n-acetyl cysteine

Users of the old forum may remember me recommending this stuff. It has two effects that seem to be relevant. Firstly it modulates nmda glutamate receptors (whatever the funk that means), secondly it increases levels of glutathione, which is often depleted in mental illnesses. Glutathione is the body's main indigenous antioxidant and detoxificant, removing various pollutants such as heavy metals, various organic chemicals (including acetaldehyde from alcohol metabolism, chlamydia) etc. Whatever the action, the result is pretty spectacular. No more anxiety or feeling i'm going to fall out of my body. Cleared up brain fog and feel physically stronger. Worked quickly. Did not affect visuals or tightness around head. Acetyl cysteine has been used experimentally to treat schizophrenia, OCD, chronic fatigue, manic depression and other mental/neurotic conditions, as well as a load of other stuff. It is a cheap supplement available from body building stores like Bulk Powders and MyProtein in the uk, or in more expensive pill form from health food shops like holland and barret. People with excessively compromised detox systems may suffer a herxheimer reaction, so just reduce dose if this happens. Effect is enhanced with alpha lipoic acid. High dose vitamin d is good, tho less necessary with a low carb diet, which i also recommend, with lots of fibrous veg. The effect of aerobic exercise is also remarkable in improving the quality of life.

hope this helps someone.

Users of the old forum may remember me recommending this stuff. It has two effects that seem to be relevant. Firstly it modulates nmda glutamate receptors (whatever the funk that means), secondly it increases levels of glutathione, which is often depleted in mental illnesses. Glutathione is the body's main indigenous antioxidant and detoxificant, removing various pollutants such as heavy metals, various organic chemicals (including acetaldehyde from alcohol metabolism, chlamydia) etc. Whatever the action, the result is pretty spectacular. No more anxiety or feeling i'm going to fall out of my body. Cleared up brain fog and feel physically stronger. Worked quickly. Did not affect visuals or tightness around head. Acetyl cysteine has been used experimentally to treat schizophrenia, OCD, chronic fatigue, manic depression and other mental/neurotic conditions, as well as a load of other stuff. It is a cheap supplement available from body building stores like Bulk Powders and MyProtein in the uk, or in more expensive pill form from health food shops like holland and barret. People with excessively compromised detox systems may suffer a herxheimer reaction, so just reduce dose if this happens. Effect is enhanced with alpha lipoic acid. High dose vitamin d is good, tho less necessary with a low carb diet, which i also recommend, with lots of fibrous veg. The effect of aerobic exercise is also remarkable in improving the quality of life.

hope this helps someone.

Good to see ya back around Brendan. I think you and I spoke quite a bit on the old forum involving detoxing and theories around it. I still believe detoxing is huge as well candida diet. I forgot my old name somehow, memory is not great. but i remember you recommending NAC to me cause of my poor liver functioning. Glad it's making a difference for you! I need to order some more actually.

Thanks for this information brendan.. I'm going to order some nac and lipoic acid, can you recommend a dosage on both supplements?

I remember an old post of yours saying you were experimenting with nootropics, was it these two that you found best then?

I ordered a brain supplement from the US called craniac xtreme, it looks similar to an old one called peracetam (i think), I saw a guy saying this helped him recover to a degree.

Craniac x has nac, ginkgo biloba, ginseng and a few other ingredients in.. will see how it goes and write up here if I get anything positive from it

haha ya, woah.. I don't know why I couldn't remember that! I knew it was one of my instruments!

maybe nac improves memory too! Nice guitar btw.

Piper - i use a 2ml scoop that you get from the sports powder places. This is about 700mg. Most pills are 600mg. So a maintenance dose of a scoop a day, plus If i am boozing i up it to 3 or 4 scoops x once or twice a night. Internet hearsay suggests using 1-4 times as much vitamin c with nac to keep glutathione in deoxidised form. Most ala pills are 200mg, but again i just use a scoop whenever i feel the nac isnt working its magic. Ala doesnt dissolve but i put it in water as a suspension and knock it back with a load of water, cos it feels quite peppery. Or put it in food.

Also use chaparral tincture (from homeopath.it if youre in uk) - just a pipette full whenever i feel like it.

• 1 month later...

has there been any negative things about this? i mean why is everyone not using it if it helps that much. i got some coming in tomorrow hopefully because my klono just is not working yet. or its not working anymore on this dosage. i hope its just not working yet and still stabilizing even though its been like 2 months. anxiety is almost unbearable.

i think some people can have a bad stomach from it. If you are taking it in pill form make sure you take it right down cos if it gets stuck youll get bad heart burn. It is unlikely to be allergy, but could be herxheimer. Like what visual says, reduce your dose to one that has no side effects then build up slowly. Also, take it with food, not on empty stomach.

• 2 years later...

Hey...I'm interested to try NAC...I'm looking for something that will help with ocd and a crazy hppd mind ...I have to stop taking lamictal coz it seems to be making my visuals worse...but the upside is it rlly fuking puts a hault on all those fuked up thoughts and fast mind from having hppd.

Has it made visuals worse for anyone ?