Do I still have chance of recovery?

So I got very minor hppd from an acid trip around 8 months ago. After the trip I smoked weed and drank a couple times, then I started noticing static and such in my vision... so I have been clean from all substances for 5 months. The anxiety/ depression is much better, and the visuals are pretty ignorable unless in bad lighting and not very bad. If I continue to be healthy and abstain from drug use, having recently quit nicotine as well, do I still have the possibility of recovering? I've heard plenty of cases of ppl recovering and having visuals go away within 1-2 years and that's what I'm hoping for! Is this a possibility? Hppd is minor and I plan on staying healthy as I am 17 and workout on daily basis 

Yes, you have a chance at recovering.  Staying clear of psychedelics and MJ can increase those chances.  There are no guarantees in life but if you've only tripped once and you have mild symptoms then your chances are good that your symptoms will fade.  That being said, give it some time because it could take a while.

Something to think about.  I continued heavy psychedelic use for six years after I noticed my first symptoms of hppd though it was basically an unknown disorder in the 70s.  What that did to me was it gave me constant visuals that will never go away.  I can't stress enough, the best medicine is to stay clean.  Also, exercise, staying focused, and a good diet can help.  Sounds like you're doing these things already which is great!

Hang in there.

Edited by MadDoc
Foolish typing

3 minutes ago, MadDoc said:

Yes, you have a chance at recovering.  Staying clear of psychedelics and MJ can increase those chances.  There are no guarantees in life but if you've only tripped once and you have mild symptoms so your chances are good that your symptoms will fade.  That being said, give it some time because it could take a while.

Something to think about.  I continued heavy psychedelic use for six years after I noticed my first symptoms of hppd.  What that did to me was it gave me constant visuals that will never go away.  I can't stress enough, the best medicine is to stay clean.  Also, exercise, staying focused, and a good diet can help.  Sounds like you're doing these things already which is great!

Hang in there.

Also wandering...let's say in 6 months it goes away. If I wait a couple months after it's gone away, feel completely normal and my visuals are gone, would I be good to drink again, and if that doesn't have a negative effect, eventually smoke again? Want to smoke weed again so bad but I will wait until I'm fully recovered and start off slowly and cautiously 

We're all different so it's hard to say.  I found that alcohol didn't make my symptoms worse but it made my life unmanageable.  I stopped drinking almost 30 years ago.  For me, MJ makes my visuals crazy so I can't touch it in any form.  If you're going to drink or use MJ again, ease into it.  Personally, I wouldn't take the chance.  Then again I'm not 17.  I'm an old guy who has lived with this condition for a long time.  Hind sight is 20/20 or so they say.  Be careful and be well.

7 minutes ago, MadDoc said:

We're all different so it's hard to say.  I found that alcohol didn't make my symptoms worse but it made my life unmanageable.  I stopped drinking almost 30 years ago.  For me, MJ makes my visuals crazy so I can't touch it in any form.  If you're going to drink or use MJ again, ease into it.  Personally, I wouldn't take the chance.  Then again I'm not 17.  I'm an old guy who has lived with this condition for a long time.  Hind sight is 20/20 or so they say.  Be careful and be well.

Yeah well the one thing I know for sure is that I won't resume any drugs until I'm 100% visually recovered and I'm going to ease into it.

As someone who's had visual snow twice now, and both times as a result of drugs use, all I can say is stay away from drugs -- especially weed. It's a psychoactive substance and those have the worst track record in terms of HPPD. I remember my snow actually worsening in high school when I'd smoke, but I just thought nothing much of it back then because I didn't have all these other crazy HPPD symptoms that went along with it. I then stopped smoking in college and it cleared up, but once I took acid about five years later that's when I got full-blown HPPD which I wouldn't wish on anybody in the history of mankind. 

I think you're safe drinking but just be sure to ease into it, don't binge and make sure you monitor your vision the next day to see if you have any symptoms. If so, go clean again and consider never drinking. I know you're young but you need to take our advice when we say drugs aren't worth messing your brain up for your whole life. Again, I really think just as long as you consume alcohol in moderation you should be alright though. 

I've been thinking about this some.  This morning I was looking out at the spring leaves as they morphed into faces, and designs.  While I've gotten used to living with this  condition it's very wearing.  I sometimes long to see the world as it is.  You really don't want to live with this disorder.  Drugs can be a temporary lift and for many there's no lasting problems.  However if you're in the minority prone to hppd drugs just aren't worth it.  Just an old fool's opinion.

Edited by MadDoc

21 hours ago, MadDoc said:

I've been thinking about this some.  This morning I was looking out at the spring leaves as they morphed into faces, and designs.  While I've gotten used to living with this  condition it's very wearing.  I sometimes long to see the world as it is.  You really don't want to live with this disorder.  Drugs can be a temporary lift and for many there's no lasting problems.  However if you're in the minority prone to hppd drugs just aren't worth it.  Just an old fool's opinion.

Yeah I don't plan on using shrooms lsd or anything like that ever, just want to be able to smoke weed again one day once all this is long behind me.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
On 5/13/2017 at 10:44 AM, Hppdjake said:

So I got very minor hppd from an acid trip around 8 months ago. After the trip I smoked weed and drank a couple times, then I started noticing static and such in my vision... so I have been clean from all substances for 5 months. The anxiety/ depression is much better, and the visuals are pretty ignorable unless in bad lighting and not very bad. If I continue to be healthy and abstain from drug use, having recently quit nicotine as well, do I still have the possibility of recovering? I've heard plenty of cases of ppl recovering and having visuals go away within 1-2 years and that's what I'm hoping for! Is this a possibility? Hppd is minor and I plan on staying healthy as I am 17 and workout on daily basis 

hi are you still around, how did things go for you?