Alcohol's effect on hppd

95 members have voted

1. 1. Has alcohol had any noticable effect on your hppd symptoms

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure

alcohol is a temporary cure as it wayy reduces anxiety for me however it makes my visuals worse! hangovers are hellllllll so much worse now and my hppd symptoms all came when i was really hungover, about a week after doing shrooms. However i still drink at least once a week (im in uni so we have alot of parties) and i am greatful for alcohol cuz it gives me a temporary break.

alcohol is a temporary cure as it wayy reduces anxiety for me however it makes my visuals worse! hangovers are hellllllll so much worse now and my hppd symptoms all came when i was really hungover, about a week after doing shrooms. However i still drink at least once a week (im in uni so we have alot of parties) and i am greatful for alcohol cuz it gives me a temporary break.

would you say it permanently worsens your symptoms?

Yes man it permanently worsens your symptoms, not to be harsh, but stopping trying to get someone to tell you what you want to hear, i cant tell you how many times ive read about alcohol sending people over the edge into hppd hell, i for one am living proof that it can make EVERY symptom worse.

Never perm did anything to my symptoms and I drank for yrs in the past. During the hang over days though I would sometimes see little rainbows and shit if I had atleast 18. Hangovers are 3x's worse then before hppd. Takes me a whole day to get over one.

I did try to kill myself quit a few times while drinking too much (and been in countless fights that sent others and me to ER.) because of klonopin and just getting depressed. That's why I don't own a gun. I love life but sometimes I get stupid.

I think you should only drink once a week if its for the purpose of "escaping". Cuz yea hangovers suck alot more now and if you drink heavy it's going to affect you for the next day and you dont want to live your life either drunk or hungover and never normal. Alcohol is most likely only going to delay recovery because yes it is definitly not a healthy thing to do, so the less you can do it the better but on the other hand you do have to live a little ;)

I voted yes, drinking(&stress) caused me to re-develop HPPD after my first run in faded away to where I could go a day or two without noticing. They came back much worse and have been persistent for a long while now. I should add I do have a liver problem and hangovers for me became unbarely after a couple years of drinking. All day hangover from two drinks. I'd have shakes, couldnt eat, muscle pain/sorenss, headache, intense visuals, then eventually a simple seizure while hungover at school which brought everything back on. Plus some visual symptoms that aren't recognized by HPPD like frames, monocular double vision etc..

I think alot of this stems from my liver problem and lack of ability to detox neurotoxic substances.. For most here, drinking probably is negligible besides increaded visuals during hangover. But i'd say be careful and stay in control and pay attention to your body.

ludwig that really sucks. If only 2 drinks caused that many problems def sounds like liver problems not hppd causing all the probs.

I know the liver regenerates hopefully if you eat right and exercise you can get your body back in order. I'd ask your doc about milk thistle as well. Alot of ppl that damage there liver from steroids use it.

I just reread your post, all those symptoms are typical alcohol withdrawal (serious one's) symptoms.

I'm surprised my liver and kidneys are still good, all the pills and alcohol over the yrs. I know eventually it will catch up to me so need to not take so many pills. Can care less about drinking unless going out but pills (muscle relaxers, opiates, klonopin mixed with ritalin or concentra) make me forget about hppd. wow I need to go to pill aa lol later

Ludwig that really sucks man im sorry...Ive also had symptoms of frame vision a few times after smoking, and the monocular double vision very slightly as well...is that where each eye sees and the brain doesnt connect the image so you are effectively seeing the world twice? it would happen to me occasionally with specks on the windshield where i would see two of them and percieve them to be separating what each eye saw..it's hard to explain, but i dont mean ghosting...

do your hppd symptoms also include visual hallucinations? dpdr and body pains? any fatigue? have you always had the liver problems btw

I don't have liver problems ( since my last lab) but I have strong visuals most of the complaints (besides static unless tired or high or pitch black room), dp/dr, body pain, muscle cramps, spasms, migraines, fatigue, depression, panic anxiety, tinnitus, plus one eye developed a huge floater that covers a lot of my vision.

Despite all this I love life because of my Wife and family (gotta say something positive lol).

I haven't been myself lately on this board cause my doctor has me on 400mg of tramadol and 32mg of zanaflex daily (life 5 soma)

I get terrible mood swings but I'll get off them soon. If I'm not making too much sense it's cause I just left work and I took 2 percocet for my back pain and hppd shit. Later man!! Stay away from opiates hard to get off..

Ludwig that really sucks man im sorry...Ive also had symptoms of frame vision a few times after smoking, and the monocular double vision very slightly as well...is that where each eye sees and the brain doesnt connect the image so you are effectively seeing the world twice? it would happen to me occasionally with specks on the windshield where i would see two of them and percieve them to be separating what each eye saw..it's hard to explain, but i dont mean ghosting...

do your hppd symptoms also include visual hallucinations? dpdr and body pains? any fatigue? have you always had the liver problems btw

ludwig that really sucks. If only 2 drinks caused that many problems def sounds like liver problems not hppd causing all the probs.

I know the liver regenerates hopefully if you eat right and exercise you can get your body back in order. I'd ask your doc about milk thistle as well. Alot of ppl that damage there liver from steroids use it.

I just reread your post, all those symptoms are typical alcohol withdrawal (serious one's) symptoms.

I'm surprised my liver and kidneys are still good, all the pills and alcohol over the yrs. I know eventually it will catch up to me so need to not take so many pills. Can care less about drinking unless going out but pills (muscle relaxers, opiates, klonopin mixed with ritalin or concentra) make me forget about hppd. wow I need to go to pill aa lol later

Yes Boogres it's strange for sure. Where it overlaps with my astigmatism I have no idea.. Actually that and most other HPPD symtpoms don't bother me after this long. The frames vision is by far the most frustrating. Although I seem to be slightly better than a year ago, so I"m not sure quite yet if I can thank keppra or what. Funny you say you used to get the Frame vision after smoking- me too, before I had HPPD. Only when I was really really high would it happen and it'd fade away a bit. For some reason drinking brought it on and it stayed. Got much worse a year later and then now a year later it's better. I think Keppra may be helping slowly, very slowly. As far as HPPD goes, at one time or another i've had most of the recognized symptoms. Some have gotten better some are the same. Definitely deal with Dp/dr but more so early on when overly terrified and full of anxiety. Less now, at least I don't notice it as much. Fatigue is always been an issue with me. I have zero energy, very little ambition and really am rather apathetic to most things- ketogenic diet helps keep what little energy I have, constant if nothing else. Body pains not so much, just bruxism at night which leads to jaw pain in the morning. Yes, I found out at 18 when I first got HPPD, thourhg a blood test that I also had hereditary liver problem called Gilbert's syndrome since i was born. They told my parents it was asymptomatic(jaundice & elevated billirubin) when I was born so my parents never thought to tell me. I'm convinced it had something to do with how things worked out though.

1998- Ya some symptoms do resemble withdrawals interestingly enough. I can't even begin to tell you had bad hangovers became even after a few drinks. So strange. Until two years ago I had associated all visual increases to panic attacks, wish I had known I was having some kind of seizure problems and causing damage. I didn't want to give up drinking cause of some stupid panic attack. I know better now I guess. I really didn't even drink excessively, average socially engaged college kid i guess. I took milk thistle when I first got HPPD 5 years ago. But my particular liver issue requires something that helps phase two detox(NAC) as opposed to phase one(Milk Thistle). If I remember correctly that is.

• 2 months later...

Doesn't seem to give me long term issues.... but I don't imagine it is do anything to help either, and may be prolonging any chance of recovery.

For me though, it's a price worth paying. Keeping social and having a laugh with my friends, once or twice a week, is worth it.... I do social things without booze too, football and surfing.... but having a few beers with mates is what it's all about.

Like a few people say i don't think alcohol has had any long term adverse effects on my HPPD but the hangovers are a killer!

Pre-HPPD i never got hangover, even when i first got HPPD i never got hangover maybe it was because i was young but as soon as i hit 18/19 BANG, i would wake up feeling like a 80 year old man who's just been head to head with Mike Tyson in a ring.

If i drank a lot of water before going to sleep it would help a lot the next day. I'm talking about 1-2 pints of water before sleeping. You might piss yourself during the night but that's just a chance i'm willing to take! ^_^

• Upvote 1

Never made mine any worse. Im not a regular drinker, however I've addopted the NZ bing drinking culture, so when I dink, I get fucked up! Hangovers are aweful, much worse if I know Ive caused problems the night before, and that seedy feeling that I've had since day one of HPPD is much worse. Anxiety is way worse when Im hungover. But no, no permanent effects.

Sometimes when Im hungover though I get like a clear bubble in my eye, almost like a drip on my eyeball, can be somewhat upsetting worrying that it may not go away, however it always has before.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

before a month or 2 i recieved some peripheric sight while drinking alcohol, now i have a snowy sight, and the last time i drunk the snowy sight went stronger and my field of vision moved up and down like an earthquake, not like a normal dizzy from alcohol when everythings moving in a circle-movement, it was only up and down but so fast and heavy, you know the phenomenon when you swing your head left and right on LSD that the room moves so strange?...it was that feeling just up and down....i also didn´t had to vomit or feeled bad from the alc, so it was clearly my HPPD.