Supplements That Work

ive bought some niacinamide, not delivered yet.  I doubt it will help much as it seems mainly to help anxiety which i no longer have a problem with (except maybe some deep fossilised anxiety that causes head pressure) thanks to nac.  I also am from last night trying out a mix of alanine and histidine to increase my carnosine levels, which may help with energy.  Alanine is dead cheap and probably just as effective on its own, so if it works i will probably ditch the more expensive (but not too bad) histidine subsequently. Meant to take a couple of weeks to reach full effect.

I'll be interested to read of your experiences, brendan :) Good luck with the supps.

You find NAC anxiolytic? Mind I ask what dosages you take?

I think he takes half a teaspoon of powder a day.

Has anyone tried long term Sulbutiamine, as in, over three weeks?

A word on Modafinil; this has been perhaps the most useful thing I have tried thus far other than benzos in benefiting my quality of life. It does what it says on the tin extremely well, keeps you awake, focused. It helped regulate my sleep patterns thus. Interestingly, I also find it to have anxiolytic properties, which on googling, is also shown in studies and other anecdotes. Another interesting thing.. its effects seems to linger. Even if I fall asleep alright (site note; Mod's effects last quite a while so make sure you don't take it at least 5-6 hours before you're planning on sleeping.. I have had trouble sleeping due to usage), it still seems to help my cognitive function the following day, and the next.

Gets a huge thumbs up from me, it really made the last few months of my life much more painless, adjunctively taking NAC, Vit C, Magenesium + Vit B and the odd benzo.

Though, after 2-3 months of usage around maybe 2-3/week, I am pretty sure my visuals are worse (which could be explained by its role in dopamine) and also after a long batch of feeling generally quite good (still with bad visuals), I am starting to feel the fog coming back in. But this could also be due to being at a festival lately, where I was naughty and did some ketamine. I am planning to to have a few weeks off from Modafinil anyway, just to clear the system and all that. So yeah - get that in there.

So that's like.. 1-2 grams? A little vague haha.

Nope, not me sir. I used Sulbutiamine only a few times for acute benefits. I'll add it to the to-do list again. I thought it improved clarity rather well, though I can't remember why I left it aside.. Ahh yes the whole "clean levetiracetam trial" thing. The stuff's dirt-cheap, so it's worth the try I guess. Note that I only tried it like thrice maybe, hence it could've been placebo. Also I've read some contradicting stuff on long-term vs. short-term use which I can't particularly remember now.

Interesting you find Modafinil anxiolytic.. Hmm whilst I can't say it was extremely anxiogenic (a coffee would be much worse for me under no-tolerance circumstances), I noticed sometimes I found my thoughts a little hectic and more startle muscle twitches. And as you describe; I too experienced worsening of visuals, which subsided after discontinuation. Cognitively I still hold it in high regards. In any case it's reputed to help with DP. I might use it one of these days again, though I have little reason to. Moreover it doesn't improve memory retention, only working memory in my case (hence math improvements). Also with sustained usage I experienced some unpleasant time distortions distinct from the usual. In any case; a few days ago I decided to throw out any meds and supps I'd never use again, and when I came across Alertec I definitely kept it (in a vacuum zip-lock bag no less!).

Still prefer tDCS over Modafinil though :)

So that's like.. 1-2 grams? A little vague haha.

Nope, not me sir. I used Sulbutiamine only a few times for acute benefits. I'll add it to the to-do list again. I thought it improved clarity rather well, though I can't remember why I left it aside.. Ahh yes the whole "clean levetiracetam trial" thing. The stuff's dirt-cheap, so it's worth the try I guess. Note that I only tried it like thrice maybe, hence it could've been placebo. Also I've read some contradicting stuff on long-term vs. short-term use which I can't particularly remember now.

Interesting you find Modafinil anxiolytic.. Hmm whilst I can't say it was extremely anxiogenic (a coffee would be much worse for me under no-tolerance circumstances), I noticed sometimes I found my thoughts a little hectic and more startle muscle twitches. And as you describe; I too experienced worsening of visuals, which subsided after discontinuation. Cognitively I still hold it in high regards. In any case it's reputed to help with DP. I might use it one of these days again, though I have little reason to. Moreover it doesn't improve memory retention, only working memory in my case (hence math improvements). Also with sustained usage I experienced some unpleasant time distortions distinct from the usual. In any case; a few days ago I decided to throw out any meds and supps I'd never use again, and when I came across Alertec I definitely kept it (in a vacuum zip-lock bag no less!).

Still prefer tDCS over Modafinil though :)

Yeah I think so, probably a bit more.

I remember reading reports of Sulbutiamine being not so effective in the short run but after a few weeks it starting to really kick in. I've got a whole tub.. I'll get on that.

At first I found that with Modafinil. Particularly when I first started and took 200mg. Generally now I only take 100mg at a time and occasionally 200mg without that any more. I agree that it doesn't apparently improve memory retention. Yes tDCS... I went and took the plunge on one of those buggers (excited).. they seem to be having shipping troubles though.

i'm not very consistent with my nac dosage.  My anxiety was a sort of agoraphobic vertigo type feeling, like i wasnt attached to my body and had to hold on to something.  After my first proper dose of nac 4 years ago (maybe 10 pills, cant quite remember) i have not suffered this since, even when i have had a break.  There seems to be enough of a lingering effect that i dont need to be too regular about it.  I tend to have maybe a teaspoon (4-5 grams?) up to 3 times a day if i am drinking a lot of alcohol or eating crap, down to quarter tspn or less once a day with my main meal.  If i take too much my wife complains that my breath smells of eggs, but this can be mitigated by putting some zinc oxide in your gob.

Odisa: Im splitting a 500mg pill and taking it morning and dinner, I dont really see any changes since i really dont have any mental problems.

In fact it might be worsening my visuals a bit? Text movement seems more noticeable now. I cant say for sure its due to magnesium since my symptoms have always been slowly worsening since it started. 

As for the fart/gas problem, ive googled it and magnesium can make them smell unworldly lol.

i know wellbutrin isn't a supplement, but it's been a good drug to me the last 2 weeks. I've had much more energy than usual and even go out of my way to work. No sexual side effects, but it does make dp/dr a little worse. To me it's def worth the trade off since I need to get another job and I actually have something helping my depression and motivating me.

I did a search on it on this board and it didn't seem like wellbutrin helped others, but I'm going to stick it out and just pray I can stay more positve on this med. Later all!

Wellbutrin is a pretty benign antidepressant.  I would give it a good shot.  If that's all you take prescription med wise I think you're doing pretty good.  I take Lexapro and Klonopin (prn) myself, and I consider myself completely reliant on both of them at this point.

Honestly I was on it pre-HPPD and I'm totally wired for it now.  If I go off of it my perceptual glitchyness gets really bad.  By that I mean I see things incorrectly (almost like when you think you're seeing a mouse run across the street and then you realize it's a leaf- something like that, but all the time).  I'm also wrecked emotionally and suicidal. 

I think my visuals are worse with it, and if I take my dose consistently (10mg) for a couple of weeks it's almost like I get overloaded with it (my blood levels get too high) and my afterimages get really bad and I get bad brain fog.  I have to taper it back to 5mg one day, 10 the next until I start feeling better.  It's a constant balancing act.

I was forced on the generic for a couple of months and I seemed to be ok for a while... little did I know I was getting slowly worse.  By the time I figured out what it was and got back on the name brand I was completely fucked.  Having all kinds of symptoms I've never had before- some related to HPPD, some not.  I'm surprised I held my job down.  Now I'm stuck paying $160 every 2 months for the shit and I'm not even as good as before the generic fiasco.  What can you do though?

I think the short answer is if you find one that works it helps with depression, but not with HPPD symptoms. 

Hope some or any of that helps.  I think if you have depression an SSRI can be OK with HPPD but you have to watch the dosage and side effects.

Yesterday I picked up some b12 complex drops.Nac. Magnesium citrate

Took the b 12 after I got it . A few drops and wow I noticed a difference. My head pressure feels better but have increased racing thoughts and my dp dr feels different.

Today I took everything not that long ago and my stomach is making really weird noises and I feel really weird. Lightheaded and dizzy and kind of out of it. My visuals have increased too. I know I'm extremely sensitive to anything I put in my body tho. Ill try this for a few days but if it doesn't calm down ill be off it.

I was almost full on tripping when I woke up this morning. My mind was going a million miles an hour and had crazier dreams thn usual. Is that possible after only asking a few drops of b12?

Kellen I believe that anxiety was more responsible for your symptoms than anything else.  How long have you had HPPD? B vitamins should be fine.  Just keep it to a reasonable amount.  The NAC gave me some unwanted side effects (as I stated above).  Go easy on the supplements until you have your anxiety under control.  Just my $0.02.

The gassy things will go away with Mg. The stomache gets used to it in a couple of weeks. I need 400mg of Mg citrate before bed to get proper sleep. Its great but your stomache really need to get used to it. I have IBS and it was an interesting first week before settling.

Yesterday I picked up some b12 complex drops.Nac. Magnesium citrate

Took the b 12 after I got it . A few drops and wow I noticed a difference. My head pressure feels better but have increased racing thoughts and my dp dr feels different.

Today I took everything not that long ago and my stomach is making really weird noises and I feel really weird. Lightheaded and dizzy and kind of out of it. My visuals have increased too. I know I'm extremely sensitive to anything I put in my body tho. Ill try this for a few days but if it doesn't calm down ill be off it.

I was almost full on tripping when I woke up this morning. My mind was going a million miles an hour and had crazier dreams thn usual. Is that possible after only asking a few drops of b12?

Hey Kellen,

I've also been using a B-complex with B-12 sublingually. I've noticed that I can also get a little stimulated from this. I'm going to try just swallowing it instead of absorbing it sublingually, which should even out the effects because it won't be so rapidly absorbed. Perhaps you can try to do so as well?

I know that when I was taking a B-complex in pill form I didn't have this 'stimulation' type of feeling, so I'm guessing it'll help.

The stomache noises may be from the magnesium. If it doesn't hurt, just let it play out. If it does, try lowering or spreading out your dosage, which should help.

Anyway, just some things to consider! Hope it helps.

Odisa.

WuWei: How come that you don't eat acai berries on a daily basis if they make you feel good? :)

I dunno man... I'm trialing so much crap all the time I guess I forget.  It's on my list to try though.  I just had a few more left in a bottle and was looking for a little help for *ahem* detox due to the fact I might be looking for another job.  It was a fun... er... interesting summer though :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is currently working well for me;

Morning;

- 500mg Bacopa Monneiri (why; anti-epileptic properties)

- 1/2 ts magnesium oxide (although I find oxide not that effective, I will be switching to magnesium-l-threonate shortly).

- [newly added]; n-acetyl-cartinine (ALCAR) 1/2 ts (why; neurological health claims, see wiki)

- Vitamin B; "Consider supplementing a B50, 2-3 times a day. The B-50 contains extra B6 needed, but the B vitamins work together and if you only supplement a few B vitamins, this can result in latent deficiencies of B vitamins occurring. The B vitamins also help control water balance in cells, help increase cell membrane permeability, help to dispose of waste, and many other cell functions that can increase cell efficiency. This makes it more likely for supplemental ideas to be successful." (http://www.restoreunity.org/increase_eff_dopamine.htm)

- Vitamin C - antioxidant, you know the rest

- Vitamin E - I don't remember why right now

- Omega 3/6, brand 'Eye Q' - build up fatty acids. Induced in visual pathway.

Sometimes in the morning (2-3 week);

100mg Modafinil (why; combat lethargy, regulate sleep patterns, do shit) - best supplement I have used to date.

1/2 ts NAC (clears brain fog for me)

Evening/Before Bed;

- 1,000mg Bacopa Monneiri (why; said to lower dopamine levels slightly making you feel a bit more tired, so makes more sense to take it before bed. And placing emphasis on quality of sleep - contributed to by BM's anti-epileptic effects)

- Melatonin (why; powerful antioxidant, sleep aid + "Melatonin helps with sleep cycles, works as an antioxidant in the brain, and helps maintain hormonal balance. Chronic stress from Parkinson's, results in the catabolic breakdown of the body. The body balances the catabolic processes (which break the body down), with anabolic processes that synthesize and rebuild the body. When a person is healthy, both processes are going on, but they neutralize each other and help promote running the body properly. In chronic stress the catabolic processes are resulting in more than normal breakdown of the body and these catabolic processes need to be neutralized. Melatonin starts off the cycles that lead to the human growth hormone cycle. Deep sleep is required for proper human growth hormone cycles and melatonin is important for this to happen. Human growth hormone is anabolic and can help balance the body from catabolic reactions. The testosterone cycle is anabolic and works better in conjunction with human growth hormone. Melatonin influences the testosterone cycle. Also melatonin helps to protect the brain in the role of an antioxidant. Degeneration anywhere in the body, including the degeneration of the substantia nigra as in Parkinson's, needs antioxidants to repair and protect the brain from the damage that has occurred. Melatonin also can decrease cortisol levels (adrenaline), which can be high from chronic stress. Decreasing excess cortisol levels can be helpful in decreasing the amount of dopamine depleted to make adrenaline hormones." (http://www.restoreunity.org/increase_eff_dopamine.htm).

Coming up on the bill.. Lion's Mane, l-acetyl-tyrosine (I once supp'd tyrosine, precursor to dopamine a while back for a month and noted no difference, although in theory, as a precursor to dopamine it should help. I am going to try the acetyl'ed form to see if it is more effective, apparently more bioavailable although this is not agreed upon.

a funny thing i noticed: when i started taking magnesium oxide mixed with malic acid, my urine was quite cloudy for about a week or so.  I thought maybe i had a mild urinary infection, but then i noticed it would leave a white chalky powder deposit on the end of my nob (along with the cobwebs and cheese).  So either i was pissing out unabsorbed magnesium, or the mix of mag and malic was dissolving calcium deposits maybe in my kidneys.  It didnt last, so suggests it may have been clearing calcite.

Anyone have bad experience with b complex?

I started taking b100 complex recently (about 4 days now)  and noticed a mild stimulation effect... and today maybe even to the point of mild "no-reason" anxiety. 

Last night, my heart seemed to be beating faster than normal during sleep which in the past and today resulted in extremely vivid/memorable dreams (to the point of remembering exactly what i say in dreams) as well as falling in and out of sleep often :\ 

Weird. Will have to observe more. 

I havent really had any anxiety/DP problems since 2 month ago when I've had it for 2-3weeks which resolved itself. Maybe i shouldnt take bcomplex since. Maybe I should drop out of school....lol i guess thats an excuse :|