Transcript of Radio Appearance and Description of HPPD

"We begin today's program on psychedelics with a young man, David. He says his use of LSD and the club drug ecstasy, properly called MDMA, or methylenedioxy-n-methylamphetamine has left him literally unable to see straight.

DAVID: I was mainly using ecstasy once every two weeks. There is a certain type of pill, they're called Lucky Sevens. I took them, and the next morning when I woke up, my vision was completely different.

I mean, I can see objects, it's just my vision's now blurry. I had 20/20 vision, and up till later, I can't read street signs that are at a distance. And, you know, driving at night is a problem for me. You know, it's difficult to, you know, tell an employer or a family member, `I'm sorry, I can't drive tonight because I hallucinate all the time because I used to take a bunch of drugs when I was young.'

A way to describe hallucinogen persisting perception disorder is if you're in a room and there's a breeze coming through and your window or shades are moving and your clothes are moving because of the breeze, imagine that without having any wind coming through and having that constantly. So it's like everything's in a breeze, constantly moving. The studio I'm in is not HPPD friendly. As I sit here, I just--the entire room is constantly shifting, the shadows are creeping in, clock is moving, the black speaker in front of me that's turning to a purplish color. That's very common for me, having black turn to purple.

We have what we call trails. People who've taken LSD are very--understand this, is if you wave objects past you, that object leaves a visual translucent trail of itself behind, and so a-- as people move throughout, out the window, I see trails of their bodies.

The one thing I wish I could do, the one thing that makes me the craziest, is I would like to be able to look at a blank--like a solid cud--color wall and not have it change colors, not have it shift, not have it do anything, just have it be plain black, plain red, plain pink, plain something, but not have it sparkle, or not have it have static over it or not be able to see patterns and see faces in it, just have it be a blank wall.”

From the transcript of guest, David S. Kozin, from syndicated radio show, The Infinite Mind, National Public Radio, 2003.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea David I recall you saying it happened from just one pill?

I had only tried MDMA (well E - who knows what was actually in it) once, then a few months later I tried it again and ended up taking 4 pills over the course of about two days.

I was fine for almost a year, then I had ACL surgery, and when I woke up from general anesthesia, I had static and slowly other issues developed (or atleast I noticed them).

Anyways the effort you've put in is amazing and I thank you for your dedication and persistence, as I highly doubt I'd be capable of completing such a task - school is a hassle already.

• 2 months later...

You never answers me, but thanks for everything you are doing.

Do you still have all the information of the old forum there? If you do why you keep it for you? I think I can export it to this forum or at least make it available for query online if this is the problem.

I am slowly getting back into reading and answering on the web site. I can't answer all of the messages, and I don't want to delegate to someone without announcing that I will do so. I am going to have the web site send me text messages with each post so I can catch the ones with my name.

MDMA is a strange chemical, and yes if anyone has done their research I am a co-author on a publication related to MDMA stating we need to re-evaluate the dangers of the substance with improved protocols in the journal Addiction. I believe my HPPD was a progression, but the pill that was the final precipitant was adulterated and friends in psychedelic world (Lucid first suggested it I think, and he is likely right) was a pill sold as Ecstasy but contained 2-ct-7.

Anesthesia is also a precipitant event in research reports presented in an article in multiple occasions.

The old board... funny you mention this. I am deleting and cleaning all of my files on disks, clouds, etc... Looking for the SQL file. The two SQL files of the database were corrupt. So, I have the info I saved in a different location.

If the old board were to go up, I would want agreement by members to decide what to do with it. I believe it would be best used privately as a source for information for the community and researchers, but bringing back old accounts would be a nightmare.

If you are interested in working on a web site for information on HPPD (sort of a wiki system perhaps or another psuedo-static site) I am up for that.

Yes, I know the community is aware of different research projects occurring at different levels at this time. The next phase for a much more comprehensive and organized trial is nearing and participants will be needed for this study, so if you can wait for the next phase of the work then your response to the medication will be part of an important data set. I am not participating in the trial at this time. One reason is not to bias results if very positive, but second is my long taper off of Klonopin.

- David

You never answers me, but thanks for everything you are doing.

Do you still have all the information of the old forum there? If you do why you keep it for you? I think I can export it to this forum or at least make it available for query online if this is the problem.

I didn't understand, both SQL files are corrupted but you still have the forum saved elsewhere?

You could export just the posts to this forum or make the information available online for us. It's a boring task but if you are lacking time I can do it for you.

If you are interested in working on a web site for information on HPPD (sort of a wiki system perhaps or another psuedo-static site) I am up for that.

If you think this is necessary, yes, I am interested in working in anything related to HPPD that I can be useful.

I'm not aware of what is going on, could you give me an summary of what are the current projects running?