Seeing faces everywhere

braindamagedbloke

Whats up folks. About three years ago at a music festival I was given some free LSD. Its hard to say no when a pretty girl hands you free drugs. I have tripped (LSD) before said experience about a dozen times but it was always one or two hits at a time mostly relaxing positive experiences. I was told told that these blotters were called "Hoffman doses" and they were at 250 micro grams each. Being a dumbass I chose to not believe the dude slangin considering the fact that it seems that folks overhype the potency of acid doses or at least in my experience. I ate the three hits that were given to me so at this point after I am just going to believe that I ingested 750 mics. Within an hour I realized that I was tripping way harder than expected and at this point I thought to myself whats the worst that can happen? I have a had one harsh imagery while tripping on acid before this trip when I was standing in the dark urinating in an outhouse and I really wanted to imagine in my tripping brain a smiling and frowning face. The concept really amused me so I put all my focus on this and well I saw a red crooked dark looking smiling face stared at me from the hand sanitizer dispenser. At this point in the previous trip I just shook it off and went back to the campsite. So when I took these three hits I thought whats the worse than can happen? I see faces everywhere? Yep sure did. I would close my eyes and see skeleton heads. When I actually started to freak out I went back to the campsite where my buddy was and I thought "well maybe some Molly (MDMA)" would give me a more positive trip. We snorted some and I was told that I just insuffulated 300 milligrams so yeah a hefty amount. The last thing I remember was staring at the fire and the log turned into a monstrous dragon head and when I closed my eyes that same dragon head was there eating my brain. I asked my buddy who suffered from paranoid schizophrenia for some klonipin. I ate three milligrams and drank about 12 beers. When I came too there was this girl who I am going to assume existed who asked me if I was tripping and I said yes but I am coming down which I totally was. She walked me back to my campsite. I dosed around 7pm and this was about twelve hours later at 7am. I drank another beer with her and she walked back to her campsite. I drank another 6 or so beers...I know I just wanted to dumb my mind so I can sleep in the blistering sunny heat it was like 95 degrees f. I took some psilocybin extract the next day and that trip seemed like shwag compared to the trip before. When I got home I noticed that I still saw faces in everything like everything! My buddy and my roomate have both told me that my right eye was twitching for about a month and a half. To this day I still have frame vision like looking at a wall and seeing a light that forms picture frames. I see faces but I know that they are not hallucinations because I know that they are just a goofy perception change. I dunno long story short I am wondering if there are any poor bastards like myself that have the same face seeing perception change..hpppd whatever you wanna call it.

• Upvote 4

That sounds like a hefty ol' trip!

Welcome to the board...

I don't see faces in the way you describe, but I quite frequently think I see faces/figures in my peripheral or when I turn quickly. Must be pretty freaky, so wishing you all the best.

You are referring to 'pseudohallucinations'.

The right eye twitching is interesting.

• Upvote 2

There is a term (which don't remember right now) for seeing faces in places.

Once a doc asked me if I see faces, which I don't.  Thought had schizophrenia in mind.  But is wasn't that.  It is that one HPPD symptom involves the brain trying to see faces in what we look at.

Did you read my post? :P

Sorry, lol.  My reply to the doctor's question was the problem was NOT seing faces, and other things that are there.  Its a very frustrating thorn.  At times I'd even see a person fade away and see what was behind them ... X-ray vision :blink:

There really are Martians ...

Martian_face_viking_cropped.jpg

• Upvote 1

There was another person on hear that said she seen faces in the leaves on the trees which never happens to me..

I see thick blue lines off of virtually everything, light seems to be stretched out off of most objects, lots of tinnitus ringing at its finest, colorful orbs' with crazy spectacular spectrum, lots of after images that make me feel sick and dizzy, a really weird sensation of tiredness and fatigue, in constant immeasurable pain physical, it's extremely hard to keep my sanity on a leash to say the least. This disease is so wrong and most doctors that I see look at me like I'm a extraterrestrial being from Martin Mars..

My recommendation to u stay full clear of psychedelic, ,psychoactive, psychological mind alteratind drugs budz.. Trust..

• Upvote 1

Yeah I have done shrooms twice and rolled a few times after and had positive experiences but I am done toking it just makes the symptoms worse. It was terrifying the first two years but now its not too disturbing. I have not been too a doctor for health insurance reasons. I can totally relate to hppd24years on the blotches of blue. I cannot go back in time so I probably will just deal with it

Dam, i forgot about the morphing on things i look at from a marginal distance.. Usually objects morph into animals.

u know when I had a bad trip on shrooms laced with lsd I never hallucinated with these colors and morphs or tinnitus how is that?? I'm straight now, y am I still tripping 24 years later??

• 2 weeks later...

I see faces in geometric patterns, like for example my soap dispenser has a pretty design on it but when I look at it, it shaped to a lion head. It's weird and I've noticed it for a lot more things. I can see faces in the sidewalk, especially hardwood floors. Hardwood floors for me are a real trip. really anywhere with a weird pattern. I just ignore them. It's really helped me with my art though since I can sense where a face should be and stuff ;p

I see faces in patterns a lot. But thats because I constantly look for them when looking at patterns i find interesting. Kinda like making shapes out of clouds. I never thought about it being HPPD related, though. Perhaps just a coincidence.

Pariedolia  is fairly normal. I can get it so extreme sometimes that a toilet will seem to have an "expression" or personality....same with cars, house etc. Any arrangement of objects in my field of vison can spontaneously take on a facial expression w/ a personality...usually goofy looking....for example if I got a fast food meal on a tray the hamburger could look like the mouth with the meat patties being the tongue sticking out and the other items on the tray appear to be other part of a face.....its really strange but I believe that to be an extreme

U kno I have came to the conclusion that hpps exaggerates all the normal stuff in our sensors by making them super sensitive and ambitiously acute. Like when u look at a bright light and look away you will see the reflex of it for 30 seconds or more which is normal. I feel with hppd when looking at something not so bright or as long u get the reflex much easier because of the super sensitivity to the sight sensory causing a trail, streamer, ghostly gloom or after image. Same thing with tinnitus the hearing is acute so when ur outside or working all day u are subjected to constant noise and when u come into a quite zone the ringing takes place from a kind of reflex respond from the noise. Now if a non hppder goes to a concert and listens to the loud music then goes home to bed usually their ears will ring too which is normal and again I relate it to a reflex from the loud music.

If we could figure out what exact components are responsible in our sensorial anatomy for the reflex or response to these exposures that are completely highlighted then we might get more specific than pacific. Hppd24years.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I see faces to mostly in soccerfielfds when i am playing soccergame buth in the past i saw differents shapes and animals when i was looking to clouds it was fun buth now its scarry because its like it linked to my last bad trip

This was my first major symptom, over two decades ago.  Faces everywhere but worst in trees.  Wood paneling, plaster walls and clouds were terrible to look at as well (try avoiding plaster walls, trees and clouds for a day).  Needless to say it freaked me good.  Interestingly and luckily - and hopefully in your case - this phase disappeared over time (a few years) and now what remains is bad static, tracers and after-images.  For some reason, during this time, it seemed to help to say to myself what you have stated "this is only a perceptual thing" etc.  Have some hope that this particular symptom (as well as all others according to some - I have not been so lucky) will likely disappear.  

This makes a lot of sense neurologically.  A large portion of our brains are devoted to facial recognition.  This has helped humans evolve socially.  Disinhibition and over-activity seem to be the name of the game with HPPD so maybe this region is amped-up as well. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I've been getting this to an increasing degree. I've found it worrying since it's something one would generally associate with psychosis. It appears to me the line between HPPD and psychosis can be quite blurred - indeed, many here talk about psychotic episodes when they've been on drugs.

Have any of you guys had genuine auditory/visual hallucinations from HPPD aside from this face sensation?