Body Temperature and Visual Symptoms

21 members have voted

1. 1. Has anyone notice a change in their symptoms based on body temperature?

• Yes
    • No

Various things can alter body temperature: sauna, long hot bath, nasty hot weather, cold weather (hypothermia), fever, …

I ask because my visual symptoms are change this way. Most dramatic is when fighting a cold. Sometime temp is a degree lower and vision is more sluggish.

However, during a fever, vision speeds up – lock step with body temp. At 102°F or more, vision is normal – quick, smooth, depth perception good, natural, eyes feel relaxed. Of course the rest of me feels like crap and this isn’t a practical treatment modality.

It is well understood that body temperature affects nerve conduction. While velocity remains relatively constant, amplitude is reduce as temperature increase.

Appreciate your input...

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for you post. I never saw the old forum (newbie here) and am truly surprised to see so many vote that temperature DOES change their symptoms.

Perhaps I should modify the poll to include more options - such as "it gets worse" or "it gets better" -- Any ideas here?

perhaps amplitude is of some significance Visual!

Thank you for you post. I never saw the old forum (newbie here) and am truly surprised to see so many vote that temperature DOES change their symptoms.

Perhaps I should modify the poll to include more options - such as "it gets worse" or "it gets better" -- Any ideas here?

• 3 years later...

Hey, may have figured what is going on here!

It has been puzzling that fever > 102°F corrects my vision. Yet making body temp higher by sitting in a hot sauna or tub does not improve vision. This discrepancy discredits the idea that reduced nerve pulse amplitude (a problem suffered by people with multiple sclerosis) is involved with HPPD.

Apparently, D2 is a signaler to lower body temperature (hypothermic). [ Google: dopamine D2 temperature ]

Recently began working with Cabergoline - a strong D2 agonist (increases action on D2 receptors). This significantly improves my vision though not as well as being sick with fever. Current hypothesis is that at some point during sickness, the brain is trying to upregulate D2 action to lower fever. This relation may be more complex but as D2 is hypothermic, the connection is there.

Perhaps knowing whether a person has visual improvement based on fever would be an indicator whether they would respond to dopamine medicine or not.

• 2 months later...