Bit of an idea for possible CURE. Has some weight to it.

Fawkinchit

Choline acetyltransferase (abbreviated "ChAT") is an enzyme that is synthesized within the body of a neuron. It is then transferred to the nerve terminal via axoplasmic flow. The role of choline acetyltransferase is to join Acetyl-CoA to choline, resulting in the formation of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.[1] In humans, the choline acetyltransferase enyzme is encoded by the CHAT gene.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choline_acetyltransferase

AcetylCholine biosynthesis.

• 2 weeks later...

Why aren't stem cells discussed on this thread?

Seems to be a few reports coming out that they can repair brain damage as this is what it is, right?

^

This is purely my speculation but i think HPPD has more to do with changes in our brain rather than to say it is damaged. 

Like how the brain creates memory. Stem cell therapy isnt going to delete that memory...... or will it? i dont know anything about science but just my 2cents.

Why aren't stem cells discussed on this thread?

Seems to be a few reports coming out that they can repair brain damage as this is what it is, right?

They absolutely would I believe. But how would you begin to obtain them, and how would you get them in to the various parts of the brain.

^

This is purely my speculation but i think HPPD has more to do with changes in our brain rather than to say it is damaged. 

Like how the brain creates memory. Stem cell therapy isnt going to delete that memory...... or will it? i dont know anything about science but just my 2cents.

Its generally best not to make assumptions based off of no research. People do it alot for some reason though. Read this entire thread, its pretty much already been shown to be a case of neuroexcitotoxicity.

Lots of talk around the hppd campfire of this condition being a case of neuronal excitotoxicity.

Good! Not sure what the hppd campfire is though?

I think you guys are oversimplifying the brain, and the way it's chemicals interact with each other. The deeper you dig the less simple it becomes. Even companies that produce drugs for the brain (read: SSRIs) are unsure of how these work. Hell, they can't even measure the levels of seretonin in the brain; only the gut. 

I don't mean to discourage amateur research, but I think the premise of this thread "push/pull, north south," is taking a complex problem and pairing it with a simple solution. I doubt there is a way to reverse what we have done, but there is possibly a crutch that exists to help us. The brain wants to return to homeostasis, as does everything else in nature. I truly believe that brain reconditioning and "la la la, if I don't acknowledge the symptoms they will go away" will heal us. You're body was intelligent enough to create you from a fetus, and it knows that something is wrong now. If you give it the time, vitamins, and environment it needs, it will heal.

Thinks about the idea of brain plasticity. Anything from, exercise to diet will change your brain. Now, compare your lifestyle (thought pattern, activity level, nutrition, stress) of yourself now to how you were before hppd. A lot different, hey? Your reactions to your symptoms now could be perpetuating them, leading to some horrible hppd cycle.

My point being, I doubt a chemical will "push" your brain back to where it was. However, it will find it's way back if you let it.

Just my 2 cents

I think you guys are oversimplifying the brain, and the way it's chemicals interact with each other. The deeper you dig the less simple it becomes. Even companies that produce drugs for the brain (read: SSRIs) are unsure of how these work. Hell, they can't even measure the levels of seretonin in the brain; only the gut. 

I don't mean to discourage amateur research, but I think the premise of this thread "push/pull, north south," is taking a complex problem and pairing it with a simple solution. I doubt there is a way to reverse what we have done, but there is possibly a crutch that exists to help us. The brain wants to return to homeostasis, as does everything else in nature. I truly believe that brain reconditioning and "la la la, if I don't acknowledge the symptoms they will go away" will heal us. You're body was intelligent enough to create you from a fetus, and it knows that something is wrong now. If you give it the time, vitamins, and environment it needs, it will heal.

Thinks about the idea of brain plasticity. Anything from, exercise to diet will change your brain. Now, compare your lifestyle (thought pattern, activity level, nutrition, stress) of yourself now to how you were before hppd. A lot different, hey? Your reactions to your symptoms now could be perpetuating them, leading to some horrible hppd cycle.

My point being, I doubt a chemical will "push" your brain back to where it was. However, it will find it's way back if you let it.

Just my 2 cents

False, the brain though vast is a complex yet simple vibromimetic resonator

Also false, the brain will not heal itself, if you haven't noticed yet that the scars on your arms don't heal to normal skin tissue. And quadriplegics never walk again then you have ALOT of learning to do and seem like a dreamer.

I also question whether you read the entire thread, this is no long "amateur" research it's become obvious fact.

BTW einstein started without any degrees and never went to college, he's was given a degree. That should show you what "amateur" research does. BTW his theory on time is not correct.

Time to hit the books.

BTW einstein started without any degrees and never went to college, he's was given a degree. That should show you what "amatuer" research does. BTW his theory on time is not correct.

Time to hit the books.

All people start without degrees ;)

That being said, Einstein went to a Swiss polytechnic university and obtained exceptional grades in mathematics and physics on his entrance exam. He was no amateur and received education in his field.

Which "theory on time" are you referring to? His special and general theories of relativity both deal with time, and how time is measured in different frames of reference. Both have been confirmed to a very high level of accuracy, and underpin much modern technology.

Sorry qaiphyx, I meant no offence.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by the brain being a "vibromimetic resonator"

But I think you are referring to this: http://pondscienceinstitute.on-rev.com/svpwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Volumetric+Resonator

Which goes onto talk about homeostatis and the like. Which is what I was implying in my earlier response.

It is well known that the brain can and WILL heal itself. This is well established and documented; see any stroke victim or the like.

The comparison between scars on your skin and hppd is completely irrelevant. If you have ever taken any drug, and had it wear off, you will have noticed that your brain returned to it's normal state.

I don't think you understand what constitutes "amateur research." Just because something is true does not mean it is not amateur.

Your last quip about Einstein is just completely incorrect. He was well schooled and attended university.

I don't mean to crap on your thread but I think it's pretty rude to call me a dreamer and tell me to "hit the books." I've been to college, suffered with this for 5 years, and seen every professional you can think of.

*Edit

All people start without degrees  ;)

That being said, Einstein went to a Swiss polytechnic university and obtained exceptional grades in mathematics and physics on his entrance exam. He was no amateur and received education in his field.

Which "theory on time" are you referring to? His special and general theories of relativity both deal with time, and how time is measured in different frames of reference. Both have been confirmed to a very high level of accuracy, and underpin much modern technology.

Hur hur hur. Regardless, just because were amateurs doesn't mean we cant accomplish great things. Its all about gravity, and in the end, though highly accurate, its incorrect and has been shown to be wrong by Marko Rodin.

And I was wrong Einstein did go to college.  

Seeing as this thread is twenty-something pages long, and is derailing a bit.. Qaiphyx would you mind summarizing your theory, so we can further the discussion on what may help? Kind of hard to figure out this discussion, moreover there's a lot of misinformation in it (e.g. "neurons cant regrow you have the same number since you are born " which is of course complete bullocks), but also some more sensible ideas (e.g. "HPPD attributed to certain drugs may carry certain consistencies to only their respective causal-drug", and possible neuroendocrinological dysfunction and the involvement of stress).

I've not much better to do at the moment, so I'll try to summarize some ideas that have been proposed in this thread:

• 5HT2a inverse agonism/antagonism/downregulation/dysfunction/involvement (possibly a little bit of a hyperfocus on 5HT, IMO)
  • Involvement of (metabotropic) glutamate receptors?
  • Calcium channels
  • Prodopaminergics
  • Neuro/excitotoxicity, both acute and prolonged
  • (epi)genetics
  • Mitochondrial respiration
  • Cannabiniods, Glutamate, and Dopamine in psychosis
  • Demyelination
  • A bunch of stuff about psychosis and anti-psychotics
  • Signal/Noise ratio
  • And a whole lot of unrelated topics

Anyway, if you could summarize and post your hypothesis of your neurogenesis theory, then we can start contributing (instead of fussing about who comprehends Einstein's theories the best, which is totally irrelevant to the discussion). If I understand correctly, you seem to think that HPPD was caused by acute excitotoxicity in the visual cortex, which now needs neurogenesis to be repaired? So what do you propose? Intracranial NGF injections into the visual cortices?

So again: Could we please get back to discussing our ideas about HPPD causes and cures?

Qaiphyx - your arrogance is unrelenting. As far as I can tell we haven't determined anything yet because your theories are, well, theories. Yes, we can certainly achieve a lot as amateurs if we work together (which doesn't include being rude to other members). But there is also something called the 'scientific process' to follow, which does not allow one person to state what they think causes HPPD and pass it off as fact based on a few scribbles and links on an internet forum.

Scientists at A*STAR's Genome Institute of Singapore (GIS) have discovered an unusual gene that controls the generation of neurons. This important finding, which is crucial in understanding serious diseases of the brain such as Alzheimer's disease, was reported in the 8th August 2013 issue of the prestigious scientific journal, Molecular Cell.

The central nervous system is composed of numerous cell types that develop into a complex, higher-ordered structure. The birth of neurons (known as neurogenesis) is a process that requires exquisite temporal and spatial control of hundreds of genes. The expression of these genes is controlled by regulatory networks, usually involving proteins, which play critical roles in establishing and maintaining the nervous system. Problems with neurogenesis are the basis of many neurological disorders, and the understanding of the molecular details of neurogenesis is therefore crucial for developing treatments of serious diseases.

Researchers at the GIS, led by Principal Investigator Prof Lawrence Stanton, discovered a key component within a gene regulatory network which controls the birth of new neurons, called RMST. Surprisingly, this new discovery is not a protein. Rather, RMST is an atypical, long non-coding RNA (lncRNA for short; pronounced as "link RNA"). The new findings demonstrate that the RNA does not produce a protein to handle the regulatory process. Instead, it acts directly as a regulatory mechanism. LncRNAs are a newly discovered class of RNA whose functions remain mostly unknown.

The new discovery of how RMST works within a gene regulatory network not only sheds light on the process of neurogenesis, but also generates new insight into how lncRNA works together with protein components to regulate the important biological processes of gene expression.

Prof Lawrence Stanton said, "There is now great excitement about the revelation that RNA is more than just a messenger carrying genetic information that encodes for proteins. New classes of RNA, called long non-coding RNAs (lncRNA), have been discovered, which are capable of unanticipated functional diversity. However, systematic functional investigations of exactly what, and how, lncRNAs do in our cells remain scant. Our study paves the way for understanding a crucial role played by a lncRNA in human neurons."

Associate Prof Leonard Lipovich, from the Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics at the Wayne State University and a member of GENCODE, said, "In their paper in Molecular Cell, Stanton and colleagues show how RMST, a human lncRNA, directly regulates SOX2, a key transcription factor protein that is instrumental for directing the birth of new neurons. Even more intriguingly, they highlight that RMST controls SOX2 by directly interacting with the protein. The paper is therefore an important advance in the still nascent and controversial field of riboregulators, or RNAs that regulate proteins in our cells. DNA-binding proteins that turn genes on and off were traditionally thought to be distinct from RNA-binding proteins. Stanton et al, however, illuminate the cryptic, yet crucial, RNA-binding roles for DNA-binding transcription factors: lncRNAs just might be the definitive regulatory switch that controls these factors' activity."

GIS Executive Director Prof Huck Hui Ng added, "One cannot overemphasize the importance of neurogenesis, which is responsible for the normal functioning of one of the most important biological systems in the body. Larry Stanton and his team have made an exciting finding, one that could lead to new approaches in the treatment of neural diseases. This latest work has built upon their unique, interdisciplinary expertise, developed over the past 10 years at the GIS, in applying cutting-edge genomics technologies to the study of the human body."

The paper is titled "The Long Noncoding RNA RMST Interacts with SOX2 to Regulate Neurogenesis."

More information: The research findings described in the press release was published in the 8th August 2013 issue of Molecular Cell under the title "The Long Noncoding RNA RMST Interacts with SOX2 to Regulate Neurogenesis".

Provided by Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), Singapore

Seeing as this thread is twenty-something pages long, and is derailing a bit.. Qaiphyx would you mind summarizing your theory, so we can further the discussion on what may help? Kind of hard to figure out this discussion, moreover there's a lot of misinformation in it (e.g. "neurons cant regrow you have the same number since you are born " which is of course complete bullocks), but also some more sensible ideas (e.g. "HPPD attributed to certain drugs may carry certain consistencies to only their respective causal-drug", and possible neuroendocrinological dysfunction and the involvement of stress).

I've not much better to do at the moment, so I'll try to summarize some ideas that have been proposed in this thread:

• 5HT2a inverse agonism/antagonism/downregulation/dysfunction/involvement (possibly a little bit of a hyperfocus on 5HT, IMO)
  • Involvement of (metabotropic) glutamate receptors?
  • Calcium channels
  • Prodopaminergics
  • Neuro/excitotoxicity, both acute and prolonged
  • (epi)genetics
  • Mitochondrial respiration
  • Cannabiniods, Glutamate, and Dopamine in psychosis
  • Demyelination
  • A bunch of stuff about psychosis and anti-psychotics
  • Signal/Noise ratio
  • And a whole lot of unrelated topics

Anyway, if you could summarize and post your hypothesis of your neurogenesis theory, then we can start contributing (instead of fussing about who comprehends Einstein's theories the best, which is totally irrelevant to the discussion). If I understand correctly, you seem to think that HPPD was caused by acute excitotoxicity in the visual cortex, which now needs neurogenesis to be repaired? So what do you propose? Intracranial NGF injections into the visual cortices?

So again: Could we please get back to discussing our ideas about HPPD causes and cures?

Yah I will as soon as I get some free time. I thought everything was pretty clear 

Scientists at A*STAR's Genome Institute of Singapore (GIS) have discovered an unusual gene that controls the generation of neurons. This important finding, which is crucial in understanding serious diseases of the brain such as Alzheimer's disease, was reported in the 8th August 2013 issue of the prestigious scientific journal, Molecular Cell.

The central nervous system is composed of numerous cell types that develop into a complex, higher-ordered structure. The birth of neurons (known as neurogenesis) is a process that requires exquisite temporal and spatial control of hundreds of genes. The expression of these genes is controlled by regulatory networks, usually involving proteins, which play critical roles in establishing and maintaining the nervous system. Problems with neurogenesis are the basis of many neurological disorders, and the understanding of the molecular details of neurogenesis is therefore crucial for developing treatments of serious diseases.

Researchers at the GIS, led by Principal Investigator Prof Lawrence Stanton, discovered a key component within a gene regulatory network which controls the birth of new neurons, called RMST. Surprisingly, this new discovery is not a protein. Rather, RMST is an atypical, long non-coding RNA (lncRNA for short; pronounced as "link RNA"). The new findings demonstrate that the RNA does not produce a protein to handle the regulatory process. Instead, it acts directly as a regulatory mechanism. LncRNAs are a newly discovered class of RNA whose functions remain mostly unknown.

The new discovery of how RMST works within a gene regulatory network not only sheds light on the process of neurogenesis, but also generates new insight into how lncRNA works together with protein components to regulate the important biological processes of gene expression.

Prof Lawrence Stanton said, "There is now great excitement about the revelation that RNA is more than just a messenger carrying genetic information that encodes for proteins. New classes of RNA, called long non-coding RNAs (lncRNA), have been discovered, which are capable of unanticipated functional diversity. However, systematic functional investigations of exactly what, and how, lncRNAs do in our cells remain scant. Our study paves the way for understanding a crucial role played by a lncRNA in human neurons."

Associate Prof Leonard Lipovich, from the Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics at the Wayne State University and a member of GENCODE, said, "In their paper in Molecular Cell, Stanton and colleagues show how RMST, a human lncRNA, directly regulates SOX2, a key transcription factor protein that is instrumental for directing the birth of new neurons. Even more intriguingly, they highlight that RMST controls SOX2 by directly interacting with the protein. The paper is therefore an important advance in the still nascent and controversial field of riboregulators, or RNAs that regulate proteins in our cells. DNA-binding proteins that turn genes on and off were traditionally thought to be distinct from RNA-binding proteins. Stanton et al, however, illuminate the cryptic, yet crucial, RNA-binding roles for DNA-binding transcription factors: lncRNAs just might be the definitive regulatory switch that controls these factors' activity."

GIS Executive Director Prof Huck Hui Ng added, "One cannot overemphasize the importance of neurogenesis, which is responsible for the normal functioning of one of the most important biological systems in the body. Larry Stanton and his team have made an exciting finding, one that could lead to new approaches in the treatment of neural diseases. This latest work has built upon their unique, interdisciplinary expertise, developed over the past 10 years at the GIS, in applying cutting-edge genomics technologies to the study of the human body."

The paper is titled "The Long Noncoding RNA RMST Interacts with SOX2 to Regulate Neurogenesis."

More information: The research findings described in the press release was published in the 8th August 2013 issue of Molecular Cell under the title "The Long Noncoding RNA RMST Interacts with SOX2 to Regulate Neurogenesis".

Provided by Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), Singapore

Now this is significant

Here is what I can promise you.

Nothing will ever happen in as far as a cure goes if we don't reach out to anyone working on anything relevant that might help us. Outreach is the key. Trust me, you don't want 15 years if your life to go by and end up old, alone and grey with hppd. Prevent it by making it your mission all if us to reach out to the scientific community. Lord knows I tried as you can see with that pinned post labeled "Aggresive Advocacy" but I'm just one guy and not as bright as some of you. Many of you can articulate this problem to those who can probably help or at the very least spur interest.

You don't want to be Middle Aged with this so I suggest more be done.

Seriously, I'm really living on borrowed time.

I'm at the end of my rope and at 43 with life literally being in the toilet, lost my marriage and have a son with autism, probably because of hppd, I can't see myself making it to 50 and not because I want to die but because my body can't take the neurological disconnect for much longer. The dysfunction is affecting my physicality, the stress is prematurely aging me and I'm greeting at a rapid pace. With everything that is going on in medicine, this theoretically small community needs and deserved help. I had 27 excellent years of life before getting crucified with this shit but I want to live. I want to help my son, I want to contribute to society, be a good man, lead a good fulfilling life. Never had I would have ever thought I'd be living back home at my age, a disgrace to my family and an utter failure. I know I'm better than this but the damage to my mind makes it virtually impossible for me to keep carrying on the act. Help yourselves by reaching out to tedearchers who can help. Don't let your life go by without having tried because the steps taken now can change the future and the focus on this condition. For all that is good I hope help does come because you don't want to be like me.

Seriously, I'm really living on borrowed time.

I'm at the end of my rope and at 43 with life literally being in the toilet, lost my marriage and have a son with autism, probably because of hppd, I can't see myself making it to 50 and not because I want to die but because my body can't take the neurological disconnect for much longer. The dysfunction is affecting my physicality, the stress is prematurely aging me and I'm greeting at a rapid pace. With everything that is going on in medicine, this theoretically small community needs and deserved help. I had 27 excellent years of life before getting crucified with this shit but I want to live. I want to help my son, I want to contribute to society, be a good man, lead a good fulfilling life. Never had I would have ever thought I'd be living back home at my age, a disgrace to my family and an utter failure. I know I'm better than this but the damage to my mind makes it virtually impossible for me to keep carrying on the act. Help yourselves by reaching out to tedearchers who can help. Don't let your life go by without having tried because the steps taken now can change the future and the focus on this condition. For all that is good I hope help does come because you don't want to be like me.

Edited

If hppd isn't bad enough along with the cormirbituties like tinnitus and dp/dr, it's all the other baggage and wear n tear that really makes life hard. 43 may not sound old but add degenerative disc disease, a touch of arthritis from a torn meniscus, anxiety that wobbles like a pendulum: all in all it really makes an already troubling situation that more harrowing. I hope you guys muster the intellect needed to beat this beast because that's what it is: a bloody relentless, heartless beast that simply wants to suck any semblance if normality and happiness away. I hope you guys are successful and hope even more that I can thank you all who helped crack the hppd code.

I hope...

If hppd isn't bad enough along with the cormirbituties like tinnitus and dp/dr, it's all the other baggage and wear n tear that really makes life hard. 43 may not sound old but add degenerative disc disease, a touch of arthritis from a torn meniscus, anxiety that wobbles like a pendulum: all in all it really makes an already troubling situation that more harrowing. I hope you guys muster the intellect needed to beat this beast because that's what it is: a bloody relentless, heartless beast that simply wants to suck any semblance if normality and happiness away. I hope you guys are successful and hope even more that I can thank you all who helped crack the hppd code.

I hope...

Edited