Hallucinating at night

I was riding my bike home today when it got dark and as I'm riding, I'm seeing ghost animals running in my peripheral vision and shadows on the sidewalk that were not my shadows and there was nobody or anything near me. I always see things like shapes and movement in my peripheral vision but this time I was seeing cats and other small creatures. These would disappear after 5 seconds but it was starting to creep me out. Anyone else see things like this in their peripheral vision in the dark or very dim lighted areas ?

I was riding my bike home today when it got dark and as I'm riding, I'm seeing ghost animals running in my peripheral vision and shadows on the sidewalk that were not my shadows and there was nobody or anything near me. I always see things like shapes and movement in my peripheral vision but this time I was seeing cats and other small creatures. These would disappear after 5 seconds but it was starting to creep me out. Anyone else see things like this in their peripheral vision in the dark or very dim lighted areas ?

HPPD tends to push one into 'vigilance mode'.  When the brain is in this mode, its hard to concentrate on detail (such as studying), there is difficulty sleeping, one tends to be anxious, and Ambient Visual Processing (peripheral) is at its peak.  So ones cognitive senses are tuned to detect movement in the peripheral vision and try to interpret what these movements and objects are.