ashwagandha extract

My friend over at gnc who oddly enough does'nt question why a 15 year old kid comes in once a week for random supplements, told me about ashwagandha extract, he said it 10 times better than valerian root and is like a natural xanax. It was $15 bucks for 100 470mg pills. On the internet it listed hundreds of benefits from taking it but most noteable for hppd'ers were anxiety, trouble sleeping, headche/backache, brain fog,reduction of stress related hormones, and preventing the effects of aging. It contains chemicals that calm the brain, reduce swelling,lower blood pressure and alter the immune system. I just took one with a meal, he said you have to take it with a meal or youll feel sick. It is so so calming, its like an opiote or something cause holy shit my snow is reduce by 45% or so and i feel just at peace. You have to try it

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes I have used ashwagandha on and off for a while. Not recently though. I can say that it does indeed have a calming effect. I found that, when going through benzo withdrawals, it would give me good reprieve for the day but followed by an increase in withdrawal symptoms.

Off the top of my head, I believe ash works through gaba neurons and (maybe more importantly) by reducing cortisol release.

all in all I found it to be benign and worth a shot. I used herb pharma ethanol extract. 

• 2 weeks later...

I use Ashwagandha since a few weeks back. Really helps me with both falling asleep and deep sleep, but will probably have to agree with the above statement, slight increase in withdrawal symptoms (I am tapering off Zopiclone currently).

Haven't noticed any change in other HPPD symptoms.