VITAMINS, MINERALS AND SUPPLEMENTS

I think with the supplements it really differs from person to person as to what works, so you just gotta experiment with things and see what works. I used to take Valerian Caps like a year ago and they helped with my anxiety and my sleep issues substantially. The only problem I found with them is I built up a tolerance pretty quick and started having to take like 6-8 caps at a time to get the same effects. I also used to take piracetam, and that really helped with the brain fog and some of the speech problems I used to have so that's something to look into.

yeah, it is personal. My current list of fun is acetyl cysteine (not l-cysteine which is poorly metabolised), high dose vit d (5000iu per day), magnesium, and am currently trying vit k2 and glycine with unspectacular results. Piracetam and gingko didnt do much for me but are good for others. I've got some v high dose vit b12 and b6 (bought for my wife when getting morning sickness) and seems to perk me up a bit. Best for me is acetyl cysteine tho - totally killed my anxiety and brain fog with lasting effects. I also take msm and fish oil but that is more cos i am paranoid about my joints but they do nothing for my hppd. Strangely, acetyl carnitine and cinnamon both make me depressed.

o ok, brandon-------i don't know just knew what it (cysteine) was, figured there was a supplement similar lol----------------glycine i hear you have to eat it by the spoonfuls lol...........there is another thing related to glycine that is far less cumbersome to take -----let me look----

Nootropics include a HUGE amount of drugs-----some are illegal and i would definitely not advise you taking them esp. with HPPD; but others are helpful such as vitamins and antioxidants etc.

Lion's Mane Mushroom works with increasing levels of NGF (Nerve Growth Factor), which helps regrow brain cells.

mg - the less cumbersome glycine form is sarcosine (methyl glycine) but i cant find anyone who sells it in uk except in overpriced Testaforce. I asked Bulk Powders to look into supplying it. Glycine is cheap and sweet so eating by the spoonful isnt too hard, but can't say so far that it is a life-changer.

This is gonna sound weird.......but i have been feeling better from large "doses" of David-brand sunflower seeds-----you know salted with the shells still on. It actually includes a fair amount of vitamins and minerals and may include iodine in the salt (or what ever if that helps).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

If you eat a ketogenic diet it will work as a natural medicine to slow down overactivity in your brain that's causing anxiety or visual disturbances. This has been proven in a study. You can read more about this here:

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/dietary-therapies/ketogenic-diet

Kids have had their seizures reduced with 50%. It doesn't have to say that your HPPD will be reduced too, but it does in fact work at some level.

So if you want to adjust your diet to your illness. LCHF is the way to go. Eating a lot of fish and seafood combined with good vegetables that grow above the ground and mushrooms is the ideal diet for HPPD. If you stick to this diet you don't need any other vitamins, minerals or supplements as this diet will provide you with everything you need and even more, as it will possibly reduce over-activity in the visual cortex.

The only ones I've found helpful are a B complex for energy and to combat DP/DR and brain fog (also a good one to take if you smoke/drink), and L-theanine for sleep quality and overall brain health. 

Adding some extra magnesium to your daily intake is probably good too although I haven't noticed much of a difference (maybe I haven't taken enough).  I take it at night... it's supposed to improve sleep.

I believe maintaining a good blood level of vitamin D is good for your mood and overall health (and most people that don't live near the equator are very deficient).  I take 5000mg a day all fall and winter and around 1000mg the rest of the year unless I'm out in the sun all day. 

I also take 2000 mg of fish oil a day and a multivitamin about 3 times a week or more depending on how I've been eating.  And I drink high quality loose leaf tea most days (Japanese green tea is the most healthy).

I've found the only one that directly helps with HPPD symptoms is the B complex.  I'm going to up my magnesium and see if it helps.

If I had to pick 5 it would be the B, fish oil, tea, theanine and D.

Just my own impressions...

• Upvote 2

I think the most impact you can have is to eat a healthy low carb (whole grain) diet with lots of leafy greens, veggies and lean meats in small portions.  Something like the Mediterranean diet.  And get plenty of exercise, fresh air, sunshine, clean water and good quality sleep. Meditation is also very good for HPPD symptoms.  No drugs (obviously) and keep the smoking and drinking to a reasonable level.

I'm terrible about doing all of those things.

I think the most impact you can have is to eat a healthy low carb (whole grain) diet with lots of leafy greens, veggies and lean meats in small portions. Something like the Mediterranean diet. And get plenty of exercise, fresh air, sunshine, clean water and good quality sleep. Meditation is also very good for HPPD symptoms. No drugs (obviously) and keep the smoking and drinking to a reasonable level.

I'm terrible about doing all of those things.

Hi,

Well im a vegan who eats high carb low fat, do you think this worsens my hppd??