TAKING ORPHENADRINE CITRATE (Part of Deliriant Class) for Muscle Injury

⚠️   A few days ago, I ended up in the Emergency Room after a hip/back injury two days prior was increasing in pain and I could not sit up without assistance. 

Luckily, CTscan and other tests showed no organ damage or issue (hernia/etc) but there are three muscles that cross in that area and the deepest layer is often what causes that pain. After getting IV opiate of some sort, I was discharged.

It is a few days later. and I just returned from my doctor's office. My back was exceptionally tight at the location, and I consented to a therapy with lidocaine and multiple injections at different sites (Graphic description: It felt like a meat tenderizer, but in the best way possible). Then a steroid shot. 

Lastly. prescribed Orphenadrine, 

orphenadrine-citrate1.gif

Orphenadrine is toxic when overdosed and typically induces anticholinergic effects

I have 100mg Extended Release tabs. Honestly, based on the action of this older drug it probably would not be a great choice for a person with HPPD. However, I don't like cyclobenzaprine because it makes me feel awful in the morning. 

I will report tomorrow how the entire experience impacts HPPD.

When writing reports with medications, make sure to tag the medication and that will allow for very easy searching of medication info for people.

So far, I do feel a little dry mouth. I have Biotene for this, which is a smart thing to have around. Actually, I am definitely feeling "altered" and it is T + 40 minutes. 

I just spent a minute or so lost in my bouncing leg and thinking about the tingling. I am going to lay down for sure.

- david

The following is my experience with drug. Everyone is different, but the board is a source of information when others input their stories and the user can make better choices with their doctor about what therapies to try. 

Now that is out of the way. . . 

From 1 to 10, where 1 is the worst outcome and 10 is the best outcome, here is my score for this muscle relaxer:

3️⃣ I WILL SEEK AN ALTERNATIVE MEDICATION FOR THIS IF POSSIBLE, AND UNLESS MY PAIN RATES a 9 or 10 then I rather deal with the pain.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw== - Today, the Head Zaps have started. If you have taken an SSRI, you are probably all to familar with the feeling. My best description would be that this feeling is how you imagine the first 1/2 second of a seizure.. Turning my head up and down or left and right will induce the zaps. Zaps are bad. My back is feeling better and this morning is my last dose.  I AM GETTING THEM RIGHT THIS SECOND. About 5 to 9 full body. chest notable and head. 

?wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw== With the zaps and head fog, I will get dizzy for a brief moment and then be ok. 

?wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw== The DRY MOUTH is awful. I do take gabapentin, which is also notorious for dry mouth, and I am comparing my normal state to what changes occurred after taking the medication.
I have a bottle of Biotene Dry Mouth Oral Rinse. It is a great product (but overpriced) to help with dry mouth. However, this feels like trying to make the Sahara Desert into a body of water. Lemon Ice or just ice is good for this.

☣️wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==  Overall, the experience of side effects at 100mg Extended-Release taken twice daily feels like an SSRI "head energy buzz that isn't comfortable: 

I have no active affiliate account with Amazon. Here is a link for convenience for anyone with dry mouth. I do think they changed the formula.

BIOTENE

Constant Zapping, standing up and sitting down, tremors, vivid hallucinations in edges of my eyes. Sleeping feels like it will NOT easy, but I also  fall asleep holding my phone in my hand playing a game or reading news. 

UPDATED RATING:  ?

Even it has dilated pupils.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I might have inquired about orphenadrine on this site around the year 2012. I had a similar experience as described above, although I stopped taking it merely after one pill. One pill was sufficient to notice a change in the baseline level of my hppd.   

My visuals were “enhanced “— or more noticeable, and as a result; my dp/dr increased. Thankfully this only lasted for a few weeks, as far as I remember.  It was not the worst experience I’ve ever had with medications increasing my visuals, but personally, I would never take it again  because there are other muscle relaxers that lack this side effect. 

In the last 10 years or more, I haven’t been as “affected” by medications as I once was, therefore; I was surprised by this one.  Granted,  I did no research prior to taking Orphenadrine because other muscle relaxers I’ve previously been rx’d had no adverse effects on my HPPD 

I logged this upon reading David’s experience in order to compile data for others who might come here wondering how this particular medication affected someone with HPPD.  Of course, we know by now that we are all slightly different and like the old saying goes: your mileage may vary. 

Edited by uknowme
  • Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

This is a really helpful post, thanks. With a muscle injury, I thought I was suffering from back pain after working at the computer for a long time. I work 14 hours per day, so I wasn't surprised to feel this pain. I went without a coach for several months and believed that I was doing everything right and sports would help me keep myself in good shape. But I was wrong. I got injured while doing the exercise but didn't attach much importance to it. The more time passes, the harder it is for me to move. Already reading articles about getting disabled https://www.oxnerpermarlaw.com/what-are-my-chances-of-winning-an-appeal/. I still hope I won't need it, but the doctor does not say anything specific...

Edited by Kimciolly