A touchy subject... premature ejaculation...

So perhaps not related to HPPD etc. at all, but perhaps it could explain some of my woe..

Before I had HPPD, I used to be able to control downstairs pretty well. Afterwards it has become a nightmare... 

The obvious explanation would be anxiety.. there were occasions were I could certainly put down lack of control to anxiety, or at least as a contribution. But there have been times where I haven't been anxious at all, really relaxed, and still a nightmare situation. I know that there are many things that can cause PE, but I would say I have a severe case and I can't help but think it is more than just a lack of psychological control.

I have wondered..

Visual introduced the concept of cerebral disinhibition to me and HPPD as being a hyperactive state. A listed type of cerebral disinhibition is hypersexuality.. 

I also read someone talking about using SSRI's in another thread and they are often used to treat premature ejaculation. 

Do you think my PE could be linked with HPPD ?

Initially I thought my PE was unrelated, but I am now wondering if HPPD has something to do with it. Has anyone else found issues in this area, or am I alone ? 

S

My view is that HPPD people tend to blame everything on HPPD when it is almost certainly nothing to do with it... just relax man.

I thought someone would make a brash/unthoughtful/patronising reply like that. I had meant to add an addendum saying 'it is easy to blame everything on HPPD, but it is worth thinking about how other arising conditions could be related'. I mean like I said, no problems before, suddenly after I develop a condition and someone else happens alongside. Both HPPD and PE come from dysfunctional brain chemistry so it's not farfetched to wonder if there is a connection, and I look forward to a response from someone who has a better knowledge of brain chemistry and can perhaps comes up with some reasoning to suggest that there could be some correlation or in fact not. But thanks man, I'll absorb your chilled vibes, watch The Big Lebowski, be a cool dude, that'll sort it all out, man.

Why so hostile? It just seems unreasonable to assume there is a connection between 2 wildly different medical issues. If anything it could be caused or worsened by the stress and anxiety that comes with hppd but it seems unlikely that there would be a direct connection. Correlation does not equal causation and all that. Best advice is to go to a doctor.

Why so hostile? It just seems unreasonable to assume there is a connection between 2 wildly different medical issues. If anything it could be caused or worsened by the stress and anxiety that comes with hppd but it seems unlikely that there would be a direct connection. Correlation does not equal causation and all that. Best advice is to go to a doctor.

Because, I have provided two (well, three) reasons to suggest why I think there might be a relationship. 1. HPPD as cerebral disinhibition, hyperactive state, PE as hypersexual state. 2. SSRI's used to treat HPPD, also used to treat PE. 3. Both of these things happened simultaneously for me. And also as reported there have been times where I was not anxious (I know what anxiety feels like) and I have still had problems, so I am not convinced it is an anxiety issue.

How can you be so sure that these are wildly different issues?

"Several physiological mechanisms have been hypothesized to contribute to causing premature ejaculation including serotonin receptors"

There are certainly things to suggest that there could be links. All I'm doing is inquiring, and asking for arguments.

I admit ignorance in what I am asking/hypothesising about, hence me asking here (that is the point). It is certainly unhelpful when I present a reasonable argument and someone just replies, patronisingly saying 'just relax man'. I was looking for a more analytical response from someone with a some scientific knowledge of brain chemistry, as I have seen many people display here. It is inspiring and commendable the research people have done individually. Not some pseudo-cool unhelpful response. If it was all just as easy as 'relaxing, man', would we all be bothering here trying to work out what the hell is going on in our lives? Have a bit of courtesy and empathy...

And of course I'm seeing a doctor...

Because, I have provided two (well, three) reasons to suggest why I think there might be a relationship. 1. HPPD as cerebral disinhibition, hyperactive state, PE as hypersexual state. 2. SSRI's used to treat HPPD, also used to treat PE. 3. Both of these things happened simultaneously for me. And also as reported there have been times where I was not anxious (I know what anxiety feels like) and I have still had problems, so I am not convinced it is an anxiety issue.

How can you be so sure that these are wildly different issues?

There are certainly things to suggest that there could be links. All I'm doing is inquiring, and asking for arguments.

I admit ignorance in what I am asking/hypothesising about, hence me asking here (that is the point). It is certainly unhelpful when I present a reasonable argument and someone just replies, patronisingly saying 'just relax man'. I was looking for a more analytical response from someone with a some scientific knowledge of brain chemistry, as I have seen many people display here. It is inspiring and commendable the research people have done individually. Not some pseudo-cool unhelpful response. If it was all just as easy as 'relaxing, man', would we all be bothering here trying to work out what the hell is going on in our lives? Have a bit of courtesy and empathy...

And of course I'm seeing a doctor...

What SSRIs are used to treat HPPD? Lots of people have reported that SSRIs have made things worse for themselves, permanently.

More pertinent to the thread, many members report problems that occur at the same time as typical HPPD symptoms and it many cases it does seem to be more than just a visual perception disorder. Ultimately, we do not fully know what damage to the nervous system has occurred, but it would be VERY coincidental if there was no connection between HPPD and non-visual symptoms that often occur at the same time.

Well yeah... it would be coincidental by definition wouldnt it lol. I didnt mean to imply that relaxing will cure your problem man, sorry. I just meant if anything PE is probably caused by stress/anxiety. Which obviously comes with the HPPD territory. So in that sense there probably is a link

What SSRIs are used to treat HPPD? Lots of people have reported that SSRIs have made things worse for themselves, permanently.

More pertinent to the thread, many members report problems that occur at the same time as typical HPPD symptoms and it many cases it does seem to be more than just a visual perception disorder. Ultimately, we do not fully know what damage to the nervous system has occurred, but it would be VERY coincidental if there was no connection between HPPD and non-visual symptoms that often occur at the same time.

As to the first part, true no doubt. But, from the abstracts recently posted by David:

"a 22-yr-old man who presented with hallucinogen persisting perception disorder and symptoms of mild depression 6 mo after discontinuing the use of LSD. Antidepressant treatment was begun with sertraline, until a target dose of 100 mg was reached. Mild exacerbations of the LSD-like phenomena were noted for 2-4 days after each dosage increase. Within 1 mo of reaching the target dose the perceptual disturbances decreased until they had almost completely remitted, and the depressive symptoms also improved. It is hypothesized that hallucinogen persisting perception disorder is serotonergically mediated, and that sertraline initially exacerbates the perceptual disturbances, but attenuates them after chronic administration."

As to the second, symptoms like depression and anxiety often occur at the same time as the onset of HPPD but are comorbid rather than part of the disorder. Surely other psychological problems could be caused by, but not be part of, HPPD.

On the first point, very interesting, thanks.

On the second, I can see where you are coming from completely, and agree in some situations. You might be depressed ‘why has this happened to me?’, or anxious ‘what’s all this weird static in my vision?’, which would be viewed as being caused by but not part of HPPD itself. But remember these symptoms can have a more mechanical cause as well, more to do with the structure and chemistry of the brain rather than the situation that the individual has been placed in (think certain cases of clinical depression, or anxiety disorders, for example).

Additionally, there are many more symptoms that have been reported by members – fatigue, tinnitus, pain, dizziness, brain fog, head pressure, uneven pupil size, communication problems, tremors, spasms, depersonalisation/derealisation, etc – just off the top of my head. Many more I am sure. Some members report significant personality change – from outgoing, confident and quick with their mind; to uncomfortable, shy and slow and experiencing panic attacks for the first time in their lives.

For some of these symptoms I think a case can be made for them being psychological (depending on the situation), but for others it seems more likely (to me) that the mechanics of the nervous system have been altered in some way. Viewed this way, these symptoms may not necessarily be HPPD by technical definition (HPPD is to do with visuals and mental state, but that’s a whole different discussion), but are part of the same overall neurological disorder that the person is experiencing – backed up by the fact sometimes medications used to treat their disorder alleviate non-visual symptoms without altering the visuals themselves.

I wouldn't know about PE, but I myself experience severely lowered libido since HPPD struck me. This is partly due to loss of confidence, i.e. the anxiety that would come with sex would greatly outweigh any possibility of enjoying it. Hell I've had to turn down some really amazing women, just because of the fact that I'm way too anxious to be in any kind of romantic involvement whatsoever. IMO, PE is probably related to anxiety, which is produced by HPPD/DP/DR. It is not unnatural that you would then say HPPD causes PE.

Thanks for the responses. I don't think I implied that PE was part of HPPD. I was questioning a link between two disorders I am experiencing simultaneously (and that onset at the same time) and was wondering if anyone else had experienced similar things.

I wouldn't know about PE, but I myself experience severely lowered libido since HPPD struck me. This is partly due to loss of confidence, i.e. the anxiety that would come with sex would greatly outweigh any possibility of enjoying it. Hell I've had to turn down some really amazing women, just because of the fact that I'm way too anxious to be in any kind of romantic involvement whatsoever. IMO, PE is probably related to anxiety, which is produced by HPPD/DP/DR. It is not unnatural that you would then say HPPD causes PE.

Mmm, yeah, know what you mean.. except my lack of confidence is more to do with the above :P. Although as frustrating as named issue is, I do just think fuck it. If you'll pardon the choice of words.

Pun is necessary in such meager times ;)
Regarding the implications, my apologies. I should rephrase: "It is not unnatural one could relate PE to HPPD".

HPPD is complex, and most of it is really a chicken-or-egg dilemma.

Skip to 2:37.
Opgezwolle - Passievrucht/Bosmuis ft. Duvel

Now I no you don't speak dutch. Aside from it being decent rap, an uncommon phenomena, it is relevant.

"Meestal lever ik meer dan 10 seconden werk, anders wachten we even, en gaan gewoon verder, waar we waren gebleven."

translates to:

"Usually I deliver more than 10 seconds work, otherwise we'll wait for a little, and just continue, where we left off"

That's my adopted motto, perhaps keep that in mind?

Pun is necessary in such meager times ;)

Regarding the implications, my apologies. I should rephrase: "It is not unnatural one could relate PE to HPPD".

HPPD is complex, and most of it is really a chicken-or-egg dilemma.

Skip to 2:37.

Opgezwolle - Passievrucht/Bosmuis ft. Duvel

Now I no you don't speak dutch. Aside from it being decent rap, an uncommon phenomena, it is relevant.

"Meestal lever ik meer dan 10 seconden werk, anders wachten we even, en gaan gewoon verder, waar we waren gebleven."

translates to:

"Usually I deliver more than 10 seconds work, otherwise we'll wait for a little, and just continue, where we left off"

That's my adopted motto, perhaps keep that in mind?

Migraine times ;-) 

Well, nothing like a bit of dutch rap to get your shit together. Proost!