We've talked about this before, but those are unusually small dosages. My GP was doubtful that even 15mg TID would be sufficient for dealing with the anxiety that I was experiencing at the time that it was prescribed. 5mg is equivalent to ~2.5mg diazepam, generally considered a very, very low dose.

Are you sure that it is the oxazepam you are reacting to, and not some sort of anxiety or placebo reaction?

That being said: sometimes with benzos, I feel more "intoxicated" from a smaller dose, perhaps because larger doses reduce my anxiety about "being on a drug". I obsess less about how I'm feeling at larger doses.

Yes I know. I'm absolutely sure this is not a placebo. I just seem to be very susceptible to benzo's? I remember I once took a Diazepam (didn't know anything about pharmacology back then, nor payed attention to dosage, but it was a little blue pill) and I was totally out of it for an entire day, and this was before HPPD. I was looking for a backpack in a shopping mall, and apparently I ended up walking into the same store twice asking for a backpack. I wasn't even looking for psychoactive effects then, because I told someone I had back-pain, and he just gave me the pill and said "Take this".

I'm not so much obsessing about it as I was when I just took it (thoughts like: "this is probably a very bad idea taking Damiana, Keppra, and Oxazepam together").
But for the past hours I've just been writing in my journal about other things, not really paying attention to effects that much. It was only when I put my pen down I noticed how sedated I felt.

Strange though.. Perhaps you have an unusually high tolerance instead? :P Probably not.. well I guess Oxazepam (or any benzo for that matter) is just not for me.

Strange though.. Perhaps you have an unusually high tolerance instead? :P Probably not.. 

Don't think so. I took the dose that my GP recommended, and if you search around, I think you'll find that 15mg oxazepam is a pretty standard dose for benzo naive persons (even 20mg is not that unusual, corresponding roughly to 10mg diazepam or 0.5mg alprazolam/clonazepam. Not high doses :) )

I suppose so.. not my cup of tea it would appear, though out of all benzos I still tolerate oxazepam the best. Perhaps next time I'll try it in combination with 100mgs Modafinil.. Should be quite the effective combo I suppose: oxazepam mitigating the anxiety from modafinil, and modafinil mitigating the sedation/fog of oxazepam.
Phenibut, on the other hand, I could tolerate quite well, though higher dosages sometimes gave me sedation and pretty severe motor impairment. Anyway, thanks for the reply :)

Slightly.. Tolerable though. A cup of coffee is far, far worse. I just tend to "hyperfocus" and "overshoot my thoughts" on Modafinil. It speeds things up a little, rather than improve cognition. Though it does the latter quite decently too. Feels a bit forceful so to speak, though I did like the improvement in working memory. Though now I think of it; when I tried Moda it was in my first few months of HPPD, and I had much more anxiety than I have now, so perhaps it could be useful. Maybe next time I'm feeling fogged out, I'll try 50mg's without anything else and see where that leads me.

• Upvote 1

Neem dan rivotril als je wilt dat een benzo verlichting brengt. Oxazepam is meer voor in het vliegtuig

Please stick to English if at all possible. That way we can all benefit from your advice! :)

I'll translate: "Take Clonazepam instead if you want a benzo to bring alleviation. Oxazepam is more for in the airplane." ... reminds me of the days where I used to fly high :)

I have no access to Clonazepam. Or at least.. would require some effort. Also I just don't want to I suppose. I use benzos for short-term relief, if I use them at all.

Clonazepam is long-lasting if I'm not mistaken? Moreover, if I've such a sedating effect from Oxazepam already; I fear taking a Clonazepam would not only bring upon a longer duration of said sedation, but most likely I'll also be either drooling on the floor or passed out. Not really any scientific reasoning there, but it just doesn't seem the best idea to try a stronger benzo if a "light" already had such a negative impact on me. But thanks for the advice nonetheless :)

oxazepam works different then rivotril, rivotril takes away CEV's, alot of anxiety and will make you more "social" at least, that was for me.

On the other side, it maade me depressed and soo tired that i decided to quit them after 1 year. Now i am on 0.25 only for the night to sleep. 

Problem is i am very restless and irritated all day now, and my close people say i have changed. I know what its from :)

I still have visuals and a bad case of DP. I must say DR is low atm, might be because of the lamotrigine i am taking.

• 1 year later...

I began with 5 mg and now I need 20 mg for some kind of effect at all.. Oh lovely benzos, causing tolerance and addiction like nothing else! :P

Oxazepam is the most sedating of all benzos I've tried, it does cut anxiety quite well, but doesn't reduce visuals much. Diazepam has alcohol type drunken feeling to it and does not cut anxiety or aggression well.. Lorazepam is the best I've used, cuts anxiety and aggression completely and is quite fast acting (onset is 20-30 minutes). Reduces visuals a bit too. Not very sedating also!

Be careful to not use any benzo too much or for too long periods time. 3-4 times a week with days in between is the upper limit I would say.

2 weeks with daily use will surely cause an addiction, you'll feel a nasty withdrawal if you quit cold turkey EVEN if it is a really short period of time!

20mg oxazepam is not very much, thankfully. I'm surprised you could even feel 5mg.

I took 1.5-2mg clonazepam for two weeks exactly and didn't experience any withdrawals. I took oxazepam for 3 weeks at one point and didn't experience any withdrawals then, either.

My tolerance to benzodiazepines rise really fast, though! Faster than I've heard anyone else describe. I've never abused them (ie taken them to get high or used in excess or with alcohol).

Dosage of Oxazepam is 10-30 mg. The very first pill was 5 mg for me, a first response effect, before the body recognizes the substance. Next time was 10 mg for effect, a week later 15 mg, then 20 mg and so on..

My base dose for anxiolytic effects is 20 mg, I use them less than once a month now.

I stopped using them too much since I noticed it went the same way as Lorazepam, which I went from 1 mg to 4 mg after 1 month of almost daily use. Suffered a horrible withdrawal, which thanks to the short use time, didn't last too long.

Interesting with benzos, how a beginning dose can go from having effect, to needing more than 3-4 times that dose for even having an effect in a period of weeks! They go from "oh I'm hammered" to "Hmm did I take sugar pills?".. ;-)