This looks a very promising drug. Anyone tried it?

It's called Memantine. It interferes with sensory gating. The disruption of sensory gating is thought to be a possible cause of HPPD. Sensory gating helps control the minds ability to focus on one sensory stimulation at a time without being overloaded.

From wiki: "The cause(s) of HPPD are not yet known. The most current neurological research indicates that HPPD symptoms may manifest from abnormalities in CNS function, following the hallucinogen use.[3][4][5] One theory derived from this research is that inhibitory mechanisms involved with sensory gating are disrupted.[6]"

Also from wiki: "The mechanism of sensory gating involves feed-forward and feed-back inhibition of the stimulus perceived. It involves GABA-ergic and Alpha-7 nicotinic receptor-mediated inhibition of the pyramidal neurons in the cornu ammonis (CA3) region of the hippocampus."

Memantine is an Alpha-7 nicotinic antagonist which apparently interferes with excitation of certain parts of the brain that may have been effected by hallucinogens. Gaba drugs do not appear to have an effect on HPPD. Alpa-7 nicotinic is perhaps an untested and viable target. Memantine is being tested for treatment for Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Depression, OCD and ADHD all of which share symptoms with HPPD.

Has anyone tried this or know of someone who has?

Memantine : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memantine

I remember discussing this drug a little bit on the visual snow board but not sure what ended up happening, don't think anyone tried it or it wasn't on the market yet, I'm not sure, I think the discussion was about tinnitus though, which is relevant for most anyway.

(there seems to be a little disccusion here and there about this drug on the thosewithvisualsnow forum, I'd go through some threads but don't have the time, might be worthwhile though if someone else has the time)

This drug seems interesting because for me it seems as if too much perceptual/visual information is coming in and if this drugs mechanism is correct then I think we might see some benefit from this. To test the hyperexcitation theory anyway.

Here is an interesting article in regards to refactory migraine, which from this article explains what that means..

Basilar migraines (originating at the base of the skull) and ocular migraines (originating in the eyes) are examples of migraines defined by the form they take

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5749768_define-refractory-migraines.html

and this article shows evidence in this drugs role in refractory migraine,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19031499

which in turn gives us a link (although not a very strong link, but still something) that this drugs role may have an affect on us, as refractory migraine can be classified as "ocular" and I'm sure many people here have been diagnosed with migraine with aura or silent migraine or something along those lines. I do think this condition is strongly migraine related. What also sounds promosing if this is correct then it differentiates it self from other drugs, I don't think it would be a relief drug but more of a drug that will be a preventitive, so hopefully we've stumbled across something that might not be needed to take daily? who knows though, If I had the time I would look into this some more but I see some promiss here.

I guess all we need is someone whilling to try this drug or to here some expiriences if there is any. I'd like to see where this goes, I might add this to the list of drugs to try.

I have tried it when trying to decrease my tolerances ( it is an nmda antagonist ) i ramped up my dosage too fast over the course of a week and got a psuedo-psychedelic mindset and bad respiratory depression. I had bad derealization too. I kept obsessing over how my entire life might just be an intricate dream and that i was in a coma or something. I have quite a bit left as i stopped taking it. If you decide to try it, be cautious with your doses because it has a long half life. I went from 10mg to 40mg in a week which was a mistake

I have tried it when trying to decrease my tolerances ( it is an nmda antagonist ) i ramped up my dosage too fast over the course of a week and got a psuedo-psychedelic mindset and bad respiratory depression. I had bad derealization too. I kept obsessing over how my entire life might just be an intricate dream and that i was in a coma or something. I have quite a bit left as i stopped taking it. If you decide to try it, be cautious with your doses because it has a long half life. I went from 10mg to 40mg in a week which was a mistake

It sounds like it is affecting the right areas but not in the positive way we hoped for. How were your visuals affected?

• 3 weeks later...

everybody send me your trial meds I'll be our hppd guinee pig. I don't have to work for a while so my brain can be scrambled lol.

I've tried all ssri's but none of these type meds. Just write out a list and I'll get some prescribed to me see if anything helpd. Trial and error is the only way to figure this out so I'm seriously ready to make some errors!!!!!!!!!

High doses of Diazepam and opiates are the only thing that lower my visuals. Clonazepam never lowered visuals for me but only helped anxiety. I'm currently getting off klonopin because I believe it to be a weak benzo in quality compared to Valium. Valium reduces my visuals and my anxiety without totally destroying my memory.

Opiates and benzo combo's are the only thing that almost completely take away my visuals for a couple hrs (like you said in another post)

I'm cutting down my klono but just cause I'm becoming tolerant, but I have tried valium many times and I completely agree it works so much better then klonopin, even though 1mg of klono is equal to 20mg valium.

Shaloin, I remember you saying a while back you don't really get benzo w/d's. I'm going through hell I shake everyday and am so miserable at just a small klono taper it seems neverending.

Anyways take care hope you have a smooth transition to valium(Doc's hate prescribing it though)

High doses of Diazepam and opiates are the only thing that lower my visuals. Clonazepam never lowered visuals for me but only helped anxiety. I'm currently getting off klonopin because I believe it to be a weak benzo in quality compared to Valium. Valium reduces my visuals and my anxiety without totally destroying my memory.

Would doctors change my prescription from clonazepam to valium if I tell them it had a negative affect on my memory? because I take it at night, black out and remember very little the next day. I also notice it affecting my memory day to day, and I only take it at night so if valium has a positive affect on visuals (clonazepam hasn't had any for me) and doesn't screw my memory up I would rather take that!

Wow 1998 very nice. Can I make some attempts with you if I get a place on the medicine university? ATM I can suggest Tolcapone+L-Dopa, it's a very very promising combination. It can be very dangerous if you dose wrong but you only need to try it once to know if it will effect you. 

• 5 weeks later...

1998, hi it's val from the other board. I agree with what you posted, obviously. Any tips for weening off this as it's not even the hppd symptoms that drive me insane anymore but rather the withdrawal from the benzos, etc. hope you are well!

WindScar ya I'll take whatever for a few weeks although I've been feeling good lately just working and working out.

Val go to benzobuddies.org they have some of the best advice, they have a chat room ppl are almost always in and you'll start to understand how wrong most doc's are about long term bezo use.

If you don't go to another board see if your doc will cross you over to valium, and only go down 10% of your dose every 2 weeks. The slower you w/d the better. I know how you're feeling keep your head up later/Ace

Oh Val, I remeber you going off your klono like 3 yrs ago and reading your post saying everything was cartoonish looking and you started feeling like you were on acid again. I found out ppl that w/d off benzo w/o hppd get what they call a acid like w/d, it's a quite common withdrawal symptom same w/ the wall shifting and spinning like you drank a little!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1998 why you started using clonazepam? Because a drug known as safe gave you a cronic disease. So, instead of learning from it and staying away from drugs you simply try to fight that disease with another drug? One that is known to have serious side effects? Everyone does it but I can`t understand the logic.

WindScar if I never took klonopin I would of fucking killed myself from not sleeping and hallucinating w/ panic attacks 24/7. It saved my life!!! Why did you take acid I can't understand that logic.

Stop talking shit!!!!

• 2 years later...

Just thought I'd bump this as I recently discovered a relative who has a bad case of Alzheimer's went on it the other day. His condition has improved greatly (he had been getting no where for ages) pretty much instantaneously. Concurrently he was experiencing lots of anxiety which apparently has completely gone.. a different person (well, be no means 'his old self' - but a different person from prior to starting this med).

Any member anecdotes?

• 7 months later...
Memantine upregulates BDNF and prevents dopamine deficits in SIV-infected macaques: a novel pharmacological action of memantine.
Abstract

N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor activation is involved in the pathogenetic cascades of neurodegenerative disorders including human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) dementia. Memantine, an uncompetitive NMDA receptor antagonist, which has been recently approved for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, is being discussed as a potential adjunctive therapeutic substance for HIV dementia. We used simian immunodeficiency virus-infected rhesus macaques to assess the effects of memantine on brain dysfunction and brain pathology within 3-5 months after initial infection during early asymptomatic stage of disease. We had shown previously that within this time frame, marked changes were evident in the dopaminergic systems. Memantine was administered two weeks post infection, at peak viremia, in order to prevent early NMDA receptor activation due to immune mediators. We found that memantine prevented onset of dopamine deficits in the brains of SIV-infected macaques, without affecting early brain pathology or peripheral course of infection. Memantine specifically upregulated mRNA and protein expression of the neurotrophic factor brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), suggesting that the protective effect of memantine on dopamine function may be mechanistically remote from NMDA receptor antagonism. This novel pharmacological action of memantine may also be relevant for other neurodegenerative disorders and supports the involvement of neurotrophic factors in adult brain neuroprotection.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17971830