'THE HPPD Stack' - let's create one

Ughh I have to get to compiling some of this information in a more organized manner - I've just been rather busy lately on top of trying a bunch of different things. Additionally, I just registered for some courses via edx.org to earn some verified certificates in biology/chemistry.

Nonetheless, I found some interesting information on aspirin and minocycline:

Is aspirin useful in patients on lithium? A pharmacoepidemiological study related to bipolar disorder

Minocycline and aspirin in the treatment of bipolar depression: a protocol for a proof-of-concept, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, 2×2 clinical trial

Minocycline as Adjunctive Therapy for Schizophrenia: An Open-Label Study

Another study on Minocycline for Schizophrenia.

Neuroprotection in Huntington's disease: a 2-year study on minocycline

I plan on running some labs when I get the money (perhaps in the next month) - I'm not sure what I should purchase in order to determine if minocycline would be warranted in my case (it's an antibiotic, but a seemingly well tolerated one with anti-psychotic, anti-aggressive, anxiolytic effects). For me, in terms of meds, currently minocycline, T4+T3, clonazepam, buspirone+melatonin, progesterone, and DHEA all seem viable. I'm going to try Coluracetam again tomorrow, too. I'm interested in seeing if I can combine coluracetam+etizolam...

Yeah I will proceed with caution... if I go this route. I'm currently taking Aspirin due to its effects on the mitochondria (it affects enzymes that can increase T3 production, and T3 has been known to increase the amount of mitochondria), myelinogenesis, and lastly, glutamate excitotoxicity protection. I believe it may be decreasing my serotonin, though (it can do this), so I'm going to experiment with decreasing the amount I use, decreasing the frequency of use, or maybe taking some 5-HTP or something. 

There are actually a lot of studies showing minocycline has potent anti-psychotic/hallucinogenesis/anxiety properties, but I'm just not too interested in taking antibiotics; but if I have to I will. 

Resistant starch consumption is another interesting therapeutic modality. It can increase serotonin, dopamine, and endocrine hormones. It has also been shown to lead to proliferation of NMDAr's. Lastly, there is this paper: Molecular hydrogen: an overview of its neurobiological effects and therapeutic potential for bipolar disorder and schizophrenia

The gut microbiome produces molecular hydrogen from food. I believe resistant starch can increase its production.

Rather than just shooting in the dark from here on out, as I've stated I'd do before but never got around to doing, I'll be ordering some labs soon. I think the most relevant ones to me would probably be an extensive neurotransmitter test followed by an equally extensive amino acid test; you can get these via DirectLabs. The in depth ones don't only show things such as dopamine and serotonin, but 5-HIAA, glycine, taurine, DOPAC, and more. Definitely useful for those of us with severe HPPD/co-morbid disorders. I'm also going to get a magnesium test, either RBC or EXA, and from there start supplementing more obscure forms of magnesium, namely magnesium bicarbonate (which in various patents hsa been shown to have some unique effects) and pico-ionic magnesium. 

• 4 weeks later...

Let me know how that reacts to ur hppd negative or positively.. It seems like a natural holistic way for figuring out serotonin and dopamine increases naturally.. Thanks..

There are food based sources of serotonin, too; I may experiment with this (though I don't want too much serotonin, either): Phytoserotonin A review

It also appears that tocotrienols, the unsaturated isoforms of vitamin E, protect against glutamate-induced neuronal damage:

Molecular Basis of Vitamin E Action

TOCOTRIENOL MODULATES 12-LIPOXYGENASE, A KEY MEDIATOR OF GLUTAMATE-INDUCED NEURODEGENERATION

Characterization of the potent neuroprotective properties of the natural vitamin E α-tocotrienol

Nanomolar vitamin E α-tocotrienol inhibits glutamate-induced activation of phospholipase A2 and causes neuroprotection

Vitamin E sensitive genes in the developing rat fetal brain: a high-density oligonucleotide microarray analysis

This is interesting, because I just added some organic red palm oil to my diet and have already noticed some decent effects with a low dose.

There are food based sources of serotonin, too; I may experiment with this (though I don't want too much serotonin, either): Phytoserotonin [/size]A review[/size]

It also appears that tocotrienols, the unsaturated isoforms of vitamin E, protect against glutamate-induced neuronal damage:[/size]

Molecular Basis of Vitamin E Action

TOCOTRIENOL MODULATES 12-LIPOXYGENASE, A KEY MEDIATOR OF GLUTAMATE-INDUCED NEURODEGENERATION

Characterization of the potent neuroprotective properties of the natural vitamin E α-tocotrienol

Nanomolar vitamin E α-tocotrienol inhibits glutamate-induced activation of phospholipase A2 and causes neuroprotection

Vitamin E sensitive genes in the developing rat fetal brain: a high-density oligonucleotide microarray analysis

This is interesting, because I just added some organic red palm oil to my diet and have already noticed some decent effects with a low dose.

Organic red palm oil?? What decent effects did u notice??

Yeah organic red palm oil. Interestingly, I found some papers that, although the researchers didn't state this, made red palm olein look better. Within 2 days (this will be my third day using it) my skin and hair was already 'softer' and the minor acne I get if I eat a tonnn of cheese at once was already receding. Furthermore, I just felt a bit more clear headed. I haven't been using a lot nor have I been using it for long, so I'm pretty interested in seeing how it makes me feel over the course of, say, 30 days. Also trying to increase my MCT consumption. The other week I was consuming like 3tbsp of caprylic acid/day along with the occasional coconut oil and feeling pretty awesome. I still have some left over AND just received a gallon of coconut oil and a gallon of MCT oil. My goal is to get around 2-4tbsp/day of mct oil, along with as many tbsp's of coconut oil as I can, along with 1 or so tbsp's of palm oil. 

Next food based products up are potato starch, plantain starch, and plantain peels (in a smoothie?). 

"Looking to the future, new therapeutic approaches are needed, as well as better evidence for the effectiveness or otherwise of existing treatments. Improved ways of measuring hallucinations will make it easier to track treatment response, while better understandings of the mechanisms which underlie hallucinations may open up new treatment avenues. In this regard, neuroimaging, neurophysiological and neuropathological/neurochemical studies have begun to provide powerful insights in the etiology of visual hallucinations [67–71]. For example, postmortem and neuroimaging studies in LBD patients have found that alterations in both nicotinic and muscarinic receptors are associated with visual hallucinations [45,71]. New pharmacological agents that target these receptor systems may therefore be useful future treatments. The serotoninergic system may also be a viable target; serotoninergic receptor dysfunction has been reported in Lewy body diseases [72,73] and it is well-established that activation of this system occurs with, for example, hallucinogens such as lysergic acid diethylamide. Agents that influence this system have been tried in PD-associated psychosis and include ondasetron (a 5-HT3 antagonist) [74] and pimavanserin (selective 5-HT2A receptor inverse agonist) [75], both of which have been reported to possibly improve visual hallucinations. However, the ondasetron study was only reported in a small cohort and positive effects were not observed in a subsequent study [76], similarly the beneficial effect of pimavanserin was not observed in a subsequent larger Phase III trial.

Other compounds may ameliorate visual hallucinations in LBD; a case report suggested ramelteon (selective MT1/MT2 melatonin receptor agonist) [77] was of benefit in two LBD patients and an open-label study found that yokukansan, a traditional Japanese medicine, reduced the occurrence of neuropsychiatric symptoms, including visual hallucinations in dementia with Lewy bodies patients [78]. Further work is needed to validate these findings."

Found in a paper in the journal of Future Neurology. 

I know for the most part HPPD visuals aren't considered hallucinations (in the traditional sense), but perhaps our visuals (which are I suppose "psuedohallucinations) can still be treated with these or similar compounds. I've heard other good things about ondasetron - many people who follow Dr. Peat have used it, and Steve Fowkes and others have written about it in their books and blogs about smart drugs. 

• Upvote 1

I'm thoroughly checking out these agonists and antagonists receptors and pharmas that stimulate them.

Kind of a virgin with conventional drugs just learning.

Have u heard of lamictal? I understand it's a anti epileptic, bipolar, manic depression medication which can be used for hppd. Lamotrigine (lamictal xR) extended release O.D.T is apparently for older people and helps with hallucinations. Some side affects including death which I can't help to ignore scares the shit out of me.. What's ur opinion??

Oh by the way u always seem to amaze me with ur intense research.. I'm impressed..

• 2 weeks later...
I had this idea for a stack: Magnesium L-threonate, gluathione, NAC, piracetam. I am too tired to elaborate right now but hopefully you’ll catch my gist. The basic idea is to attenuate the glutamate system as well as provide some cognitive enhancements, MgT and Piracetam being the main factors in the last point. Gluathione and NAC synergise well, as NAC is a precursor for gluathione, and is a more effective way of getting gluathione (powerful antioxidant) into the nervous system (due to it’s affinity for the NMDA receptor, but for other reasons too, I think). Piracetam IIRC can modulate calcium channels and (thus?) has success in mitigating epilepsy symptoms; it is a cyclic derivative of GABA, thought perhaps to be responsible for some of it's effects. No direct dopaminergic implications for this stack, but is intended to be quite specific (glutamatergic). MgT experimentally upregulates NMDAR’s (only been done in mice I think). I would need to do more research, but potentially I could see these stacking well together and for HPPD; that is the intention with this ’stack’ business-try and find a minimal amount of substances that work well together (synergise) for a purpose. There is also some anecdotal success with these substances alone in HPPD on the forums. Piracetam is the wildcard here. Let me know what you think.. studies to come. 

Edit: perhaps oxaloacetate and pyruvate would be good additions?

• 4 weeks later...

Uridine has anecdotally been associated with tinnitus. Taking uridine (for a few weeks) coincided with much increased tinnitus for myself which took ages to go away again after stopping uridine (although my tinnitus is now very minor again, I'm not sure it every returned to baseline). Other than that I noticed nothing from it.

Rhodiola rosea increases serotonin. This was the first supplement I ever took and coincided with 'pre HPPD' turning into standard HPPD. I took it before fully informed about HPPD because I was feeling fatigued and struggling to study. I think my brain was in the process of going completely haywire when I took it.

Of course these can be coincidences, but need be mentioned nonetheless. I personally think uridine was more likely to have a negative effect on myself than rhodiola rosea.

• 10 months later...

Whats up with everybody, did the thread die? Some good job done here with the researches. We should keep it up..

Apart from research did anybody try any strange substances of those mentioned so far? (im talkin about those rare ones, not the usual stuff like vitamins, magnesium or keppra etc.)

Rhodiola rosea increases serotonin. This was the first supplement I ever took and coincided with 'pre HPPD' turning into standard HPPD. I took it before fully informed about HPPD because I was feeling fatigued and struggling to study. I think my brain was in the process of going completely haywire when I took it.

Same thing with me and Rhodiola.

I'll now summarize what is relevant in the ketone ester diet, and make it much shorter than that^ mass of text, haha (sorry!).

This study used two groups of rodents, one of which was fed ketone esters (KET) along with a slightly reduced carbohydrate diet (but there were still carbs in the diet coming from corn starch and sucrose); it contained BHB and a ketone precursor "®-1,3-butanediol)". To keep things simple - the rodents ingesting the KET diet showed decreased levels of anxiety, "superior cognitive performance" such as increased working memory, 'reverse' memory, etc, and they displayed less AB accumulation and Tau formation. 

You can view the graphs and such in the study and the differences were significant for the most part. I believe this could be helpful to us firstly because of the anxiolysis, but then again, some of us (myself included) could benefit largely from increases in general cognitive performance. I plan on learning more about this but right now I'm going to attempt:

• gradually increase coconut oil consumption
  • gradually increase mct oil consumption (currently only taking a tbsp or so/day due to funds)
  • experiment with caprylic acid (one of two fatty acids typically in mct oil, potentially creates more ketones and/or directly affects brain functioning more)
  • experiment with different fasting protocols - bulletproof intermittent fasting, weekly ketogenic fasts, protein sparing modified fasts, IF, ADF, etc.

I occasionally intermittently fast and have found it quite useful.

I found a good home made experiment book on fasting.  This guy tried different protocols (1 day of 24h fast a week, 2 days of 24h fasting a week and "8h eating frame/16h fast everyday, which is what im doing now). He did each protocol for a month or more. In the report he concluded he can do one 24h fast a week with a good result however when he does 2 of them a week, he becomes obsessed with food the rest of the time - that happened to me too a bit when was doing it. Maybe it needs more time getting used to it.. Maybe the benefits are worth the obsession . ;p I have done 2 days a week for a month or two. It feels good, but I didn't notice any longterm effects. Want to try it again anyway, cause its meant to be healthy as fuck. What about you guys?

I thought I would share this tip with those willing to do intermittent fasting.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fu3uamfsh2lxwkr/202534335-IntermittentFasting.pdf?dl=0

I also did 2 weeks of water fasting - no food, juices, nothing. It was dragging for ages, i was out of energy, however I had some good few moments of mental clarity especially at second week and for few days after I finished the fast. Nothing long term unfortunately. I wanna repeat it in future though.

Hope this thread will come back to live!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acamprosate looks interesting, have a read.

I found it in this book "Tinnitus: Pathophysiology and Treatment" (google e-book). One section's title is "treating tinnitus with acamprosate".

Check out the the content list -> "Treatments". It looks like there is a lot of interesting info/different treatments in the book and Im sure some of them could relate to other HPPD symptoms.

http://books.google.com.br/books?id=XydUtbVHtdEC&pg=PR5&hl=pl&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

if the link doesn't work, try this http://books.google.com.br/books/about/Tinnitus_Pathophysiology_and_Treatment.html?id=XydUtbVHtdEC&redir_esc=y

any thoughts

• 5 weeks later...

ive just done a week fast, only non-caloric fluids and electrolytes, ie water, black coffee, lemon juice, salt.  Finished yesterday. I feel fine after only 4 hours sleep, but doubt it will last.  I wonder how to maintain it - perhaps some gut cleaning stuff like bentonite or probiotics?

Try eating healthy - some high fat low carb diet (ketogenic) is good for your brain. do use some good probiotics - they can't do harm.

You can continue to do intermittent fasting by eating only in an 8 hour frame window everyday (16h of fast then) - apparently that can put you in ketosis everyday, which is good for the brain. For me eating carbs especially a lot of carbs - makes me lazy to go excercise etc. let us know of the effects of hwatever you end up doing. goo dluck!