Planning to have an acid experience

Hi,

I should ideally not be posting here. As I don't suffer from HPPD as of now. It's something that I have come across before taking my first acid trip and it's scaring me. Most of you would tell me, to not take my trip. But I think I want to, based on all my readings and the countless documentaries I've watched, I think it does more good than bad. Before I conclude with my question, a little background about me.

I'm not a person who's heavily into drugs or psychedelics. I had a short stint with weed and I'm completely off it now. I have also tripped on mushrooms once, and felt they healed me in a way. I want to break my redundant thought patterns, and discover a newer perspective towards life. I'm in a creative profession so I think finding a newer dimension to life will help me, and heal me of the little problems in life like attention deficitness, low self esteem etc.

I just want a good acid trip, an experience I can cherish for life. I don't plan to do it repeatedly. But I don't want to end with HPPD. Any precautions I can follow?

• Upvote 1

Perhaps the answer is obvious, but perhaps not. Would you recommend trying a psychedelic at a low dosage?    

The only thing I have thought that might guard (somewhat) against HPPD is magnesium. Magnesium is crucial in regulating the flow of calcium ions through the NMDA receptor (a receptor that is important in learning and memory). LSD affects this receptor in a way that is not clear (see this). I have wondered, like some others, if HPPD involves some sort of long term 'memory' being coded in your brain, mediated by this receptor. This is purely speculative and has not been tested, but I think it's a reasonable idea. Magnesium does protect against excitotoxicity, a process whereby calcium ions infiltrate the NMDA receptor at a rate that causes neuron death. This is not a good thing, and is suggested to be an aspect of HPPD. I would want to make sure my brain is protected from the negative effects of glutamate, magnesium being the endogenous administrator for that task :P . I am not a physician though, so do your own reading.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Perhaps you should change your plans.

Since you are 'creative', you should be able to construct 'newer dimensions' without the use of recreational drugs. 

Even without imagination, its a big universe out there to explore ... sometimes reality is stranger than fiction.

There are better was to address "attention deficitness, low self esteem etc.".  Attention deficit in particular may indicate you are in a higher risk group than average

"based on all my readings and the countless documentaries I've watched, I think it does more good than bad".  If LSD does more good than bad, why is it illegal?

Be careful what you read.  People that do things always tend to promote it.  Ask Charles Manson, Hitler, or child molesters.

• Upvote 1

I used to take drugs for very similar reasons to those you listed.... To cover up or change my perceived personality issues, to chase the idea that drugs increased creativity and to seek a generally more interesting and enlightened path. LSD did help with all those things, and, for a time, my life was improved because of it.

BUT

I'm now 19 years into this illness and I can tell you that I would cut off both my arms, take on cancer... hell, i'd go blind if it just meant even 1 year of peace and happiness.  I had to take 3mg of klonopin to get through my wedding day without feeling like I was on a full trip and breaking down with anxiety... Not exactly what most people go through on the "happiest day of your life".

If you do take LSD... stick to the usual guidelines.... Safe place, only with your best and most trusted friends, have a sober sitter (if possible), prepare some relaxing music and settings for if things go downhill. Possibly have some valium or similar on hand to bring you down (someone smarter than me might want to chip in on if that is dangerous). Maybe some inositol or 5htp to help protect the serotonin receptors (is there something similar for dopamine and GABAa receptors?)

As Visual mentioned... Life is the true rush though.... full of creativity, beauty, darkness, fear, laughter, madness.... anything and everything you could find from a drug. Go and find it for yourself rather than taking a shortcut that could ruin your life.

You take your chances with hallucinogens or any mind altering substances... good for you for weighing the pros and cons.  I would say, as previously stated, make sure you take as many safety precautions as you can and get some clean LSD from someone you trust.  I think your chances of developing HPPD are slim with a few acid experiences if you don't have a family history of it.  I am absolutely not condoning it though- for the record.

You may want to consider why you want to do LSD in the first place and consider trying to find those things naturally, like Jay said.  I personally never found any type of insight or personal growth from doing hallucinogens.  I think life provides those things to us when we're ready for them. 

If I could go back I wouldn't do any drugs whatsoever.  Absolutely.  Think about it every day of my life.

@ Jay-   I hear you man... well said.  At least you got to have the experience of getting married.  I feel like that might never be a possibility for me the worse I get.  Keeping the faith though...

I used to take drugs for very similar reasons to those you listed.... To cover up or change my perceived personality issues, to chase the idea that drugs increased creativity and to seek a generally more interesting and enlightened path. LSD did help with all those things, and, for a time, my life was improved because of it.

BUT

I'm now 19 years into this illness and I can tell you that I would cut off both my arms, take on cancer... hell, i'd go blind if it just meant even 1 year of peace and happiness.  I had to take 3mg of klonopin to get through my wedding day without feeling like I was on a full trip and breaking down with anxiety... Not exactly what most people go through on the "happiest day of your life".

If you do take LSD... stick to the usual guidelines.... Safe place, only with your best and most trusted friends, have a sober sitter (if possible), prepare some relaxing music and settings for if things go downhill. Possibly have some valium or similar on hand to bring you down (someone smarter than me might want to chip in on if that is dangerous). Maybe some inositol or 5htp to help protect the serotonin receptors (is there something similar for dopamine and GABAa receptors?)

As Visual mentioned... Life is the true rush though.... full of creativity, beauty, darkness, fear, laughter, madness.... anything and everything you could find from a drug. Go and find it for yourself rather than taking a shortcut that could ruin your life.

Hi jay...I can totally relate to u about ur wedding day!!!!! Although I didn't have hppd back then it was a few weeks after my horrific time in hospital with Iboga and I was still learning about all these new fuked up brain symptoms I also had dp on my wedding day it was totally fuking horrible I just wanted the day to end!!!

Urs sounds fuking awfull too

If?

HPPD is rare and appears from the ABUSE of hallucinogenic drugs, and you can develop HPPD without any drugs at all; then it's called "Visual Snow" for some reason.

See Acid like fire. Treat it with respect and maintain control over it and it will grant you an infinity of revelations and benefits.
But abuse it and you're gonna have a problem, a problem that could spread throughout your whole life and only leave ashes in it's wake.

But that is the nature of reality. My recommendation is yes. Fire has helped humanity see through the darkness since history began.

How?

1. Dose properly. If you wanna stay on the safe side stay to a lower dose, the difference between medicine and poison is the dose.

2. Stay calm. The difference between genius and insanity is that one remains calm throughout his brilliance.

3. Do NOT mix drugs. NO EXCEPTIONS. The difference between stupidity and sanity is that one DOES NOT POUR GASOLINE INTO THE FIRE.

you can develop HPPD without any drugs at all; then it's called "Visual Snow" for some reason.

No, you can't.

You can have visual abnormalities without drugs, but not HPPD.

I hope you've not decided or done the LSD over these past 9 days but if you are still wondering about your chances of acquiring HPPD then don't do it. Chances are much too great that you will come down with HPPD eventually if not right away. If you can be okay with seeing noticeable visuals from time to time then it might not be a completely terrible idea to try LSD to expand your mind but you cannot undo the trip or take anything back besides whatever insight you may be fortunate to find. I personally think it was worth it but my experience might be different than yours and I'm still dealing with mine although mostly positively.

Wolfred89...

There are ways to prevent a "bad trip", such as environment, stress free factors, good and trustworthy friends with tripping experience.

BUT there is no way to prevent HPPD.

HPPD is a neurological mindfuck, and none of us are sure why we developed it, other than the obvious drug use.

Your brain is either going to feel the effects of the drug and then return to normal OR it's going to rewire itself into the drug's effect and not go away.

If you read through this site you will see all the severely negative life-altering effects psychedelics can cause.

While HPPD is very rare, you now understand the risks.

Developing HPPD will cause infinite amounts of psychological issues.

You have been warned.

HPPD is rare and appears from the ABUSE of hallucinogenic drugs, and you can develop HPPD without any drugs at all; then it's called "Visual Snow" for some reason.

3. Do NOT mix drugs. NO EXCEPTIONS. The difference between stupidity and sanity is that one DOES NOT POUR GASOLINE INTO THE FIRE.

While abuse definitely contributes, HPPD can happen from one time.

I've taken a handful of psychedelics before and was totally fine.  Zero visual or DPDR after effects.

1/8th of shrooms and my world was fucked.  Yes, one motherfucking eighth. <_<

Also, about #3 I agree.

I took shrooms, coke, Xanax, weed and alcohol all in one night.  I smoked a few cigs, but I'm not gonna count that.

But... that was when I developed it.

I've mixed a ton of drugs before, but the one time with shrooms was what did it for me.

My HPPD was very reminiscent of shrooms.

One of my closest friends had HPPD, which has now subsided over the past 2 years (he had visuals, DPDR, cognitive issues, the whole fucking sort), but he mixed coke with acid and developed HPPD.

Maybe mixing coke with psychedelics leads to a higher chance of getting HPPD?

• Upvote 1

Hi,

I should ideally not be posting here. As I don't suffer from HPPD as of now. It's something that I have come across before taking my first acid trip and it's scaring me. Most of you would tell me, to not take my trip. But I think I want to, based on all my readings and the countless documentaries I've watched, I think it does more good than bad. Before I conclude with my question, a little background about me.

I'm not a person who's heavily into drugs or psychedelics. I had a short stint with weed and I'm completely off it now. I have also tripped on mushrooms once, and felt they healed me in a way. I want to break my redundant thought patterns, and discover a newer perspective towards life. I'm in a creative profession so I think finding a newer dimension to life will help me, and heal me of the little problems in life like attention deficitness, low self esteem etc.

I just want a good acid trip, an experience I can cherish for life. I don't plan to do it repeatedly. But I don't want to end with HPPD. Any precautions I can follow?

GET HER DONE!! U ARE THE CAPTAIN OF UR OWN SHIP!! THE TITANIC SUNK AND ULTIMATELY HOPEFULLY U WONT B SIPPING AT THE SHALLOW END OF THE DREAM POOL LIKE THE TAINTED PEEPS ON THIS FORUM THAT WOULD chop off their pee-pee to get virtually any duration of relief. Anyhoot don't pollute!! Good luck with ur future endeavors and remember u only have one pee-pee "not like ur nuts" (that can b defined in 2 ways) hence so far.. Make the right choice.. Stay gold pony boy!!

• Upvote 1

No, you can't.

You can have visual abnormalities without drugs, but not HPPD.

The ONLY difference between Visual Snow and HPPD I have found is that you get HPPD from drugs, Visual Snow without. Basically they are identical and should have the same name.

I suppose the history goes like this: Person abuses hallucinogens and gets visual abnormalities, he goes to a doctor which have never heard of it and eventually a new diagnosis is added to the book called "Hallucinogenic persisting perception disorder" to describe the condition.

Another time in another place a person goes to the doctor about visual abnormalities but with no history of drug use, since the doctor can't diagnose HPPD because the criteria of drug use isn't met a new diagnosis is made to describe the condition, called "Visual Snow". While in reality; They are exactly the same phenomenon in the brain.

Drug-induced tinnitus and noise-induced tinnitus is still tinnitus. And the separation of these "2" conditions must be from an error in medical history.

While abuse definitely contributes, HPPD can happen from one time.

I've heard of people getting HPPD from the first trip; however from ALL of the stories I have also heard that it was a bad trip. And in my opinion it's abuse if you take the drug while; You are under the effects of another drug, you are under the after-effects of another drug, you are emotionally unstable or if you take the drug at a bad place and time.

Set, setting and drugs; get these 3 things right and I promise by everything I know that you won't get HPPD.

The brain is a network, and is ruled by either chain-reactions of thoughts and emotions and/or under the stable guidance of your own awareness/your "soul".

Applying stress to the brain releases a chemical chain-reaction throughout your brain and while this is not such a bad thing in the short-term while sober, you yourself NEED to protect your brain while under the influence of psychedelics, as the brain is VERY vulnerable during influence of such a potent drug, and your body will have an INSANELY (Quite literally) hard time keeping everything under control if several different chemicals starts running wild throughout your nervous system at the same time.

Therefore you should neither mix drugs nor make your brain release it's own drugs during the trip; it could and potentially will end with the nerves going hyperactive and creating long-lasting perceptory damages such as HPPD and tinnitus.

The brain is made to be able to handle psychedelics such as DMT. It is however not made to be able to handle LSD, THC, Ethanol, Nicotine, Andrenaline, Cortisol and whatever other chemicals you choose to pump in your veins at the same time during your trip.

Snuffo.... VS is about the least of my concerns.... HPPD is far more than just VS. I can't imagine that a VS sufferer feels like they are tripping every day of their lives. 

On the original topic... I would hate to trip with the idea of hppd on my mind.

For better or for worse... I took lsd before the internet was around and didn't know much about what lsd could do (with the exception of a few urban myths).

The idea of tripping and panicking about whether you might get hppd would be a nightmare, especially if you fell into a bad trip.

SnuffoSoffi,

I've heard of people getting HPPD from the first trip; however from ALL of the stories I have also heard that it was a bad trip. And in my opinion it's abuse if you take the drug while; You are under the effects of another drug, you are under the after-effects of another drug, you are emotionally unstable or if you take the drug at a bad place and time.
Set, setting and drugs; get these 3 things right and I promise by everything I know that you won't get HPPD.

I'm one of those individuals who unfortunately received Hppd from a one time use of LSD and MAGIC MUSHROOMS at the same time.. The trip was unbearable didn't realize what it would be like in such a mind altered state of complete madness. Then I would have never imagined the residue effect that would last a life time from the "Fun time" I was suppose to achieve by doing psychedelics.. It's just unbelievable when I think about it to this vary day..                                                                        I feel there is a lot of different negative responses to the nervous system, pathology of humans, the functionality of the brain receptors, the five sensories, (sight, sound, touch taste and smell) and so forth that get affected on a individual basis that can differ from one human to the next.. I have friends that still do psychedelics to this day and have never developed any symptoms of Hppd what so ever.. So there is definitely two sides to this coin and if we can figure out why JOE can do psychedelics with no side affects and Visual, Jay, SnuffoSoffi, Hppd24years can't??? Then we would be rolling into some great answers instead of Hypothesizing.. 

• Upvote 1

Visual.... The main myth was the "permatrip" where the user never came down.... Similar to HPPD really.

Then there was a myth about someone ingesting 30000 trips while trying to smuggle them.... And being in a permatrip thinking he was an orange

Visual.... The main myth was the "permatrip" where the user never came down.... Similar to HPPD really.

Then there was a myth about someone ingesting 30000 trips while trying to smuggle them.... And being in a permatrip thinking he was an orange

Are u joking?? I mean sensibly no one can take 30,000 hits and come back to reality?? But u know thinking u were an orange wouldn't b to bad.. Lol.. I guess that's y ur calling it a myth..<(not true) though I could c someone trying to smuggle them in from somewhere like they do heroin by swallowing it in a balloon.. Then the balloon tares from ur stomach acid while the contents get absorbed by ur body.. Crazy shit!!

• Upvote 1

Most myths are born out of some kind of reality, I guess.

Another myth I remember was that if you watched pink floyd's The Wall.. While triping... You would go into a perma bad trip

Snuffo.... VS is about the least of my concerns.... HPPD is far more than just VS. I can't imagine that a VS sufferer feels like they are tripping every day of their lives. 

Weird, I can't say that it feels like I'm still tripping, it did for the first month or so, but eventually once DP/DR disappeared, all those "Mind" illusions disappeared and only static on the visual field remained.

From what I remember tripping had a lot of "Trippy effects" (YOU DON'T SAY) and I can say now that I don't experience any of that at all.

For example altered time perception, patterns, "enhancing of distance", morphing of objects, and Ultra HD vision.

For me HPPD seems like the opposite of a trip, like being drunk vs being hungover. You maybe speak some truth about HPPD being the illusion of still tripping, but then HPPD is a psychological disorder, while Visual Snow is a physiological disorder, one can be cured the other can not.

Because if HPPD is described as "Still feeling like you're tripping" then I don't have HPPD.

well... me personally... I don't really buy into the idea of hppd being a singular problem.... The way I see it, I have numerous post-drug issues that all feed into one another. I label it hppd as that is easier... I don't imagine I am alone there.

VS, tracers, after images, depression (gone), anxiety, dp/dr (triply feeling), pain and maybe some kind of mania/bi-polar 

I can't remember the exact definition of what hppd is... Maybe it is just the visual side of it... 

DP/DR is maybe the thing that people here suffer from most though... It certainly is for me... I could live with the visuals, no probs.... I'd even trade in my eyesight for the triply feeling to go.