Could HPPD be hereditary?

myrslingerbult

this has been discussed here before. It doesnt cause known genetic mutations as such so probably ok there. But epigenetic changes may occur that are passed on. However, these changes in gene expression are presumably localised in the brain and not in the gonads so probably ok. But as ever the level of knowledge on this is too low to be anywhere close to definitive.

Me and Chris has a little talk about genetic predisposition in regards to HPPD a little while ago and it was fairly interesting to me because my Dad has HPPD as well and has had it for many years, even from before I was born. All of my friends who I did drugs with back in highschool never developed HPPD and we had all done the same amounts roughly throughout those 4 years. I even proved to have a higher tolerance and willpower towards drugs, I could generally hold onto myself and maintain even through strong psychedelic trips where they might have freaked out and had a bad trip. Also, none of their parents were ever drug users, drinkers, yes, but not drugs. My Dad was always heavy into drugs, lots of LSD, mushrooms and Cocaine, inherently my Mom, being around my Dad, got into these drugs as well. My Dad ended up with HPPD. Now out of all my friends, I was the only one to develop HPPD. For myself, the evidence stacks towards the fact that I was made a easier target because of my Dad's condition.

It's cos you 'contained' yourself so well that something has to give. Like a boiling kettle. That's how I see my drug use and hppd. on the outside I was fine but my subconscious held onto it and it built and built till boooom! mines was like a ticking clock, I had so many warnings but I didn't heed them. That's why I feel bad for folk that get it after one trip etc. That's so unlucky, but I played Russian roulette for ages.

Eh I agree completely with you but like 3rd was saying, trying to "stay in control" during all those psychedelic trips might have done some harm because it would have been a form of fighting it even if it didn't feel like it, as were everyone else just limped out and went with it.

Branden and Dylan have interesting and true viewpoint. There is a predisposition to HPPD no doubt. There are also predispositions to a slow rate of drug metabolism.

Like the other guys said: the likelihood of passing HPPD onto your progeny is virtually nil.

But passing on those predispositions is another story, all together.

I see. So my children will probably have a extra vulnerability for developing HPPD, but if they stay away from drugs they'll be all fine?

Relatively few drug users get HPPD. And very few get HPPD without drugs, it is an underlying neurological weakness --- "Developing HPPD without ever tripping on acid can also happen, but in my experience this is quite rare, and suggestive of another disorder in the nervous system that needs medical attention." http://amrglobal.pow...m/category/hppd I got it without drugs but it was from toxic exposure.

It is natural for a parent to worry (and even feel guilty) about passing 'weak' genes to their kids. But we can only pass what we got ... and then that is only 1/2 the picture. Read about "Mendel's Peas"

genotypes_of_pea_plants.gif

Since much about disease susceptibility is genes, then your question is valid. The other half of the equation is exposure. Let your kinds know what happened to you and tell them that taking drugs could affect them too. After that, you can only do so much. Kids will probably experiment or try to fit in.

The other part of exposure goes beyond drugs ... diet, clean air and water, good rest, exercise, friends - everything that is part of 'healthy living'. Teach and implement this, then your kids will have the best chances for the best health.

It is unlikely that your children will be born with these things. It is true that they can be affected by what a mother has done, but most of this relates to your health at (and during) pregnancy. Healthy mothers will have the healthiest children. If you have weird vision, that is not likely to be passed any more than having a broken arm would (i.e. brittle-bone-disease is hereditary but having a broken bone is not).

Yes this absolutely is passed down and yes your children could get this from you without ever touching an illegal drug. I'm speaking from my experience. It maybe be very rare but when it happens to you it no longer seems rare. It does seem that when a child has all the visuals the dp/dr and panic attacks don't seem to be at the fore front. This is all just my personal experience.

You cannot generalise from your personal experience to make the statement "Yes this absolutely is passed down and yes your children could get this from you without ever touching an illegal drug." There is no evidence that is so. I did discuss this at length with Dylan and share the opinion that a predisposition may possibly be passed on but would almost certainly need the trigger of some illicit substance to be awakened. Telling people that their children could be born with the disorder is groundless scaremongering and you cannot use the caveat of 'personal experience' for making such irresponsible remarks.

• Upvote 6

Yes I do one with hppd since a very small child. The first time I thought he might have hppd was when he was in bed and said mommy I see ants marching everywhere. My heart sunk the first thought was static. I didn't talk with him about it for years hoping it would go away of course it did not. I have since talked with him and am sad to say his visuals are worse then mine he sees colors exploding images in the dark. Can you imagine as a young child seeing faces in the dark? I can't even tell you how it breaks my heart knowing there is no help for him out there. I think it would be irresponsible for me not to convey my experience.

Conveying your experience is one thing, and something I agree is important. But the fact that your child shares symptoms that you have does not prove a genetic causation or justify the type of hard statement that could scare people and effect their decision in making a major life choice.

Chris what is your hppd but personal experience? The question was posed not to medical doctors but to the followers of this board so really everything that anyone says on this board is only personal experience so until you have your phd you speak from only your personal experience with this disorder. I have just as much a write to say my experience as you do and did it in way of saying this is my experience as not to confuse it. Do you think I want to talk about my child on this board? I did it to maybe help someone who MIgHT go through this as well. I have been to see Dr.A I know it's passed down and if your confused on that issue maybe you should go see him.