Lion's Mane Mushroom (Hericium Erinaceus)

Lion's Mane Mushroom has putative NGF promoting properties. Interestingly, there are various accounts of improved vision across the net. Here's a proposed procholinergic mechanism through which those effects may be mediated:

Lion's Mane -> NGF -> c-Fos -> epigenetic changes in ChAT transcription -> Improved/more synthesis of AcetylCholine -> see Coluracetam theory.

Too tired to spell it out right now, but here are the articles from which you may connect the dots:

Molecular mechanisms regulating NGF-mediated enhancement of cholinergic neuronal phenotype: c-fos trans-activation of the choline acetyltransferase gene.

Nerve growth factor-inducing activity of Hericium erinaceus in 1321N1 human astrocytoma cells.

Effect of an exo-polysaccharide from the culture broth of Hericium erinaceus on enhancement of growth and differentiation of rat adrenal nerve cells

Yes it's all crude and icky, but hey it might provoke some thought plus my brain's in a jam today. Anyone have any experience with the stuff? I was looking into buying it but it seems ridiculously expensive and it's not the correct season to start growing them here.

Whilst extracts are cheaper, they may lack the active substances. So I'll have to look around for a bit, but I'm quite eager to try this, though its effect(s) wouldn't be seen that acutely. I'm going to check my local oriental store one of these days to see if they sell dried Lion's Mane.. I read it should taste like lobster!

Thanks for the feedback! I've yet to read more about Lion's Mane, but IIRC it would take at least a month for benefits to start being noticeable, and one study was done over a 16 week period I believe, showing good results. I can understand that in the quest of finding something that works (and preferably pretty darn acutely), that one would be inclined to cease taking Lion's Mane prematurely due to the financial obstacles.

So the question remains: How long have you sustained your use of Lion's Mane and in what dosages (effective dosages are stated to range from 1-3 grams a day)?

Well I found the best deal I could find: 100 grams total-shroom-full-spectrum-all-inclusive-you-get-the-point of Lion's Mane powder for a little under 30 bucks, here.

Off-topic:
And apparently I spent about the same amount on random products I don't really need, but I got some Panax Ginseng, B-12 sublingual solution, and 3 different types of nasal decongestants, among others. I got sucked in by the cheap offers.. Darn; I used to be fairly resistant to that, but it would be nice to be able to breathe better for one. Plus the $ sign seems a lot less expensive than the € sign for some reason. Apparently one of the decongestants "promotes resistance against nervous tension and excitability" whatever that's supposed to mean. But for 7 bucks I thought what the hell.

Back on-topic:

100 grams will provide me with 33-50 days depending on dosage used (1g BID or TID respectively). I know I'm supposed to be all "only Keppra" for this trial I'm running, but I'm starting to care less and less about that, and might just start Lion's Mane when it arrives (I might cheat and tell myself I'm just eating a healthy fungus as if eating a vegetable soup). Rambling again..; a sign to go to bed.
Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback! I've yet to read more about Lion's Mane, but IIRC it would take at least a month for benefits to start being noticeable, and one study was done over a 16 week period I believe, showing good results. I can understand that in the quest of finding something that works (and preferably pretty darn acutely), that one would be inclined to cease taking Lion's Mane prematurely due to the financial obstacles.

So the question remains: How long have you sustained your use of Lion's Mane and in what dosages (effective dosages are stated to range from 1-3 grams a day)?

As for dosage, I took two of the pills I mentioned a day for around a month I'd say. But honestly. my HPPD is very mild in comparison to other users. So I may not be the best person to be asking about this.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps it wasn't effective for you mikezero due to the pills you happened to buy... pharm companies extract only certain properties from the plants so they can patent it blah blah, but perhaps for the thing to be fully effective you should go as close to the source as possible (this thinking comes from Sam93 posting this http://gaia-health.com/gaia-blog/2012-02-28/common-herb-water-hyssop-reverses-epilepsy-treats-and-prevents-other-brain-disorders/). I don't know much about LMM but if it is safe maybe try and get the funghi itself.

Puppeteer: Yeah I took it here and there for a week, but with Coluracetam in I figured I'd leave it be for now.
Syntheso: It's pretty safe afaik. Indeed, you're better off getting full-spectrum products instead of pills etc. I've got Fungiology's full-spectrum powder, which I believe I posted a link for above.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey people

Did anybody try those mane mushrooms so??

Im looking for people to help me investigate hppd fully.. I suffer from it too to the point where my thinking (and socializing) is much altered - i dont mind the visuals so much.. I would like to solve this problem once for all, because I don't feel like continuing to live if my hppd persists.

I am planning a trip to some warm country, to do 28 days of fasting ( I read it might help/did help somebody and it kind of makes sense, fasting is of many benefits for the body and brain ). I will be writing a blog and posting the results all over internet.

Im also interested in ketogenic diet, which is proven to be neuroprotective and so helping in some neurological problems.

In the mean time if anybody would like to join me on study/help me look for articles on hppd related stuff eg. on mane mushrooms it would be much appreciated.

Its hard to run the research on my own + different people means different approach to the same problem.

My mail hppd90@wp.pl

Keep up the faith.

• 1 year later...

I know this was from quite a while ago but did you have any success Odisa? I'm interested in trying this but I'm a little worried about the acetylcholine component.

I tried coluracetam and it leaves me in a state of extreme panic and anxiety for weeks after even a small dose under ten mg. it didn't do this at first. Oxiracetam almost completely cures my hppd cognitively and visually. I deemed it unsustainable though and I'm worse off than I was before now that I've stopped. Could be the coluracetam but I think not.