Dissociative Identity Disorder

Spent alot of time researching, not for the cause (as I was with ShaolinBomber in the past) but as to possible side effects. I have been diagnosed with Dissociative Identity Disorder (eg multiple personalities). I have found 4 myself. Fits in with derealization and depersonalization. just wondering if anyone else has found the same...the cause for me is easy - getting over seeing sh*t for 6 months I wanted to black it out!!

• 1 month later...

Yes, DP is more a way of loosing the sense of self and not feeling "sad" about it but still you remember what you lost and that can make one depressed.

Never felt multiple. Actually i read that a lot of psychiatrists that does not recognize the existence of this disorder but it is actually something else.

hmm, I've never felt like I had multiple personalities, I just felt like I had no personality.

• 3 weeks later...

Psychiatrists used to think that dissociation was a multiple personality disorder. My guess as to why they thought this is because people with DID lose the sense of their formal self identity and to an outside observer who is listening to someone explain the symptoms or the sensation of it, it would sound like the patient has bouts where his personality randomly changes when the fact of the matter is that the dissociation only makes it seem like you've lost all sense of who you are.

It's a trick that your mind is playing on you. It's an uncontrollable defense reaction of the brain when your conscious perceives a mind/life altering change in reality.

Soldiers returning from war get it all the time. PTSD. I used to think the DP/DR was caused by a physical change in the brain but now as I have experienced short time spans where my dissociation (which only manifests into DR for me) was not there and my reality/environment seemed completely normal and familiar again. These are on days when my visuals are lower than normal.

Yeah DID never really made much sense to me, sounded too sensationalist, too hollywood. Shaolin, your explaination seems reasonable though.

To explain - I don't think I am truly different people...but rather react / feel different about things depending on my mood. i think this is why the ols "multiple personality disorder" has been replaced with "disassociative identity disorder".

I am aware now that I can have 4 main thought frames - I am 1 person, but my attitude totally switches depending on how I feel.

2 are related to drinking, so if I can stop that - I will be down to two.

They say DID comes from a traumatic experience....not sure how many people got HPPD so bad they creid themselves to sleep the first 6 months. After 16 years, it still haunts me...

I am not religious - but to me heaven would be not seeing shit and having a balanced life...

Well that makes much more sense then the Fight Club story ;)

To explain - I don't think I am truly different people...but rather react / feel different about things depending on my mood. i think this is why the ols "multiple personality disorder" has been replaced with "disassociative identity disorder".

I am aware now that I can have 4 main thought frames - I am 1 person, but my attitude totally switches depending on how I feel.

2 are related to drinking, so if I can stop that - I will be down to two.

They say DID comes from a traumatic experience....not sure how many people got HPPD so bad they creid themselves to sleep the first 6 months. After 16 years, it still haunts me...

I am not religious - but to me heaven would be not seeing shit and having a balanced life...