Possible qEEG / Neuro Feedback medical trial

Jay1

2 hours ago, Jay1 said:

Not enough people showed interest.

If we can get 10 people interested, I will get back in touch with him.

I've been a lurker for about a year and a half since I got HPPD (not diagnosed) Only just managed to create and account as every time I tried the confirmation email wouldn't work. Still got the full shebang of symptoms. 

• 2 years later...

Here's a study where they already did this with 44 HPPD patients. I dont know anything about qEEGs or what everything means, all I made out was "disease severity was highly significant". All I can make out is faster alpha frequency(brainwave), and visual evoked response, which has something to do with LSD induced cortical(outer areas of the brain) disinhibition.

Abstract

Hallucinogen persisting perceptual disorder (HPPD) may follow the ingestion of LSD or other hallucinogens in a subset of users. It is characterized by chronic, intermittent or constant visual hallucinations of many sorts persisting beyond the period of acute drug effects. We studied 44 LSD-induced HPPD subjects and 88 matched controls to search for spectral and evoked potential differences using quantitative EEG (qEEG). HPPD subjects demonstrated faster alpha frequency and shorter VER (visual evoked response) latency, consistent with prior animal and human data on response to acute LSD administration which suggest LSD-induced cortical disinhibition. AER (auditory evoked response) latency was prolonged consistent with a differential LSD effect upon visual and auditory systems. The exploratory T-statistic significance probability mapping (T-SPM) technique demonstrated HPPD-control differences mostly involving temporal and left parietal scalp regions, confirmed by a split-half analysis. Significant variables were all derived from the long latency flash VER and click AER. None were derived from spectral analyzed EEG data. Canonical correlation between SPM-derived measures and variables reflecting disease severity was highly significant. A between-group stepwise discriminant analysis based upon a full set of qEEG measures demonstrated 87% prospective classification success by jackknifing and 88% success in a separate split-half analysis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8912957

Heres another. "in HPPD, there is widespread cortical inhibition in the eyes-opened state, but localized and isolated occipital disinhibition upon eye closure, a state known to facilitate hallucinatory experiences."

Abstract

LSD use in certain individuals may result in chronic visual hallucinations, a DSM-IV syndrome known as hallucinogen persisting perception disorder (HPPD). We studied 38 HPPD subjects with a mean of 9.7 years of persistent visual hallucinations and 33 control subjects. Measures of local and medium distance EEG spectral coherence were calculated from all subjects. Coherence, a measure of spectral similarity over time, may estimate cortical coupling. In the eyes-open state in HPPD subjects, widespread reduction of coherence was noted. However, upon eye closure, the occipital region demonstrated augmented regional coherence over many frequencies but with reduced coherence of the occipital region to more distant regions. This occipital coherence increase correlated with previously reported shortened occipital visual evoked potential latency for HPPD subjects. We speculate from coherence and known clinical and psychophysical data that, in HPPD, there is widespread cortical inhibition in the eyes-opened state, but localized and isolated occipital disinhibition upon eye closure, a state known to facilitate hallucinatory experiences. An analogy is drawn to findings in the interictal and ictal epileptic focus. In HPPD, we speculate that occipital EEG hypersynchrony resulting from increased regional coherence, when coupled with relative isolation of visual cortex, especially upon eye closure, facilitates hallucinations and illusions.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11566431

Basically the cerebrum(outer parts of the brain/front back and side) is disinhibitied or overreacting for some reason. Very interesting.

Heres a study that probably rules out the GABA interneurons theory. It doesn't definitively, but leans away from the idea more so.

https://www.jneurosci.org/content/jneuro/20/16/6232.full.pdf

Edited by dasitmane

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...