• Similar Content

• By Bursting Aura
      Some research I found on anti-depressants efficacy and comparisons with placebo. Worth a read.
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4172306/ 
       From Harvard
      Antidepressants and the Placebo Effect
      Even the small statistical difference between antidepressants and placebos may be an enhanced placebo effect, due to the fact that most patients and doctors in clinical trials successfully break blind. The serotonin theory is as close as any theory in the history of science to having been proved wrong. Instead of curing depression, popular antidepressants may induce a biological vulnerability making people more likely to become depressed in the future.

The most commonly prescribed antidepressants are SSRIs, drugs that are supposed to selectively target the neurotransmitter serotonin. But there is another antidepressant that has a very different mode of action. It is called tianeptine, and it has been approved for prescription as an antidepressant by the French drug regulatory agency. Tianeptine is an SSRE, a selective serotonin reuptake enhancer. Instead of increasing the amount of serotonin in the brain, it is supposed to decrease it. If the theory that depression is caused by a deficiency of serotonin were correct, we would expect to make depression worse. But it doesn’t. In clinical trials comparing the effects of tianeptine to those of SSRIs and tricyclic antidepressants, 63% of patients show significant improvement (defined as a 50% reduction in symptoms), the same response rate that is found for SSRIs, NDRIs, and tricyclics, in this type of trial (Wagstaff, Ormrod, & Spencer, 2001). It simply does not matter what is in the medication – it might increase serotonin, decrease it, or have no effect on serotonin at all. The effect on depression is the same.
      What do you call pills, the effects of which are independent of their chemical composition? I call them “placebos.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4592645/ 
      From Duke and Brown University
      Antidepressants versus placebo in major depression: an overview
      As of now, antidepressant clinical trials have an effect size of 0.30, which, although similar to the effects of treatments for many other chronic illnesses, such as hypertension, asthma and diabetes, is less than impressive.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22147715 
      Comparative benefits and harms of second-generation antidepressants for treating major depressive disorder: an updated meta-analysis.
      Meta-analyses and mixed-treatment comparisons of response to treatment and weighted mean differences were conducted on specific scales to rate depression. On the basis of 234 studies, no clinically relevant differences in efficacy or effectiveness were detected for the treatment of acute, continuation, and maintenance phases of MDD. 

• By Bursting Aura
      Omega 3's are mentioned a lot for there importance for brain health. Vitamin D can also pass the blood-brain barrier, so it should be investigated for mental health also. I drove over some papers on vitamin D and depression since yesterday, so I will share some of those here. Depression impacts quality of life and it is usually implicated to be self-caused. According to science, depression can be biological, therefore depression is not always a lack of spiritual perspective or a case of "bad" vibes. My conclusion from these papers is that most cases of depression are very situational. Vitamin D deficiencies are not rare, and can potentially have a healing affect with some cases, similar to anti-depressants. The optimal ways to get vitamin D in my opinion, is sunshine and mushrooms. I would stay away from raw mushrooms due to carcinogens reported in the literature. heat destroys them though. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2132000
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3751336/
      Efficacy of vitamin D supplementation in depression in adults: a systematic review protocol
      "The efficacy of vitamin D supplementation in depression has raised lots of concern. Vitamin D is considered as a neurosteroid [56], and now it is attested that vitamin D metabolites can cross the blood–brain barrier [34]. Because of the widespread presence of vitamin D receptor in areas of the brain including the hippocampus which is associated with the development of depression [23], it could be speculated that there is a clinical effect of vitamin D on depression."
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26680471
      Vitamin D in anxiety and affective disorders.
      "Reduced levels of vitamin or its metabolites have been reported in various psychiatric disorders. Insufficient levels of vitamin D in depressive patients have been confirmed by many authors. Significantly lower levels of calcidiol (vitamin D) were found in men and women with depression as well as in age matched patients with anxiety disorders.
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25713056
      Vitamin D and the omega-3 fatty acids control serotonin synthesis and action, part 2: relevance for ADHD, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and impulsive behavior.
      "Serotonin regulates a wide variety of brain functions and behaviors. Here, we synthesize previous findings that serotonin regulates executive function, sensory gating, and social behavior and that attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and impulsive behavior all share in common defects in these functions. It has remained unclear why supplementation with omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D improve cognitive function and behavior in these brain disorder"
    • By justaman
      I took hppd about 2 months ago and ever since I’ve been very aware of what I’m seeing. Like at night when I’m in the car driving, I’m not sure if it’s been there before but street lights or any sort of light kinda has a glare to it, like very shiny and has like a glow to it. I’ve noticed that when I look at the moon. There’s another moon next to it but half of the size, like a glare. I suck at explaining but am I getting hppd or is all this normal? I’ve been stressing over This for a while now and I’m going to a psychologist to get checked out. 

I forgot to mention that I only taken lsd once. I’ve only smoked weed before . 
    • By Kaleidoscope
      Hello Everyone! 
      Wow! I have only recently discovered that continuous flashbacks have a label! I have had HPPD since I was 12 years old. Now I am 60. I spent the school year dropping LSD, Psycibin, Mescaline, and Marijuana. One time I simply never came down. It intensified soon soon after. I knew of no one else who had this like I did! I was simply terrified! I only told my brother, not my parents. My biggest fear was that I would get uncontrollably higher. I had every symptom but the very worst was the feeling of not being fully present. The experience was like just arriving in my own body but realizing I had already been doing whatever it was, but not with full presence. Maybe this is "de-personalization"? I would explain it to various Doctors and Opthalmologists through the years and all I got was "hmm....."! So, I finally just learned to cope. Then about a year ago I found the name HPPD. The casebook description of symptoms were as if they had read my secret diary! I know that I was never diagnosed  or believed, but I know  what drugs I used and when the HPPD started. Now it has been 48 years!  Definitely some of the symtoms are not as vivid as in the beginning, however, if I get tired or in a conglomerated atmosphere there they are. I also think after so many years these just become part of your normal perception. For me, HPPD did not go away.
      How did I cope until now? I definitely quit any drug use immediately. I gravitated toward a simple Christian way of life, actually living with Old Order Amish at times, where I was not bombarded by electric stuff. I think those who have HPPD will seriously have to deal with sensory overload and seek out a peaceful existence on many levels.
      Live your life anyway. I raised 7 children, grandchildren and life goes on, just looking through Kaliedoscope eyes!
      Be healthy! Be smart and realize sometimes one stupid mistake done in youth can change your life forever! In my case, I just wanted to be cool in 1969! I really didn't realize the risks. How true it is that we reap what we so!
      I want to cry...that I lived my whole life with this and never found anyone else with this or knew even that it was recognized!
      The only report on flashbacks I ever heard of said that they think LSD creates new neural pathways in the brain.That was maybe 30 yrs ago!
      Wow! I am truly impressed  at my own  survival! 
      Trails, pulsating breathing walls, tinnitus, time slowing down, colors, everything. Even dialated pupils. Sigh. How exhausting at times! 
      It has helped me just to keep in mind that my own perception has been tweeked.My chemistry was altered.
      I would not wish this on anyone! But, if you have it, just live your life as peaceful as you can. Do everything you normally would do because your heightened perception maybe can be helpful in other unexpected ways.
      Don't do anymore drugs.
      Dont tell others who may not understand.
      We've been tricked by the devil's potions! 
      God bless us all!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HDDeer

Closed eve visuals tapering?

13 posts in this topic

It may just be me getting used to hppd but i find my all cevs to be fading, i find my visual snow to even be less when my eyes are closed as opposed to when theyre opened. Its like im getting a taste of what its like pre trip. Itll be 4 months in 5 days. Unfortunately it seems that when my eyes are opened the static is constant.

My CEVS have completely gone so it is possible that they can go away. At the height of my HPPD CVEs when sleeping were horrible and now they're completely gone. Touch wood. My visual snow is actually worse when I shut my eyes but fine when open, i barely see anything ahah. Funny how it works

My CEVs went away but it took decades.  The fact that yours are reducing so quickly sounds like a really good sign.  Yes, with this disorder, months is quickly unfortunately.

Man that's good. I hope my CEVs go away too but its been a year and a half for me.

I havent really taken diet and exercise seriously though so I havent really done much to aid in my own recovery but that changes now.

I only had CEVs for the first few months, if that. It seems they coincided with the worst of my symptoms. As best I can describe CEVs are basically like a very light visual LSD trip when you close your eyes. I see vibrant colors, shapes, patterns, etc. Excess glutamate, caffeine and nightshades can sorta ramp up these symptoms again, but nothing too severe and it always goes back to baseline when I get that stuff out of my system. 

Ghormeh - my CEVs are weird and probably unlike anyone else's because I see them with my eyes open.

I see different things but the main theme seems to be around light, colors (any color you can imagine), static electricity, figures and faces (totally indescribable) and the movement - back, forth, up down, left right - of any of these mental phenomena. Sometimes it wouldnt be so bad if the images didnt move. Theres this one that turns into a vortex behind my eyes and goes in a circular pattern. The images that I see are super realistic and detailed. Until it started in late 2015 after the first month of panic attacks I didnt think it was possible for people to visualize the way I do.

I also seemed to develop a strange case of synesthesia that comes and goes.

8 hours ago, K.B.Fante said:

I only had CEVs for the first few months, if that. It seems they coincided with the worst of my symptoms. As best I can describe CEVs are basically like a very light visual LSD trip when you close your eyes. I see vibrant colors, shapes, patterns, etc. Excess glutamate, caffeine and nightshades can sorta ramp up these symptoms again, but nothing too severe and it always goes back to baseline when I get that stuff out of my system. 

Nightshades being...tomatoes, potatoes, that sort of thing?

I usually have a glass of chocolate milk as a treat. Anything bad in that...besides the sugar?

Are you CEVs similar to this video? Or different? Do you guys see something similar to the fractals?

52 minutes ago, TheMythos said:

Mine are a lot more vivid and intense. Like I have a movie projector playing in my head.

Exactly.  Mine were very cartoon like.  Sort of two dimensional but not always.  They were responsive to thoughts and feelings.  Technicolor for sure (is that still a word?).  The closest thing I can think of is the psychedelic drawings done by Art Crumb but constantly changing.  I'm really glad they finally cleared up.  

16 hours ago, MadDoc said:

Exactly.  Mine were very cartoon like.  Sort of two dimensional but not always.  They were responsive to thoughts and feelings.  Technicolor for sure (is that still a word?).  The closest thing I can think of is the psychedelic drawings done by Art Crumb but constantly changing.  I'm really glad they finally cleared up.  

Yep, especially the responsive to thoughts and feelings part.