then woke up the next morning still tripping, and haven't really stopped since.

Yeah it's quite common for people to develop HPPD weeks and months later.

Certainly wait a couple of months and see how things go. If you can, abstain from using any form of benzodiazepine until your sure that you've hit your baseline, as using a benzodiazepine before then can confuse your senses into what your baseline actually is - causing you to think things are getting worse when they are not.

If perhaps, 6 to 8 months down the road, you feel like you'd like to try out some medications to help you, you can check out my thread regarding available medications below - although I would recommend sticking it out for as long as you can without medications and seeing if you can recover naturally. Good luck :)

Oh christ no, you'll learn to adapt. For me i've certainly had to make some changes to my life - but I have used this as an experience to redirect my life in a slightly different direction. 

For what it's worth, I take 1000mg of Keppra a day, which really helps me with my depersonalization and derealization. 

Give yourself time - it could take years, but youl get better. Just keep your nose clean, if you know what I mean.

Edited by jbalsa2