I believe I have been experiencing HPPD, for the last 23 years... is that possible??

Snigglefutz

Is that a possibility? Long story short when I was 13 yo (now 41) my brother gave me some LSD he picked up at a GD show at RFK. I took a couple of drops of liquid not sure of the dosing... anyways it was a absolutely horrible experience. I was admitted to the hospital, by my mother. They gave me a sedative and I continued to trip hard for the next 16-20 hrs. 

In the following several days I continued with heavy trails, movement in my visual periphery, auras around people and objects, after images, visual snow (at night only), abnormal vibrancy, etc... since then I have experienced all of that at some level of intensity depending on situations. I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks as long as I can remember. At this point I’m unsure if that started before or after.  

I had tripped 2-3 times prior to this incident, all great experiences. And about 5 years later I had maybe 10-15 experiences with mushrooms and LSD. I smoked cannabis from 16-18. I went into the military and was on hiatus for 5 years. When I got out I smoked again for several years after my military service ended until employment ended that due to randoms. This year I am finally free to smoke cannabis again. 

I vape only cbd/indica at night to help with sleep and joint pain. I do notice a slight uptick in my visual disturbances but with the lights out it doesn’t effect me quite as bad. The dose is probably .2g of flower.

I had stumbled on a good link about HPPD when I was researching after images and auras. I read the article and was like holy crap has this been my issue all of these years? I recently went through and 8hr neuropsychological examination, where I was diagnosed with PTSD, low mood and ADHD. In the article I read, it states that HPPD exhibits symptoms similar to all of the things I have been diagnosed with.... 

I thought I had just fried myself and had to live with the visual disturbances. Well I did do permanent damage it seems, but I was unaware it was possible to treat it all of these years.

Is there a legitimate natural or medical treatment for this? I had seen lions mane, clonidine, and a few other supplements and medications that have some success controlling the symptoms. Does anyone have any experience? I’m sure I do have ptsd at some level, that event coupled with other non psychedelic related events in my life.. but I think this is the answer to my visual issues I have been experiencing since the summer of 1990. 

Kind of the same story for me, i lived 20 years thinking I had some kind of breakdown or psychotic episode that left me this symptoms, except, i've always been very sound and healthy since that time (had a massive shroom dosage when i was 18) , and actually very grounded and successfull in my adult life..So something did not match the puzzle. After i did 10 years of psychotherapy with not results, I just stopped looking, and did not care any more...until I heard of HPPD on youtube, it all made sense and I finally knew that was IT ! And by then i could search for a relief, finally, after all those years.

I tried almost all the supplements around (the usual and the non usual) - no results, only placebo.

Finally I decieded to try Lamictal first, because Keppra "rage" and mood did scare me a little.

Results at 50mg/day, yet : Much better ! Brain fog/dream like feeling (i was so use to , that i forgot I had it) gone

- Social interactions improved drastically : I'm not always over forcing my attention to focus on the situation / pay attention or get interest in what people are saying

- Visual : slight improvement (my computer screen really less messed up, when i work) - less sparkle and glitters  (i guess this might improve much more at higher dosage)

So i will keep rising the dosage.

I had 0 side effects only benefits.

I believe a PTSD therapy like EMDR or other may give good results, but the practicians here in my city know nothing about HPPD or are not willing to help/try experiment on it...So the chemical way is still good to take for now.

Edited by olivier24445

I know of no medicinal treatment for HPPD symptoms, however I have found that mindfulness training has helped me tremendously in controlling the way that I respond to visual symptoms. I find that over a period of time my symptoms have reduced in length and severity through the use of a few calming techniques. Furthermore, I have completely eliminated caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco from my system. HPPD tends to be worsened by any type of mind altering substance or stimulant. 

Olivier, thank you for the response and feedback. Yes our experience seems to parallel. I have always had a successful career, a good marriage, children. Like you, years of therapy for anxiety, and panic. I experience low mood at times.  I often wonder if things would have been different for me without this burden. I am seeing a psychiatrist today to see what my options are at this point. I will mention Lamictal and Keppra. I will keep the thread updated with my outcomes.

Thank you, for responding, Miller. Greatly appreciated. My visual manifestations have waned in intensity over the years, as well. They are mild/moderate these days, but frequency persists. The constant anxiety over all of these years is what has really taken its toll on me, I feel. I have used mindful breathing and meditation on and off over the past couple of years. I will try to make a routine of it for the next few months to see if it helps more.

i've had it for 23 years now too... more than possible and sadly, there are people here who are in the 40+ years club.

Here's my medication regime... Not a cure, but quite the band aid!

I use a 4 days on, 3 days off benzo treatment with 10 days off every 2 months to further clean the system. It has worked for 10 years now, without any sign of tolerance or withdrawal:

Lorazepam (2.5mg) - Thursday 6pm
Clonazepam (1mg) - Friday 9am
Clonazepam (1mg) - Saturday 9am
Lorazepam (2.5mg) - Sunday 9am

• Upvote 1

I started taking psychedelics around the same age.  After six years of heavy use I finally stopped.  I've had visuals ever since.  I'm now 59.  So yes, it can linger for a long time.  Some of my symptoms have vanished almost entirely  (Closed Eye Visuals for example) but the visuals are still with me.

I took the natural approach.  Sobriety, meditation, and I try to stay as focused as possible.  I do this because when I'm focused I don't hallucinate.

Don't despair, just because I have (probably) permanent visuals, doesn't mean you will.  I'm just a run of the mill human and life is wonderful.  Even with the visuals.

Take care of yourself.