Possible cause discovered (theory)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/09/08/depression-physical-illness-could-treated-anti-inflammatory/

Researchers are now starting to believe that depression is a dysfunction of the immune system.

Some dude on Reddit went on a 3 day fast and said it cured his HPPD symptoms.

https://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/

What if hppd (and most mental illnesses) are the immune system attacking the nervous system?

Fasting puts your brain in a state of ketosis within a day. I think I'm going to do a 3 day water fast and see if anything improves.

Edited by Guest

I'm highly skeptical of this theory. It just doesn't make sense. I've heard these stories here or there but the people who post them never answer follow up questions and there have also been many who've tried long period of fasting with no substantial results. Fasting alone can't cure autoimmunity. There are a wide range of autoimmune disorders caused by a wide range of instigating factors. I'm not gonna say HPPD isn't one, because nobody knows, but even if it were then people would have had much more rapid healing given how many different types of solutions people have tried. HPPD recovery aligns much more accurately with brain damage (4-5 years) than autoimmune disorders which can be treated effectively in a matter of months. 

If I got hppd in 2009 but started experiencing my worst symptoms in 2015 after non stop panic, how does that fall into the 4-5 year timeline?

I hadn't done a psychedelic since 2012. Are you saying anxiety gave me brain damage?

On 12/09/2017 at 1:24 AM, TheMythos said:

If I got hppd in 2009 but started experiencing my worst symptoms in 2015 after non stop panic, how does that fall into the 4-5 year timeline?

I hadn't done a psychedelic since 2012. Are you saying anxiety gave me brain damage?

I think you also have to be open minded to the fact that you were also on pharmaceuticals which in a lot of ways can do more harm than good. I'm not saying that's your only problem there could be more to it. 

The cause of HPPD is fairly simple and very detailed in my ongoing thread. Its simply neuronal overexcitation leading to apoptosis. I've posted an endless amount of information showing its the only possible cause.

Neurogenesis is the only possible cure for HPPD.

Also the guys theory is easily disproved in the fact that if it were caused by immune dysfunction attacking the brain, it would most likely be a progressive disease. Which its not. 

Edited by dasitmane

I guess I'm kinda confused. I keep getting better (feeling like I'm recovering), then I'll feel like I'm getting worse. Then I'll climb out of that and feel like I'm recovering again.

Are you saying every time I feel worse I'm having apoptosis? Are HPPDers constantly experiencing this or was it just the one time we did the drug(s)? There's a lot of unanswered questions.

I just went 2 days sleeping 4 hours yesterday and 1 1/2 the day before. I went to bed at 3 this morning got up at 1:15 and feel like hell. I thought getting 10 hours would help but it seemed to have made me worse.

On 9/12/2017 at 1:24 AM, TheMythos said:

If you got HPPD in 2009 and continued taking drugs, especially psychedelics, then you could theoretically have prevented yourself from healing by aggravating whatever damage had occurred after the initial injury. Also, it's really difficult to assess your situation if the only information you provide is that your symptoms worsened in 2015. There could be an entire range of different reasons as to why your symptoms worsened. I know you've mentioned you've tried many different medications, often in combination with one another, and this is one of the main culprits of worsening symptoms. I can't even eat a certain combination of common organic foods without my symptoms worsening so it wouldn't be much of a surprise if your symptoms worsened for a variety of different reasons, especially pharmaceuticals. 

I'm still a novice when it comes to neuroscience but my understanding is that upon initial injury the nerve dendrites are what's potentially damaged and that as long as drugs and other toxic substances are hence abstained from then those branches of the cell can regrow, but if damage is further exacerbated then the entire cell could be at risk of necrosis which is why remaining drug free during recovery is so crucial. This isn't to say those who have HPPD for more than five years can't eventually recover, especially given the advances in neuroscience right now, but doing it the natural route doesn't appear likely. Although again, I'm no scientist. If anybody would like to correct any of the above information I'd encourage you to do so.  

10 minutes ago, K.B.Fante said:

If you got HPPD in 2009 and continued taking drugs, especially psychedelics, then you could theoretically have prevented yourself from healing by aggravating whatever damage had occurred after the initial injury. Also, it's really difficult to assess your situation if the only information you provide is that your symptoms worsened in 2015. There could be an entire range of different reasons as to why your symptoms worsened. I know you've mentioned you've tried many different medications, often in combination with one another, and this is one of the main culprits of worsening symptoms. I can't even eat a certain combination of common organic foods without my symptoms worsening so it wouldn't be much of a surprise if your symptoms worsened for a variety of different reasons, especially pharmaceuticals. 

I'm still a novice when it comes to neuroscience but my understanding is that upon initial injury the nerve dendrites are what's potentially damaged and that as long as drugs and other toxic substances are hence abstained from then those branches of the cell can regrow, but if damage is further exacerbated then the entire cell could be at risk of necrosis which is why remaining drug free during recovery is so crucial. This isn't to say those who have HPPD for more than five years can't eventually recover, especially given the advances in neuroscience right now, but doing it the natural route doesn't appear likely. Although again, I'm no scientist. If anybody would like to correct any of the above information I'd encourage you to do so.  

Panic lead to my symptoms getting worse. A lot of panic and stress.

In all the years I used drugs since the initial onset of hppd, nothing came close to what I've been experiencing the past 2 years.

I've had moments of feeling like I've recovered, so I'm not going to believe anything that says this can't be beat. BDNF can regrow dendrites and new cells.

Edited by Guest

I had a buddy who got it from LSD. Continued to do drugs like coke and got addicted to spice. He also was prescribed klonopin and was on 6 mg a day for 2 years. He tapered off the klonopin and had withdrawals for 8 months straight (told me he'd rather get shot than go through that again).

He completely recovered and has a full time job and a good life. Said he doesn't even think of HPPD anymore.

Just look at the success stories thread. Plenty of people who continued to use drugs and made a full recovery.

Plus, thinking excitotoxicity is the culprit is still just speculation. Dr. Abraham leaned toward a malfunction in the COMT enzyme. I'm not saying that's the culprit either, but we're still shooting darts in a dark room hoping we hit the bullseye.

On 9/16/2017 at 10:33 PM, TheMythos said:

I had a buddy who got it from LSD. Continued to do drugs like coke and got addicted to spice. He also was prescribed klonopin and was on 6 mg a day for 2 years. He tapered off the klonopin and had withdrawals for 8 months straight (told me he'd rather get shot than go through that again).

He completely recovered and has a full time job and a good life. Said he doesn't even think of HPPD anymore.

Just look at the success stories thread. Plenty of people who continued to use drugs and made a full recovery.

Plus, thinking excitotoxicity is the culprit is still just speculation. Dr. Abraham leaned toward a malfunction in the COMT enzyme. I'm not saying that's the culprit either, but we're still shooting darts in a dark room hoping we hit the bullseye.

I agree. I hope I didn't sound like I think this thing can't be beat by everyone. I truly believe that as long as you return the body to its natural state it will heal. I'm experiencing this in my own recovery and there are plenty of stories that prove this as well. Also with so much research geared towards neurogenesis it's only a matter of time before there's access to medication that might totally reverse HPPD if it is in fact some form of cell destruction. 

13 hours ago, HDDeer said:

I think what we describe hppd as is nothing but symptoms of true mental illnesses we brought out by doing drugs.

That might be true for many cases but I don't think that "HPPD" is the same for everyone, it is a term used to summarize various symptoms triggered by drug use. I am not sure if visuals alone without mental symptoms could be described as mental illness.

Yeah I don't either. Especially my symptoms for the past 2 years which were triggered by panic attacks, not drugs. People are always looking at hppd through their individual lens and people with mild hppd have no idea how bad it can get. I know because my hppd was mild for 6 years.

Stress. I have OCD so that stress turned into hypochondria and that turned into panic. I'm over most of the fear and panic. I dont get depressed anymore either but the damn HPPD keeps fluctuating in intensity.

I think stress and panic attacks are unlikely to trigger or worsen hppd. I don't have any data to confirm my statement, as there is none, but do you really not recall any strange substance, including medication or other absolutely new drug or food you've taken in the period you had your hppd worsen? If you really don't recall any new substance you took for the first time in your life about a month before your hppd worsening, then maybe it is stress, but I've had stressful years, not just weeks, and they didn't affect my vision, maybe 1-2% worsening, if any, really.