Amitriptyline/Elavil

Havent been here for a while, nothing has really changed in regards to my hppd, just thought id give an update to the med i started.

Started taking a med called amitriptyline. Its an old antidepressant that was used back in the 60's for  a treatment of numerous things.

Its actually been doing me pretty good, the thing about this med is that it doesn't focus completely on serotonin like SSRIs normally do. This medication actually hits a bunch of different receptors in the brain which is why its more than likely it can cause a lot of side effects, non hppd related. 

The med hits a bunch of receptors because its used to treat a lot of neurological disorders like migraines and nerve pain, its also used to treat bipolar, ptsd, anxiety and depression, and helps you get really good rem sleep, ive noticed i dont need as much sleep as i used to and when i wake up my mind feels refreshed. 

Ive been on it for about two weeks, and i love it. It usually takes about 6 weeks for it to take full effect, its diminishing my anxiety, last night i slept without my tv on for the first time in a long time. 

While it hasnt helped my visuals it hasnt had any effect on them at all. So for those of you if anxiety is truly crippling you but you fear that visuals may get worse, i think this is a med you should try. Ive read that its also helped people with visual snow in the past. Take care guys.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HDDeer said:

Havent been here for a while, nothing has really changed in regards to my hppd, just thought id give an update to the med i started.

Started taking a med called amitriptyline. Its an old antidepressant that was used back in the 60's for  a treatment of numerous things.

Its actually been doing me pretty good, the thing about this med is that it doesn't focus completely on serotonin like SSRIs normally do. This medication actually hits a bunch of different receptors in the brain which is why its more than likely it can cause a lot of side effects, non hppd related. 

The med hits a bunch of receptors because its used to treat a lot of neurological disorders like migraines and nerve pain, its also used to treat bipolar, ptsd, anxiety and depression, and helps you get really good rem sleep, ive noticed i dont need as much sleep as i used to and when i wake up my mind feels refreshed. 

Ive been on it for about two weeks, and i love it. It usually takes about 6 weeks for it to take full effect, its diminishing my anxiety, last night i slept without my tv on for the first time in a long time. 

While it hasnt helped my visuals it hasnt had any effect on them at all. So for those of you if anxiety is truly crippling you but you fear that visuals may get worse, i think this is a med you should try. Ive read that its also helped people with visual snow in the past. Take care guys.

Neato, maybe post back in a couple of weeks to give an update on if your hppd symptoms continue to remain unaffected 😊

I took mirtazipine for a while, a tetracyclic antidepressant and it worked wonders for anxiety and depression, but after about a week of use it caused my visual symptoms to become worse.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...