Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder (HPPD) Support Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tlehmbecker

Question for those who took meds that made symptoms worse

I know that in general, SSRIs, atypical antipsyhotics, and a handful of other drugs often make HPPD worse for most people, but what I've been wondering is the time course it took for symptoms to worsen.

Basically, when it got worse from the meds, how long did it take? Was it instantaneous (day of taking/within hours of taking) or did it take awhile to notice an increase in symptoms (say a couple days to a couple weeks)?

Mainly wondering because my pdoc wants me to try haloperidol, a first generation (typical) antipsychotic since it had some literature support (the 1971 Moskowitz study and A.G. Lerner's clinical review) for treating HPPD and for the fact that I am developing (mild) schizophrenia (I technically am schizophrenic according to the DSM since my mild symptoms persisted for at least 6 months. Also, as a side note, these symptoms were present before I got HPPD, so they may be causing my HPPD or this can be seen as evidence that they're unrelated since the visual symptoms developed spontaneously overnight). I have an appt. with him in just over a week from now, and I want to at least say I've tried it, but I'm sort of afraid to if it's going to make my symptoms worse instantly. I'm not too worried about anxiety and DP/DR since those are pretty much nonexistent right now thanks to clonazepam and lamotrigine (and learning mindfulness and grounding techniques, which I highly recommend if you want to treat your anxiety or DP/DR without meds).

• Upvote 1

As someone who's taken a few meds, lots of vitamins, etc. and has had a worsening of symptoms with virtually everything, I can say it probably takes at least a few days before you'll notice anything. But again, everyone's body chemistry is different and different meds kick in at different times. The important thing to keep in mind is that even if your symptoms do worsen it will only be mildly and the good thing is you can always go off the meds right away if you don't like it.

i never took chemicals from doctors or pharmacies when i had hppd (and still dont do) exept when i was in the hospital for the time of my withdrawl after my hppd started + tramal sometimes afterwards and they all made me always nauseous and made everything including visuals much worse and made me feel really sick to the point i just wanted to die...

but the naturals and vitamins i took have helped me and not just coverd my symptoms i think they are also responsible for the cure of my hppd to a certain degree through long term use.

even though i have no proof what exactly made my hppd go away in the end

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By K.cokes
      Ive been accidently dosed like 8 tabs of liquid acid, and stupidly continued "tripping," even after that. So I started noticing a static over my vision, and I thought nothing of it at first. It has gotten much worse, and I haven't taken L.S.D in over a month. It especially gets worse if I'm smoking weed, it literally makes me have acid like visuals. Even without weed I get, tracers, halos around light, I get the pattern formation that forms when you take L, everything looks like it's shifting and melting, my anxiety has gotten progressively worse, I get visual snow, and I have pain behind my eyes sometimes, like a pressure almost, I have really bad after images, pretty much on anything bright, or lit up. Today for example I was driving, and looked at a stop sign when I looked down I saw the stop sign in my vision with my eyes open or closed. Does it ever get better, and is does it mean your brain is ruined?
    • By Andando
      I have had HPPD for 15 years, 
      I am much better now than when it started, I have tried so many natural and psychological techniques that I feel its the right time to test if certain Medical treatment could work.
      My main symptoms are now anxiety, depression, heavy brainfog, visual snow, problems reading - writing, focusing and depersonalisation sometimes.
      I have found a neurologist in the city of Barcelona where I live, and I will like to ask you guys for a favour before I meet him:
      is there is an order for which meds are to be tried first?
      which meds in your view have been the most successful in treating some symptoms?.is there a page with these things online?
      I tried a low dose of diazepam and the day after my symptoms where very high again so I stopped, same thing with an antidepressant.
      Having said all of this I will like to share some hopeful news too:  I have been fortunate to have had days with almost no symptoms, have traveled extensively, managed to finish my BA in fine arts, lived in various countries, got my drivers license, can now read (even though i get confused sometimes), I can hold conversations much better (less DP), at the beginning of this disorder my life was very very miserable now its a lot better.
      Thank you for reading.

• By justaman
      I took hppd about 2 months ago and ever since I’ve been very aware of what I’m seeing. Like at night when I’m in the car driving, I’m not sure if it’s been there before but street lights or any sort of light kinda has a glare to it, like very shiny and has like a glow to it. I’ve noticed that when I look at the moon. There’s another moon next to it but half of the size, like a glare. I suck at explaining but am I getting hppd or is all this normal? I’ve been stressing over This for a while now and I’m going to a psychologist to get checked out. 

I forgot to mention that I only taken lsd once. I’ve only smoked weed before . 
    • By gabriel
      I came to talk to you about my symptoms a little bit. I'm Brazilian, so if I say something wrong, I apologize, but I'm still not fluent in English.
      About 11 months ago I tried lsd with a friend, after an hour we used weed, and after that I had a very bad trip. Only today I was able to find this forum, because until then I did not even know what I really have. After using lsd, I have never used lsd or weed again. Since then, I have a lot of anxiety, sometimes I feel very depressed, and I really feel some visual effects, such as sensitivity to light, things seem to vibrate a little, and it seems that sometimes I see traces in moving things.
      What makes me bad is that I can never stop thinking about it all, I try to fight against my own mind not to think about it, but it's very difficult, when I realize it, I'm thinking about it. From what I understand I have hppd, but is it normal for me to think about it constantly? Sometimes I think I'm going to go crazy.
      This site was very inspiring to me, until then I was very afraid of what happened to me, and not knowing that there are so many other people with the same problem. So, THANK YOU for making me a little calmer. I will accompany you always now, hoping that I will improve. Thank you.
    • By kühlschrank
      Dear Fellow Hppdler!
      So iam a hppd newbie , i've had it since this march. so roughly 5 Months.
      I actually just want to ask you if my symptoms are Hppd, or pre hppd, PTSD or whatever!
      Symptoms:
      NO visual snow! NO trailing! NO afterimages!
      The only Vision related things are:
      Increase of colour , eg trafficlights
      But somehow only bright colors do increase^^, weird stuff ^^ Normal colors look normal
      My vision got worse, like my general eyesight got worse.

Then i also got DR , but no DP!
      Actually only the derealisation bothers me...
      It got better during the months, but the DR did only slightly decrease.

Do you think this is Hppd?
      Iam not sure about this, i got my hppd from some horrific lsd trip , so may i just have a trip related trauma? and my mind is trying to protect itself from it by going in DR mode?

PS: of couse i stopped ALL drug use since then
      sincerely,
      J

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.