Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder (HPPD) Support Forum
Cal_HPPD

Can anyone relate to these symptoms? Confirm my diagnosis?

I've had what i believe to be HPPD for about 3 years now, after a slew of mushroom trips around age 15. I cant pinpoint exactly when i started showing symptoms because i feel they came on very subtly and gradually, and after 3 long years, seem to still be worsening. I remember the first thing i noticed was a light visual snow or static fuzziness that i could only see at night or in dark places, then slowly it started becoming more noticeable with time. I would start then seeing the visual snow or static fuzziness during the day time, most noticeably when looking at something solid and with minimal detail, like a wall or a cloudless sky. The trend of it getting worse continued, i would start getting progressively stronger tracer vision, beginning with things like car and street lights at night. As before, over a few months these symptoms began to translate over to during the day time. Now its to the point where i get tracers as simply as slowly running my hand past my eyes, and the visual snow is strong like what you see on a television that isn't getting any signal. The visual snow even forms into psychedelic shapes sometimes, spirals and things that look like your phone screen when there is grease on it. This is most often at night and in the morning when i am tired, but is not limited to that. When i close my eyes all i can see are these weird colorful randomly moving shapes and images. If i do something like read a book or read something on my computer, when i close my eyes i just see randomly occurring letters and numbers, and this lasts for 15 minutes or so. Florescent lights make all the symptoms particularly strong, so you can imagine school was quite difficult.There are halos around almost everything i look at, especially letters and numbers. My memory and ability to think straight and clearly feels like its degenerating. I cant focus on anything, and having ADHD doesn't help aha. I've also dealt with things anxiety and depression and depersonalization and severe migraines so that cant be helping. Ive completely stopped all substances except alcohol, the occasional cigarette and the occasional joint to help deal with the stress. But i used all 3 of these things and more up until about a year ago. none of it was hallucinogenic though

My point of posting this was not to for attention or plead my case on how hard it is to live with. I know there are people on here that have it worse than i do, but i rather just posted this to see if anybody can relate to my experience so far and has dealt with a similar situation. I haven't read many stories of people with HPPD that seems to be progressively getting worse, so i'm just seeing if someone can confirm its HPPD and not something else. I've been to countless doctors across Toronto and most of them have even heard of HPPD, let alone how to treat it haha, so i kind of gave up on the medical route. Ive had brain scans that all came back negative for anything so HPPD seems to be the only thing i have found that matches my symptoms. Its a scary thought thinking about what it might amount to if the symptoms keep exaggerating like they are doing now. Its only been three years so its pretty debilitating thinking about what it might be like after 10...20...years etc if it doesnt stop, as i only just turned 18 aha. This is my first post so any replies or support really helps, thanks.  -Cal

Man, I dunno, sounds like you have some pretty bad symptoms. My HPPD was indescribable the first three to six months it was so bad, but I've gotten much better over the course of 21 months.

There's definitely a lot of stories about people getting progressively worse, so don't feel like you're alone on that front. My first advice would be to stop all drugs -- including caffeine, cigarettes and alcohol -- and see how you feel then. I've noticed an increasing number of cases where people have talked about alcohol making their symptoms worse even after it's exited their system, so I think there's a clear connection there. 

I really firmly believe if your symptoms are getting worse it's because there's something your consuming that's causing them to get worse. Once you abstain from drugs for a while you also might try switching up your diet. I know people get tired of me saying this but eating healthy (eliminating gluten, added sugar, excess dairy, and eating more of a paleo-mediterranean diet) might really help you out. It's worked for me. 

• Upvote 1

>> The visual snow even forms into psychedelic shapes sometimes, spirals  ....

That sound similar to what I deal with.  I agree with K.D. taking a break might be a good idea just to see how you feel after a while.  I noticed similar symptoms when I was using (I was 14) but I continued to use psychedelics for another six years unfortunately.  I wish I had stopped right after the symptoms started.  That was back in the early 70s and nobody had ever heard of HPPD.  We were always afraid of "flashbacks" which never seemed to happen to anyone so I figured that continuing to use wasn't going to have an impact.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By K.cokes
      Ive been accidently dosed like 8 tabs of liquid acid, and stupidly continued "tripping," even after that. So I started noticing a static over my vision, and I thought nothing of it at first. It has gotten much worse, and I haven't taken L.S.D in over a month. It especially gets worse if I'm smoking weed, it literally makes me have acid like visuals. Even without weed I get, tracers, halos around light, I get the pattern formation that forms when you take L, everything looks like it's shifting and melting, my anxiety has gotten progressively worse, I get visual snow, and I have pain behind my eyes sometimes, like a pressure almost, I have really bad after images, pretty much on anything bright, or lit up. Today for example I was driving, and looked at a stop sign when I looked down I saw the stop sign in my vision with my eyes open or closed. Does it ever get better, and is does it mean your brain is ruined?
    • By HPPD-Recovery-Guide
      I apologize to those who have been hurt by this post. 

• By SunsetParkSlope
      I did mescaline two or three times when I was 16 years old but never again.
      No visuals or anything like that, I just had a great times laughing and hanging out with friends without feeling sleepy.
      Recently I tried DMT but no breakthroughs or visuals, everything just got really strange and beautiful.
      Below you will find some interesting things that happend to me while NOT taking any drugs which lead me to want to try DMT at this point in my life.

Strange episode #1
      At the age of 17 I was playing tempest at the Pizzeria, a game I was never really good at, in fact, I was never really good at any video game, but suddenly I was the best Tempest player ever.
      People piled into the Pizzeria and gathered around me because no one had ever been able to play as long as I did.  Everyone was excited for me and talking about it. 
      What I saw as I played the game was that I could easily see some sort of pattern and that the game was no longer a challenge, I had 3 lives, and I saw clearly that I could play forever.
      I became convinced that it must have been a bug in the game software because it was just too easy,  so I asked one of the kids I knew to be a very good player to take over.  As I walked away I heard three explosions.  He did not last a minute.  So it was real.  I felt very strange and I looked into a mirror on the wall and I noticed my pupils were gigantic and my ears were red.
      As I sat down I noticed something else, I felt as I had this increased understanding of everyone around me and a feeling of love for everyone.
      It was like some sort of enlightenment that allowed me to see how people felt inside.
      I stayed there for hours and strangers seemed to be drawn to me and it was so easy to talk to everyone. 
      I went home and the next day I was back to my old self, shitty at video games and just a regular kid.  

Strange episode #2
      At the age of 20 I was laying down at around 1 in the afternoon when I noticed what looked like crop circles in 3-D, no colors, on my wall, as if bulging out of the wall. 
      They started appearing and changing slowly and then picked up an incredible amount of speed, thousands of shapes.
      They disappeared, and then I saw sheep, deer, lamb, and other gentle animals laying next to me. They would appear and disappear all around me and I was not afraid.
      After that, I saw flocks of tiny birds inches from my eyes, they looked the way birds look when they are really high in the sky, there was a fluidity in their motion, but they were right in front of me.
      Next came spiders, coming down from the ceiling and now I was getting scared.  I could not move for all this time until now, and I sat up and the spiders were still there for about 30 seconds and then disappeared.  

Fast forward...I am 51 years old.  Nothing like what I described ever happened again but I definitely had this feeling all my life that there was something within me that I had a glimpse of in the past and that I wanted to experience again.  I have been reading about DMT for about 10 years now and I ordered some.  I took a little bit but no break through and no visuals, I just noticed that things got a little strange. My friend took the same amount and although he smoked it with skepticism (fireworks in your mind he thought) he later told me there is another place he visits, the same place each time he smokes, he sees buildings and beings and he feels he is receiving information. He returns from these experiences telling me he has worried too much about meaningless crap all his life.
      So now I purchased more DMT and a $350 mininail to make sure I do not burn the DMT, I am aiming to have an experience since up to now nothing has really happened for me. All this and today for the first time ever I hear of HPPD and now I am questioning if I should go forward with it as I am a concerned even though it is rare and seems to happen to people who use a lot of LSD and Shrooms.
      Just hoping for some feedback from others.  What did you take that caused HPPD? how much and how often before it affected you?

TL;DR I want to smoke DMT but I am afraid of HPPD.  Has anyone here suffered from HPPD just by smoking DMT a few times and no other drugs?

Thanks!!!!

• By thelostreceptor
      ----- This post is especially important for the Dutch guys out here on the forum -----
      Recently I received a mail from Brijder Jeugd (rehab center) where they tell about a new upcoming research by a neurological department from a medical center about visual snow sufferers, and they're looking for people that want to participe in the research. This could be another opportunity to shred some light on the visual snow and HPPD. The research is targeted for Dutch people but I wouldn't hesitate contacting them in English if you're interested in the research. You can reach them by sending an e-mail to the address below:
      visualsnowonderzoek@lumc.nl
      If you're interested about the medical center, you can visit their website with the link below:
      Leiden University Medical Center
      https://www.lumc.nl/?setlanguage=English

Thanks for your time
      Note: I'm not related to the LUMC in any way

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.