DP/DR SUFFERERS! TOPOMAX!

My only theory (and sad attempt at pharmacokinetics) is that part of the basis of action of LSD or HPPD is that certain neuroreceptors fold in on themselves. Thus not really being in a convulsive state. Perhaps the other medications I was on (which re-aggravated some of those neuroreceptors) caused them to temporarily open back up again just long enough for the lamotrigine to work its anti convulsant magic, not allowing those neuroreceptors in their re-aggravated state to fold back in on themselves.

@Onemorestep any thoughts on this theory?

If anything it would have been the buspar that actually caused the chain reaction to happen due to its excitation of the already neurotoxic 5ht2a.

Its only after I've completely discontinued buspar that I've noticed lamotrigine have any effect on my hppd. It had never helped prior to me having taken the buspar or topomax. 

Sigh. I wish I could spend a whole life doing research on the subject. And help people in the same boat. But, it's almost serendipitous, that this would work. 

On 5/13/2018 at 0:58 PM, jbalsa2 said:

It really sucks, but the lamotrigine is noticeably working now, something i've never noticed before. I can't help but wonder if there is a connection between that overly stimulated state, and the lamotrigine actually starting to become effective. Perhaps part of the reason why it works for some but not others? Not sure, and not going to say anything thats either here nor there.

What makes me wonder now is if the lamotrigine will continue to work as it is after my symptoms return to baseline, or if it is just temporarily helping my overstimulated state. Im reluctant to say.

@jbalsa2

this is a very interesting point you bring up. I do believe that medications can feel very different if you’re in a ramped up state vs “normal”. Whenever I take a benzodiazepine drug in a overstimulated state, I feel relatively good and focused. However, if I take them when I feel “normal” or good then it just depresses my affect and I feel numb. 

I would like to look on the bright side—you can always reduce your lamictal dose to meet your current excitatory needs.

ill admit I haven’t spent a whole lot of time researching topamax. Can you tell me where the dopaminergic mechanism is coming from? The only thing I can think of is the ampa antagonization whichnis anxiolytics and the mechanism of several abusable dissasociatives that can feel pleasurable such a pcp or fycompa.

also, I can’t remember where I read this, but years ago I read a case study on hppd about a woman who tried Budapest. Her hppd was severe and she reported a worsening of certain symptoms. Probably related to its 5ht2a and downstream effects.

48 minutes ago, TheMythos said:

Curious what you think about the chances that this could have been placebo?

It’s never a bad thing to rule out. To me, this reads easily similar to experiences I’ve had with similar medications though. I’ve personally never experienced a positive placebo effect and find it hard to wrap my head around. One would think I would have, since I never do any kind of blind study on myself (always research as much as I can). Probably my strong negative mindset ? 

1 minute ago, Onemorestep said:

It’s never a bad thing to rule out. To me, this reads easily similar to experiences I’ve had with similar medications though. I’ve personally never experienced a positive placebo effect and find it hard to wrap my head around. One would think I would have, since I never do any kind of blind study on myself (always research as much as I can). Probably my strong negative mindset ? 

I get what you're saying but the first couple of posts he made were "wow this is amazing it's basically curing my dpdr and I feel great" - then a med adjustment and "well I guess that's it".

It was 3 weeks. We've all been there.

I'm about to try Lions Mane and it could be the same thing. 

I could be wrong though. He should try Depakote or Keppra. Or maybe Keto.

@Onemorestep although I can't find any information that directly mention Topomax's dopaminergic activity, I can only mention how my experience went, and can confirm among the various other people at the inpatient centre who were on Topomax had felt the same effect initially. It does stabilize after a while though. 

From what i've read about Keppra, Topomax and Keppra seem to have a similar initial onset, where one feels alert, full of energy etc, but similar to Keppra, Topomax's rush stabilizes over time.

@TheMythos definitely not a placebo effect, topomax's effects can be felt immediately after you take your first dose, and at the smallest dose available. (25mg) It just aids your brain in the hear and now moment to sort of snap out of DP/DR. Visual acuity is improved, without having an effect on visual snow, and you feel clear headed for a while.

Unfortunately in my case, it didn't take long for me to recognize the negative effects that Buspar was having on my visual snow, and at that point my doctor was really trying to push my dosage of Topomax, far too fast for me to handle in such a short time frame. This is inevitably what caused me to have to stop taking these meds and reset for a while.

Does depakote carry a risk for Ataxia? I'm just getting myself back to baseline state before I start trying out some new medications, although keppra is definitely on my to do list at the moment.

Not sure about ataxia... funny it’s so close to ataraxia but deff not as nice...

i would love love to try topamax but my body responded so poorly to keppra I have a bit too much anxiety about it. Since I don’t know what MoA in keppra caused them, I can’t say whether top won’t do the same.

im interested to see if you’ll return to the same state as pre topamax. I know keppra seemed to have benefits for me even after I stopped.

Its been 5 days now since I stopped taking all 3 meds, buspar, topomax, and lamotrigine.

I would say by far buspar had the worst side effects - but after being on doses of these meds for 3 weeks, and stopping all of them at the same time, I'm more or less back to baseline.

Topomax I would say is definitely not a cure on its own, but can be useful at aiding in dp/dr symptoms. What's nice is that the lowest dosage (25mg) has an immediate effect, and I don't believe topomax on its own had a tremendously negative impact on my hppd or baseline as the buspar did.

I'm seeing my outpatient psych next tuesday to see what my options are. Might give keppra a go.

Buspar didn't do shit for me but I don't remember how long I was on it.

Why aren't you considering Briviact? Isn't it an analogue of Keppra's with less side effects?

Have you tried the ketogenic diet? It has a lot of anticonvulsant properties.

On 5/19/2018 at 2:09 AM, jbalsa2 said:

@TheMythos my psych doctor is likely going to put me back on benzos for a while, and I think il use that opportunity to test out Keppra.

I've also heard success stories of people using Naltrexone, so i might also give that one a go as well.

I've been thinking of naltrexone... maybe try that first because it shouldn't take as long as keppra to work.

On 5/19/2018 at 2:09 AM, jbalsa2 said:

@TheMythos my psych doctor is likely going to put me back on benzos for a while, and I think il use that opportunity to test out Keppra.

I've also heard success stories of people using Naltrexone, so i might also give that one a go as well.

I’ve been thinking a bit about naltrexone too. Lately I’ve been using DSIP at nights and I notice it makes me feel pretty great. One of the ways it works is my mild opioid antagonism so if that is what I’m responding to then low dose naltrexone might be nice too.