Alcohol's effect on hppd

95 members have voted

1. 1. Has alcohol had any noticable effect on your hppd symptoms

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure

never had a problem with alcohol and HPPD until I discovered this forum. After reading this thread a few months ago my anxiety sky rocketed from hearing

other people's problems when drinking and since then it got worse every time I drank. I have been sober now for two months which I am really proud of myself for

however I wont drink again until I stop being even the slightest bit anxious about it. I am getting much better dealing with the anxiety, though I do miss drinking.

I don't think any of my HPPD symptoms from alcohol where long term related, but for a week or so after it definitely made it worse

drinking is the only thing i do, except now it is not fun all the time, i have to be in the right environment. kind of like how smoking is for most people. but i can't drink too much because my dr kicks in, but at the same time i don't care about it as much because it's like, hey you're drunk, whateverr. one thing i do not like to do is drink before bed, harder to sleep!

• 3 weeks later...

Im in the midst of graduating high school, so lots of celebratory drinking. If I drink and get fairly drunk visuals double the next day. Static thickens, I get slightly depressed, slight anxiety, and just a strange unattached feeling. It usually goes away however by the next day. I just ope there will be a point in time where I can drink worry free again. :(

• 1 month later...
Guest lorenzovonmatterhorn

just wanted to point out that in response to Ludwig's comment me and my brother both have HPPD and we both have Gilbert's syndrome...maybe there is a connection there somehow

• 4 weeks later...

two weeks ago I drank a tiny bit of beer. it had 3% alcohol and I am not exactly sure how much I drank, because it was shared. maybe half a litre of beer, but maybe even less. I did not get a feeling of being drunk, not the tiniest bit!

Then, in the evening (drank it in the afternoon, early evening), when it got dark, I felt a big anxiety, I began to cry for no good reason at all and could not fall asleep. I don't know about my visuals, I was too focused on what's inside of me.

The next week I could hardly sleep. I was really afraid of clsoing my eyes. Not only because of the CEVs (they got more noticeable, they put me in their world and I was more than a watcher), but also because of the dreams which would accompany my sleep. they wren't nightmares, it was way worse. they felt so real, they were grotesk, colourful and vivid. In the morning I did not feel asif I'd sleep.

I tried to sleep as little as possible, because of this panic.

Now it is going away slowly...very slowly

hell, I'll never drink a drop of alcohol again.

Alcohol is the only thing that makes my HPPD disappears when the HPPD symptoms began in my body (6 years ago) I took her fear of alcohol, past 3 years I decided to drink one night and as more taxes being drunk I was better, reached a point that did not notice any symptoms, like the best medicine for this disease ..

Since then, alcohol is the only way to feel good, do not usually drink usually the days of the week do not drink ever, and most weekends, since I'm a DJ and disco lights I do have many hallucinations and it is impossible to work like always need my small dose of rum haha

At times there in one night I drink a bottle of rum (too much alcohol ..) and the next day hangover be brutal, but there have been times when I wake up I have been perfect, with little symptoms, as if the effect of alcohol even further .

I have drunk alcohol for many years and have not noticed any symptoms worsen, indeed, some of them disappeared and an new ones started, but are less troublesome.

A conclusion to which I come, I can not drink alcohol esque on average, if I drink 3 beers and I can not get drunk any worse, can not sleep and I have more severe symptoms ..

Anyway, I hope these words help and forgive my bad English, I am Spanish and do not control very well English.

A greeting.

same for me if i drink up to 5 beers my symptoms seem to dimish.

yesterday i drank 4 beers and one absinthe, a littlw hangover today but absolutly no worsening in symptoms.

so i think alc doesnot have a real impact on my symptoms but i dont drink to the booze because i think that could make symptoms worse.

maybe it does not but i want to avoid the risk.

same for me if i drink up to 5 beers my symptoms seem to dimish.

yesterday i drank 4 beers and one absinthe, a littlw hangover today but absolutly no worsening in symptoms.

so i think alc doesnot have a real impact on my symptoms but i dont drink to the booze because i think that could make symptoms worse.

maybe it does not but i want to avoid the risk.

Hey how does absinthe affect your symptoms? I've heard it's neurotoxic but I don't think there's been much research on it. I've always wanted to try absinthe but I'm scared it'll make visuals worse.

it was normal absithe you can buy in a shop. so the psychodelic effect is to low to make you trip. you have to make your own if you want to trip. but i think in spain you can buy absinthe with more thujon (the psychodelic ingriedient(sp?)).

so no effect on my HPPD but while drinkin it i thought maybe this could act as a low dose trip(i read alot of storys of people where HPPD disappeard after a low dose trip).

maybe i will drink more the next time^^ but i dont beleave that this is gonna changing anything.

but as i said before my symptoms are less noticeable when iam drinking afterimages lasts less than a second dont know why but thats my experience maybe the affect on gaba dunno

I have a bottle fomr Prague with the highest thujon content.... Doesn't affect my hppd or make me trip in any way..... Makes me f**king drunk though!

I drank alot of whiskey and absinth on Saturday and I still feel a bit ill.... I think my time with the hard booze is coming to an end.... Just bottled beer now (It is so hard to stay off the shots though)

Im not the type to drink little and often, once a month or so il go out and drink beer lager n vodka. In pretty large qauntities. At the time i dont notice any worsening of symptoms (unless my anxiety is through the roof anyway). I tend to black out easily though and can be a right obnoxious dick in this mode which is far removed from my 'normal' self. I find it harder to judge this cut off point due to hppd. Next day anxietys worse, dr/trippy feelings waay worse but visuals dont worsen till the day after that.then the delression...lol. probs still worth it though.for the temporary relief it brings n the social aspect.

I have a weird (or perhaps not so weird) experience to report.

Let's rewind to 3 months ago. My hppd and dr were really bad, and I experienced ghosting and my vision was like being drunk (common side effect of DR). I had been sober for 3 months prior (I got this shit from my second dxm trip 2 months before this incident), with only minor improvements (it fluctuated). I had previously stayed away from alcohol, as it was a NMDA receptor antagonist just as DXM was. However, I was at my wit's end with this vuisual shit, the most annoying bit being the constant drunk vision while sober. I figured, fuck it, I'm just gonna drink some alcohol with my friends and see what happens, kind of out of morbid curiosity to see what would happen to my 'drunk vision.' So one night I took about 4-5 shots of Vodka with a buddy. My vision got even more spinny and I spent the entire drunk being anxious about my vision. I went to bed that night scared that I permanently fucked something up. I woke up that morning super anxious and my vision was still pretty spinny. I informed my friend of this, who noted that his vision was still spinny too now that he paid attention to it, and told me that I was just paranoid and paying too close attention to minor details (I now think he was right). That night after experiencing immense anxiety from this I just said fuck it, I'm done worrying, I can't handle stressing out. I enjoyed the rest of my night with family. The next day the spinny vision shit that was pl bothering me was almost completely gone, and I felt free! I began paying less attention to it and eventually it and my dr were like 99% gone (if not completely gone). Since then I have been drinking with my buddies with increasing frequency, and occasianly I still worry (hence me seeking out this thread, I'm considering drinking a bit with friends.)

Anyway, was this proof that this was all in my head (not the ghosting though, I still see that)? Or perhaps there was actually something at work here chemically?

Oh also, having experienced drunk vision as one of my symptoms, sometimes after I drink I worry that the next day I am still drunk. My worst fear is being perma-drunk without alcohol, if that makes any sense. I haven't experienced anything like hat but I just want to make sure that's not possible. And yes, I know the best way to avoid that is to not drink, I'm working on it.

id rather be perma drug than perma high/tripping, im scottish im good at being drunk

You scotts drink like crazy! I thought we drank a lot in the south of the USA. I went to Scotland with school buddies and I was drunk off my ass everywhere I went. Drank a lot of Tennents and scotch, that is for sure.

You scotts drink like crazy! I thought we drank a lot in the south of the USA. I went to Scotland with school buddies and I was drunk off my ass everywhere I went. Drank a lot of Tennents and scotch, that is for sure.

Yeah we can fairly knock back a beverage, where did u visit?

By the time i was 17 i had stomach issues, too much stella and gin. man i fucking love stella

• Upvote 1

The 1st time I went, there were babes everywhere... even the ones working in burger bars and stuff.... But last year, I don't remember seeing any knockout babes, even in rjekiavik... Just fat chicks. 5 years of hotdog munching had taken its toll. It was my honeymoon though, so maybe I was subconciously blocking out the babes.