Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)

I remember from the old forum someone used this method and said it cured them to 99% if I can remember correctly.

It has shown to be an effective method for anxiety, this is mainly why I am posting this, my anxiety is pretty bad, I would like to know if anyone here had tried this? If it is anything like going to a psychologist I'm not interested (Not saying they are useless but I find no benefit there and don't really care for their techniques)

I have used "beating the blues"; a computerised CBT course that is available in the UK, Basically, you go in once a week and work through a computer program, and do some 'homework' exercises in between. That was for social anxiety rather than anything directly HPPD related. I found it kind of useful, I gained insight into my thought processes and it gave me a bit of mental space to work with. It surely didn't 'cure me', but was another step along the path. I think I would have got a LOT more out of it if I was talking to an actual human being rather than staring at a computer screen Since then I have decided I am much more suited to person-centred type counselling than to CBT.

In the UK at least, CBT is usually provided by counsellors/therapists rather than psychologists. According to the 'beating the blues' site you should be able to access that through the NHS. You may also be able to get to see a CBT person but will probably have a long wait. Alternatively you could contact MIND or other local mental health charity or community centre, they sometimes offer this service. If you can afford it you could see a private counsellor who does CBT - this can be expensive, but it can be very valuable and IMO a good counsellor is definately good value for money.

http://www.beatingtheblues.co.uk/

http://www.mind.org....nd_in_your_area

I believe this is basicall forcing yourself into uncomfortable situations until you stop feeling anxious. The best thing for me was just getting a job and before you know it you don't have time to be nervous.

I remember when I used to be nervous around ppl, now I'm a total ppl person even with hppd.

if you can be talked out of hppd then maybe it is some sort of conversion disorder (ie hysteria in old money - basically psychologically induced physical and neurological problems.) In which case all our neurological theories to hppd are bollox.

I think it was a chap called wellsey or something like that who seemed to be cured by cbt.

I would suggest CBT would be most useful for dealing with anxiety associated with HPPD - perhaps in an indirect way this could also help with visual issues; as less anxiety associated with visuals could make them less noticeable. I think for dp/dr issues some other form of counselling (person centred/ psychodynamic) or bodywork would probably address this better. That is my experience anyway :)

• 3 months later...

I went to a substance abuse treatment center that was entirely CBT based with no 12 step influence. I will say that after a 2 month stay for inpatient it has decreased my anxiety by 90-something%... And on a side note, my desire to use heroin has gone down at least 80%, and I am honestly serious about both of those numbers. CBT did wonders for me, but it only worked because I was willing to practice some openness, humility, and a willingness to learn. As far as axis II psychological disorders, CBT works wonders... But axis I disorders like Bipolar 1 and 2 (I'm assuming that HPPD would be axis I) seem to be of a physiological nature more than a psychological or personality nature... Axis I disorders have shown improvement through CBT, but they are usually treated by some sort of med. What I am trying to say is that CBT did wonders for my anxiety, depression, dissociation, addiction, etc. However, my actual HPPD symptoms both visual and mental did not improve very much. The mental stuff did clear up a little bit but I think that was due to my decreased anxiety.

If anyone is interested in going to a substance abuse treatment center, PM me... I would be happy to refer you to the place I went to... I'm not necessarily saying it will work out for you, but I've been clean for half a year in a few days and I'm not even just coping or "white-knuckling"... I'm actually enjoying myself most of the time... And if it wasn't for my HPPD I would probably be thriving.