Omega 3's are mentioned a lot for there importance for brain health. Vitamin D can also pass the blood-brain barrier, so it should be investigated for mental health also. I drove over some papers on vitamin D and depression since yesterday, so I will share some of those here. Depression impacts quality of life and it is usually implicated to be self-caused. According to science, depression can be biological, therefore depression is not always a lack of spiritual perspective or a case of "bad" vibes. My conclusion from these papers is that most cases of depression are very situational. Vitamin D deficiencies are not rare, and can potentially have a healing affect with some cases, similar to anti-depressants. The optimal ways to get vitamin D in my opinion, is sunshine and mushrooms. I would stay away from raw mushrooms due to carcinogens reported in the literature. heat destroys them though. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2132000

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3751336/
Efficacy of vitamin D supplementation in depression in adults: a systematic review protocol
"The efficacy of vitamin D supplementation in depression has raised lots of concern. Vitamin D is considered as a neurosteroid [56], and now it is attested that vitamin D metabolites can cross the blood–brain barrier [34]. Because of the widespread presence of vitamin D receptor in areas of the brain including the hippocampus which is associated with the development of depression [23], it could be speculated that there is a clinical effect of vitamin D on depression."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26680471
Vitamin D in anxiety and affective disorders.
"Reduced levels of vitamin or its metabolites have been reported in various psychiatric disorders. Insufficient levels of vitamin D in depressive patients have been confirmed by many authors. Significantly lower levels of calcidiol (vitamin D) were found in men and women with depression as well as in age matched patients with anxiety disorders.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25713056
Vitamin D and the omega-3 fatty acids control serotonin synthesis and action, part 2: relevance for ADHD, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and impulsive behavior.
"Serotonin regulates a wide variety of brain functions and behaviors. Here, we synthesize previous findings that serotonin regulates executive function, sensory gating, and social behavior and that attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and impulsive behavior all share in common defects in these functions. It has remained unclear why supplementation with omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D improve cognitive function and behavior in these brain disorder"

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Brad85
      Hi there. I've had HPPD since I was about 19... so going on 16 years now.  I won't get into all the details but what I'm wondering is if anyone has resolved, or read about someone who resolved their Blue Field Entoptic Phenomenon (BFEP)?  This is probably one of my most annoying symptoms and is prevalent on any large bright surface.  Central vision and peripheral. 
      Any feedback would be much appreciated.

- Brad
    • By KFS
      Hi Guys,
      Been on and off this forum since I got HPPD 6 years ago but never posted.
      I'd had a solid 4 years of stability and thought I was well on the road to accepting the condition and dealing with my new life. (I got HPPD in 2014 after taking LSD for the first and only time - tho I had been doing MDMA and Weed for a while before).
      Sadly that all changed early this year. I took on a massively stressful project at work late last year and by the end of Jan my DP/DR was suddenly through the roof (no change in visuals tho). I was getting jamais vu every day and getting these emotions/memories that just didn't feel like mine. I tried to just keep going with the hope that it would recede again ... it didn't.  Unfortunately, It's been like a perfect storm with Covid-19. When Lockdown happened I was stuck by myself for like 2 months and it just spiralled. In short I now realise that I'm properly depressed in a way I've never been before. Obviously, I'm freaking out cus I know how SSRI's can go down. I tried 1 10mg amitriptyline (TCA) just before LD and it just made me feel super narsty so I didn't continue (no affect on my HPPD tbf tho). I've read some people do ok on Wellbutrin but I've also seen people say it doesn't work for long. I've been wondering whether anyone has had any experience with taking MAOi's - I've searched thru previous posts and haven't found much (apologies if I've just missed it I'm not really with it atm)? TBH I'd be really grateful for any recommendations at this point.

TLDR: Has anyone tried MAOi for depression - any feedback on how it affected their HPPD?

• By Sambabeat78
      Hello my friends, 
      I'm writing an article for The Independent about HPPD. I'd like to talk first-hand with sufferers of the disorder and document their stories. This article will spread awareness about the risks of psychedelic drug-taking and show what can go wrong. 
      If you're interested in having a short chat or sending a summary of your experience with HPPD, then please email me at eddie.prideaux@gmail.com. You can be anonymous on request, don't worry. 
      Ed
    • By AntoCVSS
      Hey guys,
      I started taking Clonazepam in a really small dose (0,2mg per day) 3 days ago, and yesterday evening I started getting possitive palinopsia and hard afterimages.
      Is it possible that Clonazepam induced me this?
      My psychiatrist prescribed it to me for Sertraline and Lorazepam withadrawl, for not getting too much abstinence (I am currently on Sertraline 50mg and Lorazepam 0,5mg and going down every week step by step)
    • By AntoCVSS
      Hello guys,
      During the last 3 months my symptoms increased a lot and I still thinking it’s because Sertraline. I’ve been taking Sertraline 100mg for 3 years now, same with Lorazepam 1g, every day during 3 years.
      I talked to my med and he wants to take me off the Sertraline and change Lorazepam for Clonazepam some weeks / months. I am super afraid of withadrawl and also of still using benzodiazepines. My symptoms nowadays are: Severe VS, severe ghosting and palinopsia with afterimages, photophobia, photopsias, nyctalopia, flashes, color problems, apparent movement in objects, kind of bugs in vision, and really mild shaking vision (just on my periphery).

What I can do? Please I need help because my symptoms are so severe nowadays and I don’t want to get them worse, actually I would like they come back at least to last year were they weren’t so noticeable. 
      I get intrusive thoughts everyday and I need help. I’m 21 years old.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.