Where to start

EmIly

I'm ready to try to take meds. I need them but can't afford a mental break down where I almost am now. What drugs should I start with. The baby's the least side effects I need something. I'm having a really hard time trying to keep it together. Any help would be great. my symptoms are high anxiety right now visual snow, after images, floaters, some strange movement, brain fogg, some cognitive issues, and irritability and I think depression. I've had hppd for years it just starred to get this bad.

I use no drugs or alcohol. Any help would be great! I've been to Boston to see dr.A but was to scared to try anything. I'm past that now I think. Thanks

Thanks for reply. I told you about the procedure I had well it was fine but the prilosec (I think that's what did it) had a funny effect on me I started having panic issues that just will not go away along with acid reflux. I'm thinking about tacking something for it tonight.

I looked up side affects of prilosec anxiety is one of the many. I've lost 10pds since this has started and I'm afraid. I can't seem to get this under control.

Awww man, i cant take prilosec either? I have acid reflux too, it's gotten better since i started eating semi healthy, but there was a time when i would throw up just by brushing my teeth in the morning, my gag reflex was super sensitive (insert gay joke here haha) My dad has it pretty bad, he wakes up choking in the middle of the night, prilosec is the only thing that's helped...

So it's just anxiety thats spiking? I know that can make the visuals worse, but as long as youre not worried about it, you should be fine...i wouldnt recommend diving into benzos just because of what youd have to go through with withdrawal, i would recommend however, a good valerian root supplement and chamomile tea, it's what i take and it does wonders somehow...just try to keep your mind off it...

As far as meds...sinemet or keppra id say are your two best options...btw, how long have you had HPPD? Howd you get it? Did it ever improve or somethin...im starting year 2, been thinkin about what the future holds for me alot.

Strange enough, I've had acid reflux for years.. So bad at one point I had ulcers in my throat when the scoped my throat and stomach. I never took all the prilosec and other reflux meds they tried to throw at me. I started the ketogenic/candida diet and the acid reflux became under control as long as stayed on the diet. Since starting Keppra it's been almost non-existent, so far at least... I won't hold my breath but I certainly feel fortunate for the break.

Thank you for the replies it means a ton to me right now. My hppd started when I was 16 drug use.it's gotten a lot better over the years almost gone. I also worried about the day I'm in now when I would have to look into drugs for help.( I have a huge phobia about meds) prilosec caused really bad side effects for me and I feel like I've been droped at ground zero. I've lost 11pds now and can't seem to eat and have been having thoughts of just ending it. I know how bad that sounds it's miles away from where I was just a month ago. I just don't know what to do. I even thought about checking into a physic hospital but they will just give me anti depressants which I heard can make it worse. Which I def can't take right now. I tried Prozac once it brought on dp which made me have a panic attack. Yeah lots of fun this has been. Will this ever end

Since Prozac (SSRI [serotonin agonist]) brought on DP and panic, perhaps somewhat the opposite would due. There isn't much in the antagonist department - mostly atypical antipsychotics which are not known to help HPPD. Usually antipsychotics are troublesome with HPPD.

However, from the standpoint of the circadian rhythm, dopamine is an 'opposite' - it's levels see-saw with serotonin. There are a few who report help with Sinemet - perhaps 50% (but only a few on this forum have actually tried)

For me, Sinemet helps these that you listed: anxiety, strange movement, brain fog, cognative issues, irritability and depression.

Are you still taking Prilosec? Was this for h pylori ?

You said you went to Boston to see Dr A. Did he forward suggestions to any of your doctors of things you could try?

I went to see dr.A about a year ago with my sister. He was very kind and I picked up 3 diff kinds of meds. Can't say what they were but you probably already know. I picked them up at the mom and pop pharmacy that's by his office and then couldn't get myself to take them I was to scared. What do you do for someone who's unable to even try. So it's not his fault but mine. He didn't know a doc in the Dallas area he new someone in Houston but that's to far for me to see as a reg. Doc. If you know anyone in Dallas that would be amazing. I'm off everything now exept tylenol and backing soda when my throat closes up do to acid. I'm really trying to eat but have lost all apatite and am fearful every time I eat what the result will be. I have a antiy anxiety drug at home but don't know if it will make it better or worse. By the way you made a post somewhere saying you do what you have to. It got me thr my endoscopy. It's the little things. someone else guided me away from a problematic drug so I am already very grateful.

hey! im so glad the site is back up. I dont take much tylenol at all maybe once a week. I've really been watching my diet and it seems to help but i still have the reflux every day but im hopeful that with a good diet it will pass. I've learned something from all of this i can say no to dr's. If you go to a dr. you will be given a med. thats just the way things work.

I went to a natural dr. have a ton of natural treatments now i guess i'll see how that works. It actually was a kind of funny experience i thought at one point my mom was going to run for the door. I kept saying be open minded but at a her age the mind has opened and now is closed. Anyway one thought is i have a friend who has fully recovered from reflux with hgh also they are starting to use this with ms for cognative effects. its really expensive and some side effects. idk im scared to take anything and now im talking about injecting a synthetic human growth hormone. I'm all talk. I'm sorry anyone else has this but im so glad to know im not alone.

sry yes i do still have meds. from Boston and did think about it. idk i could but when he talked to me about them he made it sound as if it was just an every now and then drug like if i needed it for reading. My reg doc wants me to take a benzo 30 min. before tacking another ppi. It's funny i always thought it was hard to get those kinds of drugs i have dr's trying to shove them down my throat. i keep telling them i have some already at home untouched no need to call more in. ow well what do you do

Yes doctors can be unpredictable. Some think benzoes are the devil and others a gift from God. Used (not abused) they are the best anti-anxiety on the planet. While best for short term use, some stay on them for life. Others have withdrawl issues as you may read elsewhere in the forum.

As far as how a med will help reading - it depends. My vision is now VERY sharp even if not taking the med for weeks. You don't know how long a med with help - or even IF it will help - unless you try it.

How is the HGH supposed to help you? Acid reflux?

Ok i found the meds there are 2 one im ok with trying the other i dont think so.(just because i dont know anything about it) The one i will try has only one pill in it so idk. Will i know right away without taking the other drug?

I guess then it will be a hunt for a doc that will give it to me. I'm thinking i should wait till after christmas to try it. hgh... ok it helps build lean muscle mass and im guessing it would strengthen the spinkter just a guess. but if a side effect is a clearing of brain fog that would be great. They are trying it with ms so maybe idk. It all seems like a guessing game but the price is pretty high.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to have been so long to post

HGH isn't exactly a safe thing to mess with. It is in vogue right now with many testimonials about it. Obviously if one has a real deficiency, then it might be good to take - just as are testosterone and estrogen. But the risks of taking hormones is as real as any benefits. While some report benefits in conquering acid reflux with HGH, treating anxiety and diet changes are also effective for many.

As far as stem cells, it will be beyond our life if anything develops in practice from this research. However, it should be noted that our brain problems are actually classified as mild (lol) ... the good news being there is much the brain can do to adapt and function well (well being defined as having the ability to be productive and happy)

There are so many things to try before even thinking about surgeries and implants. Save the exotics for last. And the meds Dr Abraham asked you to try are thousands of times milder and safer than these steps. There are many scare stories about medications on these forums, but equally some people get real benefits.

As far as Dr A's meds, if you are worried, have a friend with you. You should know in less than an hour if it will benefit you. Also, they have very short half lives so some people can't tell the next day that they took anything. Those who can, feel better and responded very well to it from the start.

If it helps, then explain it to your doctor and show him the prescription bottles. He may also wish to call Dr A for more info.

If it doesn't help, then at least you know and can look elsewhere.

I don't know much to say about acid reflux. The reason needs to be identified. Anxiety will aggravate this (and many digestive problems). So addressing anxiety is important. As it is with DP, DR, HPPD, depression, etc...

I sense that you have some difficulty deciding and focusing on what to do next. This is understandable giving the nature of anxiety and HPPD. It may help to have a steady friend to talk with and help you. I've used a kind counselor to help with focus. Obviously you have multiple problems to balance, so prioritize them ... perhaps anxiety being at the top.

Hope this if helpfull, for that is its purpose

Thank you! It does help i do seem to have a problem staying on one course of action. I do understand the risk in hgh but its no more of a risk then the ppi's. cnbc listed prilosec in the top 8 drugs doctors would not take. links to heart attacks. So i've really been working natural stuff and it has gotten a lot better. I had all my labs today for the hgh. I will talk more with him before i start.