Bit of an idea for possible CURE. Has some weight to it.

Fawkinchit

They say up to 30% of people could have genetic issues relating to the (de)activation of the protein Cytochrome P450 [this is used for the metabolism of most drugs].

If the drugs are metabolized faster, the chance (in my mind) of lingering, long-term effects on the brain are lessened. These ~30% are slow metabolizers.

The pertinent subgroup is CYP3A4.

Demethylation is the chemical process resulting in the removal a of methyl group (CH3) from a molecule. A common way of demethylation is the replacement of a methyl group by a hydrogen atom, resulting in a net loss of one carbon and two hydrogen atoms.

One example would be demethylation of neurotrophic factor genes in dentate gyrus neurons through

deep-electrical stimulation.

Neurotrophic factors are a family of proteins that are responsible for the growth and survival of developing neurons and the maintenance of mature neurons. Recent research has proven that neurotrophic factors promote the initial growth and development of neurons in the central nervous system and peripheral nervous system and that they are capable of regrowing damaged neurons in test tubes and animal models. Neurotrophic factors are often released by the target tissue in order to guide the growth of developing axons. Most neurotrophic factors belong to one of three families: (1) neurotrophins, (2) glial cell-line derived neurotrophic factor family ligands (GFLs), and (3) neuropoietic cytokines. Each family has its own distinct signaling family though the cellular responses elicited often do overlap.

Currently, neurotrophic factors are being intensely studied for use in bioartificial nerve conduits because they are necessary in vivo for directing axon growth and regeneration. In studies, neurotrophic factors are normally used in conjunction with other techniques such as biological and physical cues created by the addition of cells and specific topographies. The neurotrophic factors may or may not be immobilized to the scaffold structure, though immobilization is preferred because it allows for the creation of permanent, controllable gradients. In some cases, such as neural drug delivery systems, they are loosely immobilized such that they can be selectively released at specified times and in specified amounts.

Deep-Brain Stimulation (DBS)

It has been shown in thalamic slices from mice[9] that DBS causes nearby astrocytes to release adenosine triphosphate (ATP), a precursor to adenosine (through a catabolic process). In turn, adenosine A1 receptor activation depresses excitatory transmission in the thalamus, thus causing an inhibitory effect that mimicks ablation or "lesioning".

[note: in the Epigen/DNA thread I had crossed-out Radio-Frequency Ablation (RFA) {haha}]

Substance-induced psychosis is a form of substance-related disorder where psychosis can be attributed to substance use.

Various psychoactive substances (both legal and illegal) have been implicated in causing, exacerbating, and/or precipitating psychotic states and/or disorders in users. This is also true of several medications that are not traditionally considered psychoactive drugs.

Contents

[hide]

[edit]Substances

Psychotic states may occur after ingesting a variety of substances both legal and illegal and both prescription and non-prescription. Usually such states are temporary and not irreversible, with fluoroquinolone-induced psychosis being a notable exception. Drugs whose use, abuse or withdrawal are implicated include the following:

[edit]ICD-10

• F10.5 alcohol:[1][2][3] Alcohol is a common risk of causing psychotic disorders or episodes, which may occur through acute intoxication, chronic alcoholism, withdrawal, exacerbation of existing disorders, or acute idiosyncratic reactions.[4] Research has shown that alcohol abuse causes an 8-fold increased risk of psychotic disorders in men and a 3 fold increased risk of psychotic disorders in women.[5][6] While the vast majority of cases are acute and resolve fairly quickly upon treatment and/or abstinence, they can occasionally become chronic and persistent.[4] Alcoholic psychosis is sometimes misdiagnosed as another mental illness such asschizophrenia.[7]

• F12.5 cannabinoid: Some studies indicate that cannabis, especially certain strains containing large proportions of THC and low proportions of CBD,[8] may lower the threshold for psychosis, and thus help to trigger full-blown psychosis in some people.[9] Early studies have been criticized for failing to consider other drugs (such asLSD) that the participants may have used before or during the study, as well as other factors such as pre-existing ("comorbid") mental illness. However, more recent studies with better controls have still found an increase in risk for psychosis in cannabis users, albeit a more modest one.[10] It is still not clear whether this is a causal link, and it is possible that cannabis use only increases the chance of psychosis in people already predisposed to it; or that people with developing psychosis usecannabis to provide temporary relief of their mental discomfort. Cannabis use has increased dramatically over past few decades but declined in the last decade, whereas the rate of psychosis has not increased. This suggests that a direct causal link is unlikely for all users.[11]

• F16.5 hallucinogens (LSD and others)

The code F11.5 is reserved for opioid-induced psychosis, and F17.5 is reserved for tobacco-induced psychosis, but neither substance is traditionally associated with the induction of psychosis.

The code F15.5 also includes caffeine-induced psychosis, despite not being specifically listed in the DSM-IV. However, there is evidence that caffeine, in extreme acute doses or when severely abused for long periods of time, may induce psychosis.[24][25]

[edit]Other

• Synthetic research chemicals used recreationally, including:
    • JWH-018 and some other synthetic cannabinoids, or mixtures containing them (e.g. "Spice", "Kronic", "MNG" or "Mr. Nice Guy", "Relaxinol", etc.).[51] Various "JWH-XXX" compounds in "Spice" or "Incense" [52] have also been found.
    • Mephedrone and related amphetamine-like drugs sold as "bath salts" or "plant food".[53]

Several types of psychoactive drugs have been shown to correlate with psychotic breaks.[10] Examples of drugs that have been associated with psychotic breaks areLSD, dextromethorphan (in higher doses), Marijuana, PCP, and opiates (mainly from experiencing withdrawal symptoms).[citation needed]

The compulsive drug user may find their ego dissociating in a psychotic break if habituation means the drug can no longer fulfil its defensive function

In my mind, what some people view as HPPD is a form of psychosis. If you have long-term anxiety or depression, or hallucinations, caused by substance use, essentially in my mind it is of neuropathological origin and creates a varying distance from "reality": psychosis.

[edit]

The similarities with distorted perceptions (such as with HPPD) and psychosis cannot be dismissed. However, by definition it has much to do with a persons coping/believe mechanism. Examples:

Depression used to be considered a distorted view of reality ... now it is acknowledged as a more-accurate view of reality but inadiquate coping skills. IMO this major change has come about since the whole human race can now easily end due to social-political instability combined with use of technology (A-bomb, pollution, global warning, over population ...)

Anxiety and depression are twins. Again our response to anxiety is how we manage it ... are we hypervigilent (out of control)? ... or do we accept that there are some things we cannot control and learn to find peace with it?

With HPPD we have some changes in perceptions (CEVs, snow, depth changes, DR, DP, anxiety, movement of stationary object, etc...). But unlike official psychosis, these don't prevent us working, living ... and even finding happiness -- when it does prevent us, either it is still new with us or comorbid conditions are at blame (at least officially).

So in a sense, it comes down to the degree of distortions we face. John Nash, a scientist with schizophrenia, largely overcame it (controls it, not cured) by ignoring distortions and avoiding anything that increases them ... but this did not change the diagnosis, nor should it.

Some definitions:

Reality --- "The world or the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them"

Psychosis --- "Psychosis is a symptom or feature of mental illness typically characterized by radical changes in personality, impaired functioning, and a distorted or nonexistent sense of objective reality"

Of course we are left with the question, "What is Reality?" Is an idealist psychotic? (hardly).

Since the brain is a "meaning making machine" and perceptions are "the combination of stimuli (sensory input) and past experience (memory)" ... there is much we can do.

In the end, however long it takes for symptoms to resolve, our focus needs to be on positive activities, goals, and livestyles. Encourage hope and put energies toward the things you still can do and persue...

Exactly. That's my point. John Nash is the originator of Game Theory and a schizophrenic. Game theory, while it is mathematical, is directly related to social darwinism, political science, and the nature of modern-day capitalistic, fast-paced society.

Is John Nash more in touch with the reality of modern society mechanics, or is he actually distanced from reality and on the brink of complete lunacy?

There are mathematical equations attached to his theories, but in terms of the universe often the final equation is 1=0, or E=m.

I am a math person and I can vouch for this.

As for a metaphor, there is one that comes to mind the quickest. In the late 18th, the US colonies dissented, and 21st century, you can say that people at Ruby Ridge/Waco were dissenters. But whats the difference? Power, and perception of the situation.

Much of this is like the idea of craziness. Power of our own reality and the perception of what is normal and sane.

Ever see the b&w Twilight Zone episode with the pig-nose people?

Firstly, don't believe any definition unless it is from the Oxford dictionary.

Secondly, reality does not have to include anything involving idealism. [show me your references]

Thirdly, you cannot tell me that trails, jumped frames, hallucinations, paranoia, etc. is a reflection of what most people consider reality.

Reality and normalcy are concepts largely defined by the masses.

Even though the genesis of these concepts may be propagated by an smaller esoteric group. [e.g- propaganda, political manipulation, etc.]

Is John Nash more in touch with the reality of modern society mechanics?

Hard to know without talking with the fellow. But society is definately schizo --- they give a guy a Nobel prize for pointing out that being selfish is less profitable than teamwork (simplification here) yet we live in an increasingly selfish world (i.e. they don't bother with what he said).

Firstly, don't believe any definition unless it is from the Oxford dictionary.

OK, Some Oxford definitions:

Reality --- "The world or the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them"

Psychosis --- "A severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality"

BTW, who does Oxford think he is!?!

Curiously, Mr Oxford put idea in the definition twice...

Secondly, reality does not have to include anything involving idealism. [show me your references]

The Oxford reference: "as opposed to an idealistic ... idea of them"

Thirdly, you cannot tell me that trails, jumped frames, hallucinations, paranoia, etc. is a reflection of what most people consider reality.

This is an election day in the USA. The above seems to be the normal behavioural presentation for politicians.

Reality and normalcy are concepts largely defined by the masses.

Yup. But there are some interesting points not to miss. First, there are points of referance that we all can use in order to communicate (hence Mr Oxford waltzes in for the language department).

Lets take the color Blue. Seeing blue is a perception of certain wavelengths of light. Blue doesn't really exist. Your blue and my blue could be quite different ... yet we are able to discuss the color without confusion. [Warning: Trivia] 10% of men are color blind and most often in the blue-green area [End-of-Trivia]

The blue discussion gets more interesting [slightly] when you find out that cones for "seeing" blue are only in the center field of vision. And even more interesting that in the very center (fovia) there are no blue cones either. Yet the brain seamingly calculates this all and makes life run smoothly.

Ever see the b&w Twilight Zone episode with the pig-nose people?

They are common around here ... but only with color

pig-snout-2.jpg138193320_0f88a3dc40.jpg

Here's my point: I wouldn't exactly consider hallucinations and psychosis as "an idealistic or notional idea of the state of things as they actually exist".

Distortions such as hallucinations and psychosis, in it of itself, is not a scientific proclamation/process [by the patient], nor an "unrealistic aiming for perfection".

[http://oxforddiction...s&q=idealistic]

[http://oxforddiction...&q=imagination]

http://www.sci-news....ticle00701.html

something interesting...

"A gene that is associated with regeneration of injured nerve cells has been identified by a team of researchers led by Prof Melissa Rolls of Penn State University."

Ocular-migraine-Image.jpgThese are pics of ocular migraines I get occasionally. The light show usually lasts from 15 to 35 min. mainly in my peripheral vision, one and sometimes both eyes are involved. After the crazy lights subside I get major migraines for 4 to 6 hrs. Although some ppl get ocular migraines w/o the horrific migraine afterwards.

I get daily tension, cluster headaches and headpressure, but exercise helps greatly keeping those in check.

Although migraines (w/ or w/o visuals) usually get worse if I try to exercise best to lay in a dark quite room.

I just try to be active and most of these hppd (anxiety) induced headaches will come and go through out the day but aren't nearly as severe.

As far as meds, try muscle relaxers like flexeril, soma or zanaflex. If they still won't go away vicodin, percocet and benzo's will knock them out. Narcotics are obviously the last resort since we get these on a daily basis so you'll always have to be taking them. Try the muscle relaxers, Zanaflex and Soma work the best with minimum addiction.

1998 mentioned Flexeril as an anti-spastic, muscle relaxant [probable 5ht2a blocker].

Looks GOOD! [RIP Whitney]

[http://en.wikipedia....yclobenzaprine] [also look up Periactin]

Hey so HPPD is a pretty rare condition to have, and it made me start to think "how is my brain different?"

One thing came into my mind, which was something I have had since I was a child

It is officially called ASMR. I have taken it for granted since I have had it all my life. Alot of people have it but do not even know it has an official name

Basically it is a "Tingling sensation" that comes in the back of your head, that can be 'triggered' by certain external activities. It is a very good feeling, euphoric. Similar to goosebumps, but in a pleasurable way.

It's triggered by obvious things like really enjoyable music, epic and emotional moments in films, but also by stranger things like when someone is trying to tell you to do something but you're not really listening, certain voice patterns, when people talk to you slowly, and hair cuts.

Just an off thought, worth investigating.

Chances are it doesn't, but please post if this does or does not affect you so I can confirm/deny this passing thought.

Thanks!

Matt

I took this from a year-old topic before i had ever joined this site.

It talks about Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR). This is something that has made my wellbeing for most of my life. But when I became stricken with HPPD, it went away virtually completely. It is slowly coming back. I hope everyone starts coming back.

["]http://www.asmr-research.org/] [http://ask.metafilter.com/19958/What-is-this-tingling-sensation]

A hallucination, in the broadest sense of the word, is a perception in the absence of a stimulus. In a stricter sense, hallucinations are defined as perceptions in a conscious and awake state in the absence of external stimuli which have qualities of real perception, in that they are vivid, substantial, and located in external objective space. The latter definition distinguishes hallucinations from the related phenomena of dreaming, which does not involve wakefulness; illusion, which involves distorted or misinterpreted real perception; imagery, which does not mimic real perception and is under voluntary control; and pseudohallucination, which does not mimic real perception, but is not under voluntary control.[1] Hallucinations also differ from "delusional perceptions", in which a correctly sensed and interpreted stimulus (i.e. a real perception) is given some additional (and typically bizarre) significance.

{http://en.wikipedia..../Hallucination}

~What are the chances of any of us having HPPD without ever having hallucinated, or without ever having taken hallucinogens [or the like] ?